Spinning reel for steelhead/salmon

G
greenhorn
I have a new rod, a 10 1/2' G. Loomis Med/Hev. mod. action. I bought a Quantum Boca 80 for it but it is so big it won't even go on the rod. If it did I think I have an over kill the reel weighs a ton. It looks like a deep sea rig for sail fish. I have know idea what I'm doing being new at this so before I try again with a catalog in the dark I am asking for suggestions to match a reel to this rod. I want to put 20lb test on it for big salmon and steelhead. I know, I know you all use 2lb line for all of that but I am just starting and want 20lb on mine. A top quality spinning reel for this would be what?

A
ArcticAmoeba
Thats a monster drift fishing set-up, if that is what you are using it for. But try the Simano Stradic, one of the better spinning reels out there in my opinion. Or even the Symmetre. You can run 20 lb. mainline, but just remember that you are going to give up spool space for test. If you are using it for Salmon fishing exclusively go with 20. But the steel are going to be super hard to feel with a rod like that. I hate to say it, but you may be better off setting-up a Steelhead specific, and a Salmon specific rig, not having one to cover two completely different species. But for local Rivers around the Metro area, like the Wilson, Sandy, and Clackamas, an 8-12, or 8-14, 8'6" Fast action, medium light power stick will bank any of the species that mill about these rivers. I'm no Chinook expert, but I have a 8'6" Spinning set-up, 6-10, super fast action, light power rod, and a Stradic reel, and it has boated a 34, 42, 46, and 51 lb. Chinook, in the same day...In AK. Let alone the countless hundreds of Hoh, Skyko, Snoho, and Sol Duc Steel. Famously large fish, due to the gradient of the rivers. All on 15 pound mainline, and 6-14 pound leaders. You will be fine with what you have, but as you get better with drift fishing, and have had enough of those, "wonder if that was a fish" moments, look into getting a real nice 8'6" casting, or even a 9' spinning rod, in line ratings less than 15. But as far as running mainlines, as long as you can spool on 100 metres or so of 20, you will, be fine...Unless you are oversize Gator huntin.

G
greenhorn
Base too big

Base too big

Thanks for that info, I might add that I like the reel very much the only problem with it is that the base is too heavy to go under the reel holders on the rod. Is there something weird about that or is this reel just not for an average rod. I can't see how I could mount it unless there is some adapter that I don't know about. It is obviously a salt water rated reel but is that all bed with AK. in mind? I hate to return it since it was only $120 on sale. Any further suggestions. It looks like it would cost me twice that for a Shimano of half the size and capability.

A
ArcticAmoeba
Your 10'6" Loomis is for heavy tidewater fishing, or plunking I'm sure, what is the model number, and line/lure rating? The Quantam Boca 80 is a spinning reel meant to go with a short, uber heavy saltwater, sailfish rod. The 80 can hold 330 yds. of 20 lb. main, and has a disgustingly high ratio of 4.9:1! And it weighs in at near 2 pounds!!! 30.5 oz. It would take years to crank up a quarter mile of 20 lb. mainline with retrieve ratios like that. If you are serious about getting into Steelhead, and Salmon, and you need a spinning reel, look into the Symmetre. It is far cheaper than the Boca 80, and the Stradic, on sale is cheaper, but in the ballpark when not on sale. The Stradic comes in a variety of sizes. All have plenty of capacity for our local rivers. I hate to be a debbie downer, but return the reel, and look into something better suited for Steelhead, or Salmon. You only need a capacity of 100-150 yds max in the Willy, or Columbia, and a 12-15 lb. mainline will be much better suited to casting distance, and accuracy over a stiff 20 lb. Unless you choose to run braids. Undergunned for Steel is a 5' U.L., slow action, 2-6lb. rod. And undergunned for local Chinook is a 6' spinning set-up rated at 2-8. My salmon rod, is an 8'6" fast action, med. light power, 8-12. Steelhead get a super fast action, light power, and 6-10. You could horse Halibut on your current set-up if the reel would work. Don't take this the wrong way, but if you are just starting out, you want to actually be able to feel the fish as they flare their gills, and tap you presentation. Steelhead don't generally slam your stuff hard, they kind of rubber band you when they hit. A snesitive rod, and the lightest reel possible is the only way to detect strikes from rocks, and be able to react in a timely manner. It is the difference between frusteration, and success. I know this was a long, boring lame post, but I truly feel you are going to miss a lot of fish trying to drift fish with that set-up. Let me know what the exact, intended purpose is for you rod/ree, and I can at least point you in the right direction. I just don't want you to be too deep into something that you might not ever need. But if anything, bring your rod into a store, and get a reel you know will fit, and fits your price.

