Spring salmon setup question

P
Peterhgrimm
Wondering if anyone can help me out with a setup question. I'm trolling for springers on the Willamette using brined whole and cut plug herring with a triangle flasher and about an 8oz lead. Trolling speed about 1.5mph. So far I'm about 0-8 trips since April. Not even a bite, although I've seen a few boated around me.

Here's the question. I think I have everything right in the setup except depth. Super careful to keep my human stink off everything, I even inject the herring with herring oil for extra stink, but still no interest. I'm marking fish on the finder, but they ain't biting. Generally fishing the flood tide early to mid morning to get them up in the water column, and generally setting and varying my line counters around 25-40' in 20-35' of water. Am I fishing too deep, too shallow, or should I just hang it up and make room at the ramp for others?

All advice welcome! I'd love to hook into at least one this season...and they are in.

Thanks.

Casting Call
Casting Call
First welcome aboard! Second: It's only been 22 days since April; third do your HOMEWORK check when the runs will be heavy; fourth be there when the fish are there. GL Tony 10%er

jamisonace
jamisonace
Check out Fishing with David Pyle on YouTube. He uses 8 oz with 25' of line. 0 for 8 is frustrating but stay with it and you'll get some.

Also...as far as scent goes check your dm.

P
Peterhgrimm
Thank you both, I appreciate it! I actually booked a trip with David Pyle in 2 weeks so maybe I'm on the right path...

Reactions: jamisonace
P
Peterhgrimm
Also, yes I do check the count at the falls pretty much daily, and I talk to folks at the ramp whenever they are willing. Thx.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Peterhgrimm said:
Thank you both, I appreciate it! I actually booked a trip with David Pyle in 2 weeks so maybe I'm on the right path...
You're doing everything right. Booking with a guide is key. I don't know David but I've messaged him and he is happy to answer questions. I'm sure he'll help you get it figured out.

Reactions: Peterhgrimm
Casting Call
Casting Call
RU welcome! let us know how u do. Tony 10%er

Reactions: Peterhgrimm
Diehard
Diehard
Welcome aboard good luck and as others have mentioned keep at it you will figure it out đź‘Ť

F
Fishnsleep
How long of a dropper are you using? I use about an 18" dropper, put bait down, tap bottom, reel up one crank. Check to make sure you are near the bottom every so often, let out a little line, feel the bump, weight hitting the bottom, and reel up one crank again. Sounds like you may be inadvertently running along the bottom, not just above it. This will not help, will kick up mud, etc. In about 40' or less I like to be very close to the bottom, over 40' then fishing suspended maybe at 21 to 23 or 24'.

F
Fishnsleep
One other question, how long is your leader from your flasher? What brand/color flasher?

Casting Call
Casting Call
Where ever you fish, ask locals brand/color/ leader. AGAIN do your homework. Don't ask here ask on the Willy. Tony 10%er

P
Peterhgrimm
Well I finally netted a nice 32" hen last week on a whole herring in maybe 18' of water. Persistence pays off, thanks for all the advice.

Reactions: Diehard
P
Peterhgrimm
Setup was a sweet Abby triangle shortbus flasher, 8oz.lead on an 18" dropper, 42" of leader and a whole brined herring.

Reactions: Diehard