Sportsmen's Warehouse, too????

C

cavdad45

After the sad demise of GI Joe's, I was shocked the other day when I saw that Sportsman's Warehouse off Johnson Creek had a new name.

Apparently, they too, are under Chapter 11 which caused a dozen or so stores to be sold off to another company, while several more were totally liquidated, leaving only a few stores left with employees worried about being unemployed by Labor Day.

Anyone else hear about all this?

Looks like Dick's and Fisherman's will be the only play in town and I don't shop at Fishermen's because they sponsor ifish. BassPro and Cabela's will also see a bigger chunk of my bassin' dollars.

C

chris61182

At least so far, I've been hearing lots of good things about the company that bought the stores. Though only time will tell how it all turns out.

G

GoneFishin2134

I really hope Sportmans, does not go under. Maybe that is why Tackle was so cheap there Today?

I like Fisherman's more though, because they usually have more information, on bait to use, what fishing have been biting on, etc..People at Sportmans look at me like an Alien, when I ask what the Bass have been biting on or trout...

O

Oregonchris

I think it is called Wholsale Sports or something lame like that....that is even worse than naming it Big 5.

K

Kodiak

Banned User
The whole truth

The whole truth

The company that has the stores is owned by UFA..united farmers Alberta. They loaned sportsman's the money to expand and then when it came time to pay it back the owner of sportsmans took off with the cash and tried to liquidate the stores without telling anyone...thats why there was no stuff for the longest time. UFA siezed 11 stores through a court ruling, the others were liquidated, except like 3 in utah. While the folks in Canada lack originality in the name and have yet to cut loose some of the morons in the fishing department, they all have been very nice people when I have had contact with them and plan on keeping things much the same as they are now.

O

Oregonchris

The company that has the stores is owned by UFA..united farmers Alberta. They loaned sportsman's the money to expand and then when it came time to pay it back the owner of sportsmans took off with the cash and tried to liquidate the stores without telling anyone...thats why there was no stuff for the longest time. UFA siezed 11 stores through a court ruling, the others were liquidated, except like 3 in utah. While the folks in Canada lack originality in the name and have yet to cut loose some of the morons in the fishing department, they all have been very nice people when I have had contact with them and plan on keeping things much the same as they are now.

Sounds like you are friends with them, If they ask you what people think of their new name could you pass on my sentiments to them?

Raincatcher

Raincatcher

Less than 50 feet from the Santiam River! :)
Help re-name Sportsmen's Warehouse

Help re-name Sportsmen's Warehouse

I think we need to help the new owners of "Wholesale Sports",formerly "Sportsmen's Warehouse". Let's come up with some great,original names and then send them the list.

Sports 4 Life
All Sports
Living Outdoors

These are some of my favorites. Now,let the imaginations flow....

Be safe.
Barb

K

kornphlake

How about naming it something like, "Gear for Individual Outdoor Sports, for People Who Go Outdoors" so people don't confuse the store with places that mostly sell shoes and exercise equipment your wife buys but never uses (Sports Authority,) or places that mostly sell clothing with urban outdoorsman styling (REI.)

S

steelhead1

how about Wall-a-Cosco,"stamping out the little guy since 1983":lol:?

C

cavdad45

If the little guy can't compete, let him go. Why spend more for the same products just because he's the "little guy?"

Want to buy a $35,000 boat from a little guy like me when Steven's Marine will sell it to you for $22,000?

K

Kodiak

Banned User
If the little guy can't compete, let him go. Why spend more for the same products just because he's the "little guy?"

Want to buy a $35,000 boat from a little guy like me when Steven's Marine will sell it to you for $22,000?

Because mini's are only available at tcotackle.com! Because small business contributes to nearly 80% of the gross domestic product...because people desreve to make more than minimum wage, because people shop at wal-stupid profitabilty for companies decrease causing layoffs and eventual out sourcing to foriegn countries like china that produce inferior products, that weakens our dollar abroad, that contributes to major recessions. I know..we can call it "cheapo wharehouse"...or even "hey stupid..put yourself out of work right here!"

