Spoon fishing Tualatin 9-24

bubs

Just a quick report from yesterday. Fished spoons for a couple hours in the late morning and hooked into three fish (these weights are all "informed estimates" because I forgot to bring my scale): two nice pikeminnows - one ~3 lbs and one behemoth at around ~6 pounds(!); and one coho jack (~3.5 lbs), my first salmon of the Fall!

At one point, having hooked nothing after ~30 casts, I got my spoon hung up in a tree (amateur). As I was fussing with it, a nice bright coho jumped 2+ feet out of the water right in front of me, taunting me. Nice. The moment I got re-rigged after this episode the sun burned through the fog and the fish action around me died completely. I persevered however and got into these nice fish! A good lesson in patience.

CohoTualatin.9.24.16B.jpg

Last edited:

sapo

Where were you at? I saw some coho activity at the mouth yesterday (only about 350 over the falls so far though), but I had kayaked down from a few miles upstream and it didn't seem like they had gone up too far.

Bass fishing is slowing down on the T, if anyone is wondering.

bubs

Sapo - as stated, it was a jack. On the 24th, 780 jacks had passed WFA. Still not good numbers, but good enough. Those fish are also headed up the Yamhill too and probably other destinations, so kind of desperate to even try for them at this point but heck it worked.

I was pretty far above the mouth...

bubs

Haha sounds right bass! Thanks guys.

Looking at the chart, we're over twice as many coho as last year (around this time) above the Falls..looks promising! Tualatin coho tend to be more smokers than eat-fresh-ers so I hope to have a nice stockpile of smoked coho come Oct 31st.

dub

Stupid question time from a newbie... but Coho in the Tualatin river? How far up do they go, and what time(s) of year? I'll be fishing a lot around River Run Park....just curious if they come by there or not.

bubs

dub check out my reply in your other thread!

But yes, coho...I know some people will not like me talking about it, but as far as we know, the Tualatin never had a native coho run (these fish are in fact a fairly healthy population of descendants of a now defunct hatchery program) so as far as I'm concerned, they're fair game. If you can catch them...which is very hard there...so I doubt anyone's going to put much of a dent on the population anyhow!

Since you're not too far, maybe try tossing spinners/spoons at the mouth? I would guess they stage up there before running up.

Stewbug

What about safely eating bass caught in the Tualatin and Willamette? Do you keep them or catch and release?

Fishtales2

What is the flesh mark on the side? Could it be from a lamprey? I caught one with similar wounds on the Yamhill outside of Lafayette 6 or 7 years ago.

Top Bottom