Springers in the sandy

O
OneMore
Just wanted to get some info on springers in the sandy river. Is there a good enough run of them to target. Any hints on spots or styles. Im not looking for secret info or honey holes unless you feel up to giving it out. When would you want to start targeting them? Thanks for any help and good luck out there.

F
fishn
The sandy gets a good run of springers. Any where up and down the river that you can find deep pools will hold fish. Your best bet would be bobber and eggs. June is a good month to find them there. Hope this helps!

B
BobberDown
there is a good run of sprnger they will start to show in the lower river ove the next cuple of weeks they should be in the lower river in good numbers next month andin june they will be al over the river with good numbers holding in the deeper hole in the upper river into july i would use bobber and eggs and drift fish with eggs or corkie and yarn or i like to drift fish for springers and coho with the schlappen drifters i have on my web site or a lot of people like to use spinners if you have a boat while that is a hole new ball game good luck feel free to pm me if you have any question i keep up on the sandy and clack very well thanks Dan

T
The Nothing
i'm trying as hard as i can to get myself to wait two more weeks before i go to the sandy. i'm itching to go though

A
ArcticAmoeba
You guys wait too long to start targeting fish. Right now the Sandy is prime time. You can hook up with Winters, Summers, and Springers. I did something like that last week. Had a fish on that ran right at me, straight up river...'Twas a fresh Scummer I'm sure of it, but she was a hook spitter.. Then on a float through a gnar deep hole I like for lazy, biggun Winters I had a fish that broke off but I never saw it... But it just did the Chinook dig. Propably a fresh Springer, seeing how low we were, or real deal, giant wild fish. They do that dig too, but not like Chinook! Then the only keeper was a peachy little winter, 4-5 pounds, and still nice and bright. So there you go, just fish, the swimmers are there, and right now you can hook all kinds of variety. Out of 4 hookups, got one to the bank, and had one, possibly two other species/runs on as well.

O
OneMore
Super nice thanks for the info guys. Just thinking about when I should up my leaders a little. Ive been running 8# pline but Im not sure that would hold up to the springers. Think I'll go with 12 may be a little big for steel but that way if I hoop up on nookie ill have a chance.

A
ArcticAmoeba
Most Steelhead right now are on the spooky side, but if you present your stuff proper with 12, you will have no problem hooking Steelhead with it. And the 12 does give you a fightin chance at bankin a Chinook.

A
ArcticAmoeba
Spring sickness

Spring sickness

Just heard dunno if its true, but aparantly at a hole down low somewhere there were two fin clipped Chinook pulled out by a pair of older gents this weekend. I believe this is true, or could very well be, but I just never get out on the Sandy. But I do believe I hooked a burly Steelhead, or a chance Springer late last week. So gear up for Sandy Springers?? Anyone have any solid info on this? I guess I'll bust out the stick, dust 'er off a bit. It's been 7 months since its seen a Sandy Chinook... I guess what I'm wondering is am I ready to gear up and switch tactics for Chinook? Or should I just take the chance hook-ups for a while, and get rocked out a few too many times, and then switch it up like last year...:confused: I need new drag washers in an old reel, and a new guide tied in on an old stick. What should my penny pinchin mind do? Springers...Whadda ya gonna do!

B
BobberDown
well i know a cuple guids fishing the sandy every daythey are steelhead fishing but they will start to target springers around the end of the month i do know of to confirmed springer but it is still very early you probley did hook into a big steelhead last year i took a 19 puond hackery fish it was just like a spring fight i thought it was a springer it never did jump it just barryed me on the bottum he took a jig out of 19 feet of water those deep salmon looking hole can hold a lot of big lazy steelhead and right now is when i see the most of those big deep water fish good luck Dan

F
FishKiller23
ArcticAmoeba said:
Just heard dunno if its true, but aparantly at a hole down low somewhere there were two fin clipped Chinook pulled out by a pair of older gents this weekend. I believe this is true, or could very well be, but I just never get out on the Sandy. But I do believe I hooked a burly Steelhead, or a chance Springer late last week. So gear up for Sandy Springers?? Anyone have any solid info on this? I guess I'll bust out the stick, dust 'er off a bit. It's been 7 months since its seen a Sandy Chinook... I guess what I'm wondering is am I ready to gear up and switch tactics for Chinook? Or should I just take the chance hook-ups for a while, and get rocked out a few too many times, and then switch it up like last year...:confused: I need new drag washers in an old reel, and a new guide tied in on an old stick. What should my penny pinchin mind do? Springers...Whadda ya gonna do!

All I know is you catch fish!!! So I been reading and following a lot of your reports/tips. But your right get out there and fish and thats what i'll be doing.

Y
youngbuck307
S#!% i hit the water like 4 time a week evan though i havent hooked up into a salmo/steelhead yet more time on the water a better chance though...

Last edited by a moderator:
B
BobberDown
that is what leads to susess more ime on the water it is that simple good luck Dan

S
SoylentGreen
ArcticAmoeba said:
Springers...Whadda ya gonna do!

tell me about it. Glad to hear you are hooking some nice fish....and even landing a few!

A
ArcticAmoeba
Geez, only a few lately. I Have been having the absolute wort hook-up to boat/bank rate! It is almost like when Coho jaws magic themselves to another dimension and you loose one, or 30! Haha! Having fun watching a rod bury and stay buried though, even if you don't land it.;):lol:

F
FishKiller23
I was talking with other bankies near st helens and they told me a lot of people will plunk with spin glos on the lower sandy closer to the BIG C. It sure would be a closer drive. Can any one confirm this?

Y
youngbuck307
Yea they plunk down there do pretty good so i been told but just down river from that like by the bridge for 84 is were they mainly are let me know if you head down there i think i want to start pluning...

T
The Nothing
yep, i've seen them and was thinking of doing so tomorrow.

F
Fishtopher
Thats where I honed my plunking skills. Ive seen that stretch of bank covered in fish death back when the Winter Steelhead run was earlier, when there was snow on the ground on Christmas Eve. Be careful in the brush back in there, lottsa homeless camps. Good luck down there. If yall go, shoot me a PM, I'll be your wingman.

Last edited:
F
FishKiller23
Well lets set it up. People can car pull with me or what ever. This year my main goal is to get into the salmon fishing/steelhead instead of just sturgeon and so far I have taged 1 of each. :)

Edit: What are the regulations for the sandy river?For chinook.

Last edited:
Y
youngbuck307
Yea we should all just go down there more polls in the watter some one has to get something between all of us...I just want to get anything on my tag lol.. but when do we want to do the dang thing????