Raincatcher

Raincatcher

Less than 50 feet from the Santiam River! :)
Another 2 cents worth

Another 2 cents worth

cavdad45;
Well, I'm glad you aren't in charge of the small business department. This country was established on the bent backs of men and women willing to put in long hours to meet the demands of business. They didn't have thousands of underpaid minions to do the dirty work for them. My grandmother survived the Depression by putting in sixteen hour days working her garden so she could sell produce and then "put up" the rest so her family would eat during the winter. This country didn't start out with "Corporate America" calling all the shots. Lobbyists weren't even allowed within the White House,now they are not only welcome,they are slobbered on by groveling government "workers".
Okay,I'm going to stop here before I get carried away and turn this into a rant. Besides,my toast just popped up. :D
The previous opinion is just that,my opinion as a member and does not represent the Administrator nor other Moderators opinion. ;)
Be safe.
Barb

C

cavdad45

I just don't buy into protectionism. I believe in a free market economy. I work hard for my income and can't see spending more at one store over another in the name of protecting Mom&Pop. If they can compete let them.

Sam Walton started off as a box boy at 15 years of age and built his Mom & Pop into an American empire employing tens of thousands of employees. Don't get me wrong, I am for individual achievement and there are plenty of avenues of success, but I spend my money where it will get the greatest return for me.

C

cavdad45

cavdad45;
Well, I'm glad you aren't in charge of the small business department. This country was established on the bent backs of men and women willing to put in long hours to meet the demands of business. They didn't have thousands of underpaid minions to do the dirty work for them. My grandmother survived the Depression by putting in sixteen hour days working her garden so she could sell produce and then "put up" the rest so her family would eat during the winter. This country didn't start out with "Corporate America" calling all the shots. Lobbyists weren't even allowed within the White House,now they are not only welcome,they are slobbered on by groveling government "workers".
Okay,I'm going to stop here before I get carried away and turn this into a rant. Besides,my toast just popped up. :D
The previous opinion is just that,my opinion as a member and does not represent the Administrator nor other Moderators opinion. ;)
Be safe.
Barb

Who's small business department? The governments?

S

steelhead1

As a matter of fact,I do intentionally shop at the little guys store,and yes I do in fact pay more for the same products the big guys sell.As far as buying a boat from you,are you in the boat selling business?If you were,and that was your livelyhood,would you prefer I buy a boat from you, or some chain in portland thats owned by some giant corporation in,say,new york?I dont like driving across town wasting fuel,waiting in line,being treated poorly by ignorant clerks that hate their jobs.America was built by the the little guy,and I will support the little guy until he is no more.Just like the salmon,they are a dying breed because of SOME poor excuses of Americans and their greedy ways.Take a good look around my brother,do you like the direction our country is going?Do whatever you wish,I am not trying to convince you of anything.But as for me,I will do whatever I can to keep the American dream alive.:D

T

Troutier Bassier

Looks like Dick's and Fisherman's will be the only play in town and I don't shop at Fishermen's because they sponsor ifish.
Whats wrong with Ifish????

:lol: I bet everyone here that Bi-mart will go out of buisness, I just have that feeling.

Everyone is going out of buisness because of walmart. There prices apperentyl are soo cheap that other companys are getting scared because of the competition.

C

cavdad45

Actually the tax hike approved today in the Oregon legislature and soon to be signed into law by the Gov will kill more small businesses in Oregon in its first year than Walmart has killed in its entire history.

O

OnTheFly

If government would just get out of the way and let small business produce, maybe then they could compete. Don't blame me because I didn't vote for these guys.

M

metalmania

As a matter of fact,I do intentionally shop at the little guys store,and yes I do in fact pay more for the same products the big guys sell.As far as buying a boat from you,are you in the boat selling business?If you were,and that was your livelyhood,would you prefer I buy a boat from you, or some chain in portland thats owned by some giant corporation in,say,new york?I dont like driving across town wasting fuel,waiting in line,being treated poorly by ignorant clerks that hate their jobs.America was built by the the little guy,and I will support the little guy until he is no more.Just like the salmon,they are a dying breed because of SOME poor excuses of Americans and their greedy ways.Take a good look around my brother,do you like the direction our country is going?Do whatever you wish,I am not trying to convince you of anything.But as for me,I will do whatever I can to keep the American dream alive.:D

I'm with you bro, little guys all the way. I always get a better product, and get to deal with nicer people. I'd rather pay a bit more if I can get something from a small time shop that knows what there doing, then a big store whose employees know nothing.

Top Bottom