Spring Chinook and Sturgeon Info

T
The Nothing
I went to the CDC meeting today, but left early. Having already sat through 2 hours of people that couldn't read their own writing, and generally inept at public speaking, I had to get out of there before I had to sit through about 4 more hours of the same...

anyways, here's the info

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/news/2010/february/021810b.asp

CHINOOK SALMON

Columbia River from Buoy 10 to I-5 Bridge

Anglers will be permitted to fish seven days a week from March 1 through April 18 or until the harvest guideline is achieved. The season will be closed on Tuesdays, March 9, 16, 23 and 30. The purpose of the Tuesday closures is to provide possible commercial fishing days. The daily bag limit is two adipose fin-clipped adult salmon or steelhead in combination, of which no more than one may be a chinook. The rules also allow retention of up to five adipose fin-clipped jack salmon per day.

Columbia River from I-5 Bridge upstream to I-205 Bridge

This area is open to retention of adipose fin-clipped chinook salmon seven days a week from March 1-14 and three days a week Thursday through Saturday from March 18 – April 3, or until the harvest guideline is achieved. The season is closed Tuesday, March 9. The daily bag limit is two adipose fin-clipped adult salmon or steelhead in combination, of which no more than one may be a chinook, and up to five adipose fin-clipped jack salmon per day.

Columbia River from I-205 Bridge upstream to Bonneville Dam

This area will be closed to boat angling for salmon and steelhead through June 15 or until further notice. However, bank angling for salmon will be permitted from the I-205 Bridge upstream to Bonneville Dam seven days a week from March 1 – 14 and Thursday through Saturday March 18 – April 3. The season will be closed Tuesday, March 9.

Columbia River from Bonneville Dam to the Oregon/Washington border

This area is open to retention of adipose fin-clipped steelhead through March 15 under permanent rules. Effective March 16, this area will be open to retention of adipose fin-clipped steelhead and adipose fin-clipped chinook through May 31, or until the harvest guideline is achieved. The daily bag limit is two adipose fin-clipped adult salmon or steelhead in combination, and up to five adipose fin-clipped jack salmon per day.

Angling for salmon and steelhead from a boat between Bonneville Dam and the Tower Island power lines, approximately six miles down stream from The Dalles Dam, is prohibited. Bank angling is allowed in this area.

Willamette River

Open to retention of adipose fin-clipped adult chinook salmon and adipose fin-clipped steelhead seven days a week the entire year. Bag limit is two salmon or steelhead in any combination below Willamette Falls. Above the falls, one additional adipose fin-clipped steelhead may be retained.

STURGEON

Columbia River from Buoy 10 to Wauna power lines (River Mile 40)

Retention of white sturgeon is allowed seven days a week Jan. 1 – April 30, with a daily bag limit of one fish with a fork length of between 38 and 54 inches. This area is closed to retention of white sturgeon May 1-May 21. The season reopens seven days a week from May 22 through June 26, or until the harvest guideline is achieved, with a daily bag limit of one fish with a fork length of 41 to 54 inches.

Columbia River from Wauna power lines upstream to Bonneville Dam (including all adjacent Washington tributaries)

Retention of white sturgeon is allowed three days a week on Thursday, Friday and Saturday Jan. 1 – July 31 and Oct. 1 – Dec. 31, or until the harvest guideline is achieved. Daily bag limit is one white sturgeon with a fork length of 38 to 54 inches. Angling for sturgeon is prohibited from the upstream end of Skamania Island at River Marker #82 upstream to Bonneville Dam May 1 – Aug. 31.

Columbia River from Bonneville Dam to The Dalles Dam

This area is expected to reach the harvest guideline of 1,400 fish on Feb. 20, 2010 and will close to retention of white sturgeon effective 12:01 a.m. Feb. 21. Catch-and-release sturgeon angling will remain open.

Columbia River from The Dalles Dam to John Day Dam

This area is open to retention of white sturgeon seven days a week under permanent rules from Jan. 1 until the annual harvest guideline of 300 fish is met. The legal size limit for retention in this area is 43-54 inches fork length.

Columbia River from John Day Dam to McNary Dam

This area is expected to reach the harvest guideline of 165 fish Feb. 28, 2010 and will close to retention of white sturgeon effective 12:01 a.m. March 1. Catch-and-release sturgeon angling will remain open.

Willamette River downstream of Willamette Falls including the Multnomah Channel

Retention of white sturgeon is allowed three days a week on Thursday, Friday and Saturday Jan. 1 – March 31 and Nov. 1 – Dec. 31. Daily bag limit is one white sturgeon with a fork length of 38 to 54 inches. On the Willamette, angling for sturgeon is prohibited from the I-205 Bridge upstream to Willamette Falls May 1 – Aug. 31.

