Spinning problem

C
Combat Chuck
I recently switched to a 15lb braided line (4lb mono dia.). It seems to do everything good except for something strange on the retrieve. It rubs heavily on the first eye off the reel which creates an awful noise (not a really loud one) and feel from the reel. Ive tried multiple rods and they all do it. I took my smaller cheaper reel with 4lb mono and it doesn't rub as much and has no abrasive feel to it at all. I tried to spool my good reel with some cheap 8lb mono I had lying around and it does the same as the braid. Ive had this reel for a year with 6lb mono on it and I have had no problems with it. Ive taken it apart to clean it and it is very smooth when not mounted on a rod. I wouldn't think its a problem with the reel being too big since it came as part of a 'kokanee combo' paired with a 7' UL. This reel now has a problem with that rod as well as a 7' medium action rod I'm going to use for bass and steelhead. The reel is a Pfleuger Asaro and is the nicest of my spinning reels so I want to use it as much as I can. Soooooo.... any ideas????

C
Combat Chuck
Well... I spooled up a small reel with the leftover braid and I get the same abrasive feel. Is this just the way braid feels?

O
OneMore
Im pretty sure your talking about just the feel of braid. Its kinda loud and rough but its a kick it listen to a braided line drag screamin. Good luck and hope that helps.

Troutski
Troutski
Normal noise...

Normal noise...

I believe you are hearing the normal sound generated by the braided line running over your ceramic guides.
If I am wrong please disregard this post:shock::rolleyes:;)

Chuck

H
Hawk
Combat Chuck said:
Well... I spooled up a small reel with the leftover braid and I get the same abrasive feel. Is this just the way braid feels?

Bro, u mite hav a bad muffler bearing.......................................:lol::lol::lol::lol:

j/k.............................:D...:cool:

W
Webwader
It's just the normal sound of braided line. Wait until you get a really big 'un on. It will really sing.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
On your bail, check that little round bearing that has the slot in it and guides the line into the spool. My guess it that it's either bound up or screwed down too tight so it's not moving freely. The reason that it starts to have a greater effect as you move up to 8# from 6# is that the 6# fits loosely into the slot whereas the 8# doesn't. Just a guess.

F
FishFinger
This morning I re spooled my spinning reel with #15 power pro braided. After reading your post about the rubbing nosies I was surprised to hear the newly applied braid did have an abrasive sound as it rode over the guides. I wonder if this is just due to the fact the line is dry; I can't seem to remember the abrasive sound happening with damp line. Maybe the moisture helps to increase the slide factor.

One thing I can say is braided line will scream like a scream, louder than a preteen getting Pwned on a vid game; with a fish on the line.

T
tnffishman
the same problem happened to me but it was the ceramic that broke out of the inside of the eye

T
The Nothing
yeah, fresh on the reel will do that. give it a couple casts into the wet and things will change. I know some folks will wax their guides when they use braid...

G
grampa ron
braided line noise

braided line noise

It's braided, you should expect noise. It happens on any type of rod and reel setup, including level wind reels. If you watch the fishing programs on TV, you can hear it whenever they are using it.

D
Dichrofisher
It's like driving a super tight sports car with low profile tires. :cool: Less shock absorption more road feel...

C
Combat Chuck
Dichrofisher said:
It's like driving a super tight sports car with low profile tires. :cool: Less shock absorption more road feel...
Now I get it!!! :lol: I think my casting distance is really suffering too but I need to spend more time checking everything before I decide that. Then again... maybe I shouldnt expect this to throw light bass worms and spinners?

C
Combat Chuck
FYI - I figured it out. I was using Tuf-line Duracast which is built for spinning reels so I thought this would be my best choice. The stuff has horrible casting distance and is very noisy and rough. I picked up some Berkley tracer braid, which I love on my Abu 5501, and my cheap spinning reel can cast a small tube jig a mile. The noise is there but its much less. Berkley has been really good to me and Im thinking I need to just stay with them as the safe bet. They are now my favorite mono and braid.

A
ArcticAmoeba
The legendary Bob Toman would agree woith you there! Haha! But I have a trout trolling rod, and two old spinning reels with the Berkley Tracer. It works very well, and is fairly quiet under load for 8, and 10 lb. So far I'm very impressed as well. Which diameter did you pick up, and what kind of gear are you using it with? Just curious. Mine are old Shimano Solstace 2500's, and I use them on a semi-vintage, graphite Lamiglas Kokanee Special, 4-10lb, fast action, medium light power rod. And when not on the troll, that thing can cast three small split shot and a small chunk of worm until the 10lb. backing comes off!

C
Combat Chuck
Right now I have 20lb line on a Black Eagle reel by Eagle Claw that I got for free with a F&H News subscription. I will soon have something else (see thread 'buy me a spinning reel') because I just dont think I can trust that to hold up. I primarily use a 7' medium Shakespeare Synergy and a 7' UL Ugly stik. One day when Im rich I'd love to build my rods or get some nicer ones... for now, those work just fine.

A
ArcticAmoeba
Nice. Should work out well. Let us know how you like the stuff in that diameter. I don't have any of the 20. But for my next float rod set-up I would like to try some.

C
Combat Chuck
AA do you think or have you ever spooked fish using the tracer braid? Im just going over everything in my head. Say I want to cast spinners, would I spook whatever wasn't directly next to the spinner? If I see a fish and cast in front of it, that tracer braid would be in its face before the spinner got to it. 6-8' of mono or fluorocarbon leader is how I typically fish it.

A
ArcticAmoeba
Ya know... I kinda think that particular braid does show up well in the water. One of the best spinner fishermen I know fishes em with braid, and a 6-8 foot shock leader of his favorite mono. Personally, I would run a bit of mono if I was fishin in anything but chocolate milk. This is mostly just for piece of mind for me, but you can do it either way. I don't fish terminal gear with braid often, but if I did, I would run it the way you already are. Shock/stealth leaders of about 7 feet.

1aB
I got some Tufline braid on eBay cause it was cheap, & got what I paid for. The texture reminds me of Ruffles chips & its too soft for spinning reels tho might be OK on a turn spool trolling reel. Problem with Berkley Fireline is the tendency to continually fray and develop soft spots - how does Tracer hold up over time?