Spinning reels??

Y

youngbuck307

So i need to get one. I just wanted to know what you guys like for around lets say anything from $20-$100. I would rather save money and not get anything 2 nice. I dont need nice gear to catch firsh

M

meluvtrout

I use Sedona 2500 and Sahara 4000. Both are pretty smooth reels(Shimano) and are around $50 range. Higher end for these reels are the Symetre's and they should be around $100...

PS thanks for the directions to the EC hatchery holes. I finally found them :)

K

kcm

I really like my Okuma, I've used an EF30 for several years now (around $40 at the time) with no complaints.
I'm also a big fan of Shimano and Diawa but I wouldn't trust any of their reels that cost under $100. They build quality stuff but their lower priced reels tend to be junk IMO.

T

The Nothing

I have... um... 4 Abu Cardinal spinning reels... from ultralight to a big 80 saltwater. Definitely my favorite budget spinner.

C

Coastal

I've been using a shimano sedona 2000 for about 10 years and that thing is awesome for trout, I've used it to catch three steelhead too and it held up ok, although I didn't have any trouble, the last steelhead seemed to tax the drag, it is probably a little under powered, so I wanted to move up to a dedicated steelhead combo and wound up with a shimano saros 3000 last month. Found a great deal on ebay, new in box under a hundred shipped.

Awesome so far! Smooth as silk and no surprises. Super tight, casts like a dream too. Never used much else except super cheap reels so I don't have much to compare to. Based my decision on many many reviews that all had A++ comments.

S

steelhead1

I like the symetre 4000,It has almost made it through a season without destructing.I just bought a pfluger president xt, its performing well so far.

D

Diehard

cheep quality

cheep quality

shimano in my opinion have always been dependable reels you can count on and there are other brands that offer the same quality for the price i have a sonora 4000 shimano i think it was around fifty bucks been using it for yrs no issue other than the drags are completely worn out from fighting fish i always back off the drag at the end of the day a friend taught me this it makes the drag last longer i also have a flueger trion this is a great reel i think around the same price but the drag seems way nicer on this reel and the reel is lighter in weight

Y

youngbuck307

Lol well you guys are a lot of help:rolleyes: now i really dont know what to get...JK thanks for your guys input

F

fishwithdynamite

Check out ebay, you can look at any reel that you can dream of. If you are gonna spend $100, go with a shimano saros in the 3000-4000 series. You would not be disappointed, and you will have one heck of a nice reel.

troutdude

troutdude

If you want the advantage of a rear drag...their are Mitchell's and Cardinals that all hold up well. I've had some of these for 10 - 20 years are are still as smooth as ever.

Lately, I've been researching and eyeballing a nice looking line of front drag reels: Pflueger President. And, I held a couple in my hands last week at the former Sportsman's Warehouse in Salem. They have great ratings and I'm gonna get one.

The Pluegers ranged from about $40 for one w/ 4 or 5 bearings to about $100 for one w/ 8 or 9 bearings. And Pflueger has been in business since 1881.

Click here for a peek inside a book about Pflueger's history (I did NOT write the book): The Pflueger Heritage Lures & Reels 1881-1952

Click here to see the reels:

Pflueger Fishing Tackle

Good luck.

A

autofisher

I have a pflueger and it's pretty decent, but I also have a shimano and an okuma that I like as well. Go to a store and play with some and see which ones you like. Then research those before you buy them. Or you can do what I do sometimes and go play with them and pay for the one that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. :D

troutdude

troutdude

I have a pflueger and it's pretty decent, but I also have a shimano and an okuma that I like as well. Go to a store and play with some and see which ones you like. Then research those before you buy them. Or you can do what I do sometimes and go play with them and pay for the one that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. :D

I agree w/ Auto...shimano's are good (I have some). And I've heard lots of good stuff about okuma's too. Didn't intend to cause anyone to think that Pflueger's are the ONLY reel worth having...DOH! :shock:

R

radiation

I checked out a beautiful Quantum Incite 40 at 2Bros Tackle last week. It has 11 bearings and a ceramic drag. Man was it smooth. It was priced at $65 with an extra spool. That's going to be my Birthday request.:clap::dance:

O

osmosis

shimano does make a good spinning reel for sure.
I really like the abu garcia cardinals, best $40 reel I've ever used.

H

halibuthitman

I think one thing that has been overlooked is the use you want it for, there have been some exellent reels mentioned here, but I would definitely say if your gonna use it on 10 lb+ fish in rivers your gonna want a reel with a rear drag adjustment, several come that way.... but its a must in my book. I have been using a pflueger asario that I bought as a temp replacement for a reel I blew in AK, haven't purchased a new reel yet, other than the fault of a front adjust drag, its by far the best reel I have ever purchased for under $60.:cool:

troutdude

troutdude

Fin Nor

Fin Nor

I forgot to mention, earlier, one of my favorite reels...a mid sized Fin Nor. These are made on the east coast, and are primarily for offshore/saltwater fishing. However, they do feature the Mega Lite for inshore fishing and the Sportfisher series that can handle larger fish like Salmon.

The one that I have is an older inshore model: Lumina FL2000, with the following line ratings...4/240, 6/175, 8/140. It has 8 bearings and is VERY high quality. I was a lucky dog, to pick it up at a gun show for only $20 (retail is around $100 - $150). :dance:

Fin Nor's, like mine, are sometimes up for grabs on eBay.

Here is the link: Fin-Nor World Class Tackle

E

Excaliber

Shimano's are a safe bet. The Symetre's are a nice reel for around 100.00. Stay away from the cheaper Daiwa spinning reels. We have several of the Regal XI's and the drags have failed on almost all of them.

S

steelhead_stalkers

Another vote for the Shimano Saros! Best reel in the $100 price range I believe. The pflueger supreme is a good one too but might be a little more expensive. I would take the Shimano. :)

B

Boombollie

Shimano's are a safe bet. The Symetre's are a nice reel for around 100.00. Stay away from the cheaper Daiwa spinning reels. We have several of the Regal XI's and the drags have failed on almost all of them.

Oh no. What caused 'em to fail? Was it out of the box or after a decent amount of fishing?

Top Bottom