G
greenhorn
ArcticAmoeba, first what is an ArcticAmoeba? I have spent some time in the arctic and have never ran into one of those. I thank you very much for your very informative narrative, I will indeed return the reel since I now realize it is only good for Moby Dick. I bought a Quantum reel a dozen years ago brand new and planned to get into fishing then but never got to it. I am wondering if this reel is suited to my new Loomis rod. It is a Quantum Hypercast , the following is everything written on it: "with worm gear oscilation, Long Stroke HC 3, contiuous antireverse, 3 ball bearings, ball bearing line roller, 310/4-280/.20, 240/6-220/.25, 160/8.150/.30". I am sure it is extinct but that is what I was told was good a dozen years ago. I have only tried it once and thought it was too small to use for Steelhead. It has 12lb. line on it and seems to hold about a hundred and fifty yards of it. Do you know what I have?????? is it any good for the job on the 10 1/2' rod. The Loomis rod was recommended for bank casting with bobber and jig for steelhead is why I bought it. Now I feel like going back to town and finding a pawn shop and taking up golf!

O
osmosis
The hypercast hc3 will work fine for steelhead. Sounds like you're over estimating these fish a bit - me and my friends every year catch several on our trout rods and they hold up great.
I suggest to stay with something around #12 for the mainline but make sure you replace it with new.

the 10.5 is perfect for bobber fishing. that extra foot of rod helps to keep control of the line and to mend.

I and AA prefer drift fishing and are biased because of that. You definitely can catch more fish on the drift than on the float but it takes more time to learn.
Some people lack the midichlorians to drift fish so fishing with their eyes is a better approach.

When your bobber goes down, Dont just swing! REEL until you feel the fish and then hit 'em hard.

A
ArcticAmoeba
HaHa, GH, you know I probably have the exact same Hypercast...I got it for a B-Day present on my 10th birthday, on a decent, heavy, trout rod. That was almost 14 years ago, so same vintage I'm sure. I used it up until this summer, when I had one, hurk fish finally put the screws to me, and burned up the drag completely. Just needs new washers, but they work just fine for your run of the mill, brat-stock Sewer Troots. Bobber fishin...makes perfect sense for you to have the extra 1.5-2 feet for line control. Is it like that Loomis that is rated at 8-16, or something kind of strange like that? But Osmosis has it...Bobber down! Don't swing, reel, then give these chromedomes a nice "pop" not a major league swinger. We have been havin to really stick these guys HARD for 'em to stay on for more than a couple, really good headshakes though. Gotta love those... Good luck man!

Oh and by the way, Sam Jackson is takin Midichlorian counts at your local 7-11...See if you have the stuff to be the next Jedi drift master...Remember it is always better to find this stuff out before it is too late to begin Jedi training. Like 5 or 6 is getting to be a little late...Ha, oh boy...

G
greenhorn
shimano stradic F1

shimano stradic F1

I have been looking on line at the shimano stradic f1 with 5.7:1 gears, 20.5oz. is this the right type reel to use on the 10 1/2' rod? There are so many stradics that I am confuse which one was intended from replies?

A
ArcticAmoeba
I would go with nothin larger than the 5000 for what you want to do. It has plenty of line capacity, for just about everywhere, wicked drag rating, and a super smooth action. And it is well under the one pound mark if you go with the 4000, or 5000 It should make a super nice drift bobber reel, for your Loomis. Remember, if you are not going to just start flinging line like crazy, you can spool up braid, and go with an even smaller reel. Braids just tend to seat within themselves, or 'dig', if no attention is paid to it. But, the less weight you have on a rod, the better it functions for the most part. And it will help relieve some hand/arm fatigue, by removing even a few ounces from your reel/rod combo.But for sure, the Stradic is a good choice, and I would recommend you stick with the 4, or 5000 series rather than the 8000. If you are committed to learning the mysteries of smaller braids, go with the 3000 and save yourself some weight, and get a little better sensitivity too.

G
greenhorn
thanks a lot i'll get one asap