Spinning reel lines

18406ej
18406ej
I am curious what other people are using as their primary lines for spinning reels. I am currently using Berkley's Trilene XL Smooth Cast, but I am looking for something that might float a little bit better.

What is your spinning reel line?

Troutski
Troutski
Spinning reel lines

This is a very sticky subject......every one has an #@% hole and every one has an opinion. Not to ruffle any feathers on this subject, but I can't emphasize to strongly the use of Braided line for lure fishing. Whether it's spinners or spoons, the thing is the brand of the line and maintenance of said line. Spinning reels by their nature put twist in the line while retrieving the line back on the reel and a lure, spinner or spoon will add twist due to the action, not to mention hours of trolling. The trick is to every 30 hours or so take the memory out of the line, the way I accomplish this is at the end of a day of fishing, I take all terminal tackle (swivels, split rings) so that all that is there is line(loop at the end of braid) and then either out the back of the boat or at the top of a riffle in a stream. Let all the line run off the spool down to the backing. once that has been completed simply reel the line back on and your good to go for another 30 hours or so. I have line on some of my reels that is over 5 years old and still preforms perfectly. The brand of braid is paramount in that all braids are not created equally. I have done my home work and the only one that preforms with flying colors is Berkley Fireline. This line has great properties, durability, high visibility, small diameter and it floats. I use the yellow 6lb test on my spinning reels. I recently bought a spool of the Clear and the jury is still out on what I think of it. I also use the Charcoal color for the first 125 feet - this gives me a point to start at for long lining, I just cast out until I can see yellow and I know how far back my lure is, I also add a section of mono line for shock absorption . Now this is just my opinion and don't want to start a heated tread, but this stuff really does perform up to the riggers of years of fishing, I am a living testament. Not to mention I have the photo's to prove it.:cool: I have caught Rainbow Trout, Steelhead and Silver Salmon not to mention Koke's and the occasional Lake Trout or Bulltrout/Dolly Varden.

Chuck

18406ej
18406ej
Does the Fireline require an end section of mono leader, or do the fish see it and not care?

Troutski
Troutski
I use a 6 foot leader off the Fireline, to a swivel and another 2 feet of 4 lb for me, not for the fish per say, but for the shock absorption.

18406ej
18406ej
I went to Sportsmen's Warehouse today to get some Fireline. They only had green or smoke, so I went with the green which is close to yellow. 125 yards didn't fill my spool very far, but it should be enough for testing purposes. I will let you know what I think. One thing I have already discovered is that it is far too tough to clip with my teeth. I will need to keep my scissors handy.

EJ

Troutski
Troutski
Filling the spool

Just in case you weren't aware - you must first put about 10 - 15 feet of mono on the spool and then tie that to your Fireline, other wise the line will slip on the spool. I put more that 10 -15 feet on just to make sure my spool is full, that way I can get a much further cast. Hope I wasn't to late in this post.

Chuck

18406ej
18406ej
I wondered why it was so hard to get the spool started. I managed to get it on, but should I re-spool or just leave the 125 yards in place as it is? I don't plan on letting the line get more than 75 yards away from me as I fish the bank.

Troutski
Troutski
My recommendation is to remove it and re- spool the line. Because if you don't that will be the time you catch the fish of a life time and that's when the mishap will occur. Take my word for it, I must admit I have life experience here.:rolleyes: I believe you will be very happy with your choice of line.

18406ej
18406ej
OK, I will trust you, and will spend the evening pulling the line off. Thanks for all of your help, Chuck.

EJ

Troutski
Troutski
Another hint, I received a gift a few years ago from my son. It is a Berkley line putter oner and taker offer thing. It works great for removing line and placing new line on the spool. It works on spinning reels and level wined, sure takes the hassle out of the process. I would have never purchased one for my self, but after having one I do recommend them. Take your time, it is worth it.

18406ej
18406ej
It wasn't as bad as I thought...spool is now 50% 8lb mono followed by 50% (125 yds) of Fireline in 6lb test. My first opportunity to tie a bloodline knot was a success.

Troutski
Troutski
Great, look forward to your post on the fish of a life time, that doesn't break that line...;) Wouldn't that be a kick in the pants.

Chuck

18406ej
18406ej
Line Grinding

Is there a more abbrasive feel with Fireline as opposed to mono when reeling in? I have noticed a grinding sensation with the new line, and wonder if this will harm the rod guides. I have a Shimano rod with oxide guides, so they are pretty tough.

Troutski
Troutski
Line noise

The noise you hear is from the line, and it shouldn't have any detrimental effect on your guides. The Oxide's are made for the super lines. Any way after a short time the line will relax a bit and you won't even notice it.

Chuck

Admin
Admin
Just stumbled upon this ancient thread and decided to 'up' it.
What lines do you guys use these days?

I use Sunline Super PE. 4lb for my ultra light rod, and 8lb for my light one.

• Spinning reel line.jpg
P
pinstriper
Just about everything is 30 or 50# mono, except the sturgeon and crabbing rods which get 80#.

I do have a few ultralight trout rods setup with 6# mono all the way and also a kokanee setup at 8#. But I dislike line twist and also distrust mono after a full off-season of sitting and taking a coiled set, so I really ought to be more diligent about stripping and respooling with new line, something not necessary with braid.

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
I typically use 4 lb. mono on my trout rods, 15 lb for my steelhead rods, and 25 lb for my salmon rods. For my trout rods I typically buy whatever mono is on sale. For my fly rods I use a combination of mono of various lengths to make my taper leaders.

Admin
Admin
So more than 10 years gone, but braided still didn't kill old good mono? )

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
Most definitely not for me. I like braid, but it is to expensive for me and I have never had an issue with mono.

P
pinstriper
Braid is not more expensive in the long run when you factor in the more frequent respooling.