Springer leaders

U
Utahutes
Again new to this going to tie some leaders. Was thinking 12 lb test 2 ft long. What do you experience salmon fisherman use cheers.

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Utahutes said:
Again new to this going to tie some leaders. Was thinking 12 lb test 2 ft long. What do you experience salmon fisherman use cheers.
1st question would be how are you planning on fishing for them.

Bo Peep
Bo Peep
When tying salmon leaders I never use less than 20 pound line I often use thirty so the gear works better.

U
Utahutes
Duckcross said:
When tying salmon leaders I never use less than 20 pound line I often use thirty so the gear works better.
For spring salmon you use 30 lb leader. Was thinking 15 lb max more like 12 in low water

my2labs
my2labs
Getting back to Hooked ups question, the answer likely depends on how you’re fishing them. And personal preference.

Do you want to land all the fish you hook (but maybe hook fewer), or fight more fish for longer, while accepting that some big ones may get away....?

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Utahutes said:
For spring salmon you use 30 lb leader. Was thinking 15 lb max more like 12 in low water
Sounds like you will be trolling. I agree with Duckcross, I never use anything lighter than 20#, mostly 30#. Stiffer line help keep everything from tangling, there's a lot of movement going on in the water. They're not going to be line shy when you're trolling.

Last edited:
hobster
hobster
Hooked Up said:
Sounds like you will be trolling. I agree with Duckcross, I never use anything lighter than 20#, mostly 30#. Stiffer line help keep everything from tangling, there's a lot of movement going on in the water. Their not going to be line shy when you're trolling.

What he said. I use 20 lb usually bank fishing, heavier for trolling.

Bo Peep
Bo Peep
Utahutes said:
Yes I like the heavier leaders as the gear works better and helps protect against their sharp teeth.

Reactions: Utahutes
jamisonace
jamisonace
20 lb fouro for plugs and back bouncing. 5' long for plugs and about 30 -36 inches for back bounces. 30lb big game for trolling.

I hooked one last week on 8lb fishing for steelhead and didn't have a problem fighting it but it eventually came off.

The only thing I'd use a 2' leader for is bobber fishing and I could see going 12 - 15lb if it's low and clear....but I'd still use 20lb flouro.

Leopard Shark
Leopard Shark
Springers tend to be on the bite or not on the bite, when on the bite I haven't found that lighter leaders do any better "like it might in steelhead fishing", that said I tend to use 20 or 25 lb leader for most salmon fisheries, this also helps to deal with them fast if native or being chased by pesky sea lions.
I admit I have caught a number of large salmon on 10 line while searching for steelhead with spinners but I wouldn't call this practice my norm.

U
Utahutes
Hooked Up said:
1st question would be how are you planning on fishing for them.
Under a bobber or drift fishing