spinners for steelhead

C
carl hungis
curous how many of you use spinners for steelies. Favorite brand? size? finish?

I have had luck on the size 5 big moby painted red tip on front, chat. top on back.

I managed 2 steelies last year with that spinner (I'm a jig fisherman primarily).

C
chris61182
carl hungis said:

I have had luck on the size 5 big moby painted red tip on front, chat. top on back.

I managed 2 steelies last year with that spinner (I'm a jig fisherman primarily).

I'll be spinner fishing for steel next year, and unfortunately I know next to nothing about it, so I'm also anxiously awaiting any other responses.

L
luv2fish
well recently i've seen ppl going for rattlers and all that..i still go with blue fox..and size 3-4 is to go size...traditional colours...and black...mostly i've seen gold copper silver chartreuse and orange...any combination of these is a producer...

Last edited:
F
FishSchooler
Im a fan of making them now... homemades seem to get more bites than BFs for me... because I have never gettin a bite on a BF... :cool:

C
carl hungis
FishSchooler said:
Im a fan of making them now... homemades seem to get more bites than BFs for me... because I have never gettin a bite on a BF... :cool:

I also make my own. It is fun and you can choose everything. where do you get your components??

L
luv2fish
Bc Angling Post
17835 Se 82nd Dr, Gladstone, OR 97027-1825

Phone: (503) 655-4161

F
FishFinger
Hey Carl,

There is a bit of a lull in the fishing action presently. After the good rains we've been having I imagine the steel fishery will start to get under way.

There are a plethoria of spinner combos that are very effective, once I get the final coats of fiberglass applied to my newest family member, I'll begin to turn out ( and post images) of the most productive spinners for winter metal.

C
carl hungis
sounds good

C
carl hungis
luv2fish said:
Bc Angling Post
17835 Se 82nd Dr, Gladstone, OR 97027-1825

Phone: (503) 655-4161

I know BC has great gear. Have you ever tried Big Moby Tackle? I deal with them all the time because they are so close. They have great stuff and do custom work with a quick turn around. I was refered to them by a guide friend. Apparently a lot of guides go through them for blades but they are not well known to the main stream public.

L
luv2fish
To be very honest....i don go to BC i just knew where ppl in this forum buy their stuff for spinners.
Me and my freind one time went to BC for that wire bending thingy and this guy tried to sell us the broken one...and he was like oo lemme see if i can fix that and my friend was like no..its not gonna work but that BC guy just keep pushing until my freind snapped and told him that he doesn't want it....
Later the guy who owns the store ( i'm assuming since he was nice and cordial) came and apologised and all that.

Never heard of "Moby" guys...mebbe cuz i'm not big into making spinners and like I said I trust blue fox and they work for me...

I'm supplying lead weights of all kind on east coast to big fishing stores and giving a tough competition to china...my cousin owns several harwdare factories in India so yeah ..pretty soon i'm gonna offer them to stores here.

C
carl hungis
luv2fish said:
To be very honest....i don go to BC i just knew where ppl in this forum buy their stuff for spinners.
Me and my freind one time went to BC for that wire bending thingy and this guy tried to sell us the broken one...and he was like oo lemme see if i can fix that and my friend was like no..its not gonna work but that BC guy just keep pushing until my freind snapped and told him that he doesn't want it....
Later the guy who owns the store ( i'm assuming since he was nice and cordial) came and apologised and all that.

Never heard of "Moby" guys...mebbe cuz i'm not big into making spinners and like I said I trust blue fox and they work for me...

I'm supplying lead weights of all kind on east coast to big fishing stores and giving a tough competition to china...my cousin owns several harwdare factories in India so yeah ..pretty soon i'm gonna offer them to stores here.

That story is interesting. I have heard other like that. I just thought I would share the info about spinner gear. As far as the lead I look forward to hearing about it.

