Spinning Combo Advice

E
everett464
Fly-Fisherman seeking advice on the purchase of two spinning combos - my total price needs to be no more than $100 for the permanent equipment (the reels don't need to have line on them). I am looking for advice, from folks who have some experience with rods and reels in this price range. Ultimately, I feel like the best advice would be from someone who has used several different setups, and can give substantive information with a comparative slant, but even if you just have one, and love or hate it, let me know. I have no experience in this area - so the "for-dummies" advice will cut to the heart of my issue.

My needs are as follows - I want two identical rods and reels - or at least two that look identical -I might consider two different sizes, as long as I could use them both simultaneously on any given stretch of water (i.e., I dont want a UL and a Medium/Heavy). Really, I am looking for an all purpose stick. I would like to be able to catch trout primarily, but also handle big game from time to time. I will most likely be fishing rivers with light spinners, and/or bait (I might even drift, if that is allowed). Finally, I want something that looks professional, and will be durable through light use for several years. Ultimately, durability will be prioritized over fancy-shmancy performance. These rods should perform equally well in small rivers and lakes. Bottom line: They don't have to be ideal for anything, as long as they are suitable for almost anything.

Finally, I think I would like new equipment, but I would be interested in hearing about used equipment that you are looking to part with, as long as it meets the specifications as outlined above (identical appearing pair, multi purpose, durable, and under $100).

Thanks in advance.

Ev

troutdude
troutdude
You really need at least 2 completely different rods. You are wanting to catch vastly different species.

For trout, I suggest (and use) 5' or 6' Ultralights; with line rating no higher than 8 # mono and a slow action tip. And I prefer fiberglass over graphite (and some companies are again making glass rods).

For Steel and / or Ho's/Nooks, you really need tougher gear. I'd suggest at least an 8' rod, w/ medium to heavy tip. You'll want heavier line too, say up to 10 # or so for summer steel, and larger for Salmonids...although I have caught 40 pound Nooks, with 12# main line and my own spinners.

P.S. This would roughly be equivalent to using a 2 weight fly rod, for small stream trout--versus a 9 - 12 weight rod for steel and salmon.

E
everett464
I had a feeling about this reality - if I went medium, are trout going to feel like bait on the end of my rod?

troutdude
troutdude
Yep. Or you won't feel them at all. Medium is really too heavy/stiff for trout (and harder to cast the bait with any distance too). BTW, the opposite is also true. Playing an 18" trout on my UL gear, often feels like I've got much larger steelie on!

For example, I use a 5' UL Lamiglass hollow fiberglass rod, for much of my trout fishing. I load it w/ 6# main line, and 4# leader. While you MIGHT bank/boat/bag a summer steelie w/ such a rod...it would not suffice against a Springer, winter run Steelie, or anything larger like a Nook.

Just my .02; but it's what has worked for me. As have 8' rods for steel / salmon. In other words, matching your gear for the style (drifting, float n' jig, spinners, plunking bait, etc), and specie size and power, is your best bet.

You can probably find a relatively decent new UL set up, for $40 - $75. And a decent new set up for steel/salmon will likely range from $75 - $100. It would pay big dividends, to visit bait/tackle shops a few times and ask lots of questions until you find what you want.

Last edited:
E
everett464
Thanks TD.

troutdude
troutdude
You're welcome.

It'll be interesting to see other comments too, as they are posted.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Everett,
Sounds like money is a concern. I'm a BIG proponent of the Okuma Celilo rods. Okuma makes these in everything from a 5' ultra light spin rod, to a heavy, fast action sturgeon rod. The trout rods go anywhere from $18 to $40 depending on sale - but they seem to be stabilizing at about $25 a pop. For small streams and general trouting, you'll want a light or ultra light rod, while the bigger fish will need a heavier rod. No sweat, as you can get both types in the series, and they do have the same look (their revamped Celilo lineup uses light olive colored blanks and graphite reel seats, they used to have two different colors for the blanks to distinguish trout rods from salmon/steel, but they made them all uniform for 2011).