F
FishFinger
great post, ty for getting it out here so quickly.

If I understand things until 3/1/10 it's the same limits in place for 09/10 season. ie Columbia 1-5 to bouy 10 retention of one clipped Chinook & one FC steelhead.

YeeHaw lets get after em!

B
beaverfan
Thanks for sharing. So they didn't address above the falls at all?

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Thumbs up to The Nothing for contributing so much!

Thumbs up to The Nothing for contributing so much!

Thank you for being so tireless in keeping the membership at large informed of the OFFicial goings on and (un) decisions. :clap: In fact,thank you to all the members who take time out of their day to attend meetings,read lengthy articles and search for info for the rest of us. Please know we all appreciate it,even though we don't all say so. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

T
The Nothing
beaverfan said:
Thanks for sharing. So they didn't address above the falls at all?

This was just for Oregon/Washington shared waters - The Columbia and its Tributaries. The Willamette was covered because it used to be lumped in as a tributary of the Columbia. It is now its own zone, and will likely not be so focused upon by the CRC.

Beyond the Willamette Falls, Oregon makes its own rules, and so was not covered by the CRC. IIRC, it already has its own rules in place.

B
beaverfan
Gotcha, thanks.

R
rainman
I hope they open up I-205 to Bonneville soon. I'm really wanting to launch my boat from Chinook Landing and bonk some nice fish.

B
beaverfan
rainman said:
I hope they open up I-205 to Bonneville soon. I'm really wanting to launch my boat from Chinook Landing and bonk some nice fish.

Doesn't sound like that's gonna happen. Don't understand why.

R
rainman
Looks like they want to cram all the boat fishing from buoy 10 up to I-205.
Hopefully they'll open up more of the river to boats before June 15th.

These new regs stink to high heaven, IMO.

S
Swamp Puppy
rainman said:
Looks like they want to cram all the boat fishing from buoy 10 up to I-205.
Hopefully they'll open up more of the river to boats before June 15th.

These new regs stink to high heaven, IMO.

agreed...you are going to need to bring your own water to fish in the boats will be packed in so tight.

T
The Nothing
Fishing above 205 puts the hammer on fish heading further upstream. To appease anglers and tribes on the other side of the dam, restricting fishing below allows for more fish, like the 30k they're expecting at Drano.

R
rainman
No matter how you slice it, fishing the Big C for 1 fish a day is a long way to go for me.

S
Swamp Puppy
Question - I know that the MC is different from the main C river regs, but i don't see it mentioned. Does it fall under the Willamette category or is there another reg someplace that governs it? (for salmon)

T
The Nothing
Yeah, MC is in the Willamette Zone

M
Marvin's Guide Service
Boat ramps are going to crazy because now they say 42ND Ave boat ramp - 4035 NE Marine Drive – Portland, Oregon was going to open March 1, Now they say March 20th if we are lucky!
I do know were you can get moorage for $250 buck for 3 months.....

R
rainman
Looks like I'll be headed to The Dalles come March 16th and beyond. Long way to drive, but at least can bonk 2 fish.

Above Bonneville Dam: Area from the Tower Island power lines (six miles downriver from The Dalles) to McNary Dam is open March 16 to May 31. Daily bag limit is two hatchery salmon.

F
FishFinger
Rainman don't give up hope on a 2 fish big limit closer to home. The Willy is open for the retention of 2 salmon. Granted I haven't spent much time fishing it recently, but I do remember a few select spots that had been fairly productive springer producers; historically, and well away for the OC hog lines.

Irishrover
Irishrover
I don't see how spreading the boats out puts the hammer on the fish. The water above I 205 is big water with lots of room for fish escapement. If they had made Skamina Island, or Phoca Rock the dead line it would make more sense. The only thing this accomplishes is to condense the amount of boats fishining below I-205. It doesn't remove hooks from the water, just tranfers the pressure. I feel sorry for the tug boat and barge operators who will now have to navigate through that mess. Might just as well but one big gill net across the river from the 42nd street ramp to the Vancover ramp. If you enjoy fishing for more than just catching fish and treasure the experience and beauty of the Columbia Gorge this ban is a let down. Fishing between the airport and Vancover, well not a real thing of beauty. It's true about appeasement, this is just a political move to impress the folks upstreem. If they want fish to get up river then just shut the whole thing down again and get the fish up river.

Last edited:
R
rainman
FishFinger said:
Rainman don't give up hope on a 2 fish big limit closer to home. The Willy is open for the retention of 2 salmon. Granted I haven't spent much time fishing it recently, but I do remember a few select spots that had been fairly productive springer producers; historically, and well away for the OC hog lines.

I live 4 miles from the Willy, and you can bet your last dollar that I will be hitting it as much as I can. That is, until the moss shuts things down.