M
meluvtrout
Jacks Snack N Tackle
1208 E. Historic Columbia Rvr Hwy
Troutdale, OR 97060

503-665-2257

Talk to Rob and ask for bell body spinners...

M
meluvtrout
FishFinger said:
Hey Carl,

There is a bit of a lull in the fishing action presently. After the good rains we've been having I imagine the steel fishery will start to get under way.

There are a plethoria of spinner combos that are very effective, once I get the final coats of fiberglass applied to my newest family member, I'll begin to turn out ( and post images) of the most productive spinners for winter metal.

We need to make one of those spinner swap contests here. Because of this rain, I've been working like a busy bear(more masculine than bee) on my spinners and made some quite interesting ones... Or I can just wait till you're done with the boat and start using them one by one... :D

By the way, do you have a name for her yet?

C
carl hungis
meluvtrout said:
We need to make one of those spinner swap contests here. Because of this rain, I've been working like a busy bear(more masculine than bee) on my spinners and made some quite interesting ones... Or I can just wait till you're done with the boat and start using them one by one... :D

By the way, do you have a name for her yet?

I think a spinner swap would rock! I have done a couple on Ifish and they work out nice!

I would be more than happy to organize it but I don't want to step on anyone's toes:)

Troutski
Troutski
I am in..

I am in..

carl hungis said:
I think a spinner swap would rock! I have done a couple on Ifish and they work out nice!

I would be more than happy to organize it but I don't want to step on anyone's toes:)

I would take part in one of these.....hell yes. Count me in.:dance: :dance: :clap:

Chuck

F
FishSchooler
BC is far, and my only open day is sunday... and it is closed on sundays... and sat is gone cause 3.5 hrs of orchestra :cool: and 2.5 hrs of chinese school :protest:... Our first concert is in december at the arline snitzchermabobber (?) hall... come if you want to and the tix are real cheap I think... we'll be playing a piece that most everyone has heard and it is much more complicated than twinkle twinkle... :lol: I might be able to pull a trip to BC on the 29th

A
ArcticAmoeba
carl hungis said:

I liked a # 4 Blackened Brass unit. Both body, and french blade were blackened, not painted black. Banked, well over 30 Summer Steelhead on that particular spinner combo, in #3's and 4's. Bonked probably 18-20 or so of the interested takers in 3 weeks, or 10 days targeting up on the Lewis/Cow/Kalama. A friend and I really like spinners when we know conditions are right, and they will produce if fished properly, but we are mostly bait bashers...And by george, we murder fish on our garbage.

C
carl hungis
ArcticAmoeba said:
I liked a # 4 Blackened Brass unit. Both body, and french blade were blackened, not painted black. Banked, well over 30 Summer Steelhead on that particular spinner combo, in #3's and 4's. Bonked probably 18-20 or so of the interested takers in 3 weeks, or 10 days targeting up on the Lewis/Cow/Kalama. A friend and I really like spinners when we know conditions are right, and they will produce if fished properly, but we are mostly bait bashers...And by george, we murder fish on our garbage.

Good deal! I have seen those before. I have tried it with brass and I haven't been able to do it. Any hints?

F
FishFinger
Carl, Wait till you get a load of how "we" make and tune "our" spinners. Arctic it seems has the black magic thing going on... He slays em with black. I haven't had that much success w/ black spinners as of yet. Red is more my color.

A spinner swap; sounds like a fun idea.

I have a few bazaar designs twisted up I haven't shown anyone yet.

I'll try and make some time this weekend to upload a few spinner images.

C
carl hungis
FishFinger said:
Carl, Wait till you get a load of how "we" make and tune "our" spinners. Arctic it seems has the black magic thing going on... He slays em with black. I haven't had that much success w/ black spinners as of yet. Red is more my color.

A spinner swap; sounds like a fun idea.

I have a few bazaar designs twisted up I haven't shown anyone yet.

I'll try and make some time this weekend to upload a few spinner images.

looking forward to seeing them.