I'd probably get their 7' ultra light, 2-6lb line rated spin rod, with a Shimano Sienna 500 reel for trout/panfish use. Rod runs about $25, the Sienna reel is $29.99 at BiMart. For heavier stuff, if you want something that doubles for salmon AND steelhead, I'd probably opt for the 9'6" medium action spin rod. It's perfect for both summer and winter steel, coho salmon, and will work for smaller chinook. If you line it up with 50-65lb Tuf Line, and don't fish around a lot of other people, you should be able to bring in some nooks with it. You could also go with a heavier rod more suited to salmon, steelies won't be quite as much fun, but you'll be just fine.

I've been using the Okuma Celilo rods for the better part of a decade, and I'm still using my original 7'6" light action rod. I've also been using the Shimano Sienna reels for a couple years now, and have had 0 issues with any of them. Celilo rods are light weight, well built, and inexpensive.

F
fish4life
I would go with a 8'6' 8-17# rod for salmon, steelhead, channel cats and fish in this size range and would go with a 6'-7' rod rated 6-10 # for trout, bass, kokanee, and other smaller species. Okuma rods are of good price and I have not had a problem with them yet as for reels I prefer shimano. I like my trout rods a little longer than the five foot ultralites because I can cast farther especially when fishing from the bank. I have grown fond of a 7' okuma celio rod that Ive caught crappie, catfish, trout on it is light enough for for light crappie bite but still had enough power to land 4# channel catfish on. That rod is rated 6-10# line. Ugly stiks are good rods also almost unbreakable but weigh a little more since the are constructed of graphite and fiberglass. They are also of reasonable price. Both brands of these rods are carried at bi-mart and go on sale quite often. I hope this helps out a bit everybody has different tastes and these are just a couple of mine.

M
meluvtrout
For trout I went ultra light and couldn't be happier. My setup is Fenwick HMX 5'6" UL with Shimano Symetre 500 reel. They are in perfect balance. Also have a 7' light Lami with Sedona reel that I like to fish quite often. For my friends I usually loan an Abu Garcia rod reel combo from Bimart or my old Shimano Stimula rod with Sedona 1000(I guess).

For salmon and steelhead depending on the day, water here are my usual suspects:
Lami Certified Pro X96JS - Shimano Sahara 3000
Lami Certified Pro X96JC - Abu Revo STX
Lami G1307 8'6"- Shimano Sedona 2500
Shimano Cennan 9'6"- Shimano Symetre
For fly rods I've got Albright rods in 4-5, 6-7, 8-9, 10-11 weightsw with Pflueger reels.
Then I've got couple of boat rods and some more extra for friends and family.

That being said, I haven't been fishing nearly as close to some of these old 'arts here. Think about how many rods they have, and rethink if you can get away by buying one rod for steelhead, salmon, trout and the rest of the fish in PNW.

Go to garage sales, look up on Craigslist and ask here if it's a good one if you need to. You're not buying a rod, you're making an investment. You can make a cheap investment and get lucky, or you can make a solid investment that will save you from spending more. Your call.

And I also know a guy who kicks everyone's butt with a 6' ugly stik fishing for Coho and Steelhead! 30 bux combo.

R
rippin fish lips
I use a 6'5" medium ultra light Abu Garcia rod (from walmart) $30.00 for trout and steelhead fishing. it can hold big fish. (rated for 6-10lb line) i run 6 on it. It has lasted me a good year of massive abuse, (dropping on rocks, down hills, stepped on, jamed into trees/branches if ur not payin attention, like me.) as for real im lookin for a new one, same with a pole. but i have caught many 4-7 pound steelhead on it, and hooked and fought a coupled 10lb nooks on it. The down side about it, is it's a 1 peice rod. bust strong and durable.