Spinners as a lesson in imperminance

B
Boombollie
So after losing about ten bucks worth of spinners in four hours on the Siuslaw with nothing but skanky looking coho to show for it, I'm starting to think that fishing with spinners is ultimately a lesson in non-attachment and impermanence......

At this rate, I reckon switching to Buds over Blue Fox will still let me send my kids to college.:lol::lol::lol::lol:

C_Run
C_Run
I had a Bob Toman spinner I caught three salmon with this season. Seven bucks worth now on a log down deep. I'm still bummed and that was a couple of months ago.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Yep, even though the theory is "if you aren't loosing gear, it's not deep enough" or something like that, it still feels like you have a hole in your wallet. :doh: That is why I quit buying spendy gear. But, whatchagonnado?? :wall::wall:

brandon4455
brandon4455
start fly fishing flies are less then $1 each! LOL

D
DYJ
10 bucks in 4 hours?!?!?!?? You were doing good! :lol:

Deffinatly switch to the Buds, loosing a 1.89 spinner is easier on the wallet and I don't think that a 4.50 blue fox fishes any better down there. Last weekend I lost 6 spinners and my buddy lost 9. Yesterday I went down and bought 6 from the Mapleton market for 2.39 each. Lost 3 of them in the first two hours then switched to my bobber rod. The more I fish that river, the better I get at not loosing gear and floatfishing is slowly becomming a favorite. Now I bring a float rod and a spinner rod so I can switch up easily, Most the time I only throw spinners where I know I can bounce em off the bottom and have better chances of not snagging.

BTW.... yesterady, I got my fist winter steel down there on roe under a float.

Irishrover
Irishrover
If you have the time and inclination you can save a ton of money by making your own spinners. There are a few threads on here about spinner making. It's easy and really doesn't take much time to knock them out. Also there are quite a few places that sell the parts and all you need is a pair of round noser pliers to twist the wire. It's a lot of fun to catch fish on your own spinners. Here is a chinook that my wife caught on a spinner I made and the spinner that caught it. If you make your own you'll save money and catch fish. That's a good thing.

troutdude
troutdude
Irishrover said:
If you have the time and inclination you can save a ton of money by making your own spinners.

I cannot agree more. Making your own, is far LESS expensive. Plus, you can create your own designs! You can get really components from Fisherman Shack in Airlie (n. of Corvallis)...also his online site too. Don (the owner) is WELL versed in making and using spinners.

D
DYJ
Every year I tell myself that I am goin to look into making my own spinners, then I never do. I need to head down to Oregon rod and real and see if mike can set me up. Whats the average cost into a home made spinner?

K
Keith
Pentac are the best I have ever made. Ordered parts about three years ago and am still making luers....

troutdude
troutdude
DYJ said:
Whats the average cost into a home made spinner?

Maybe $1.75 - $2.50 (maybe more). It depends on what kind/brand you buy, sizes, quantity, etc.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Troudude is right it depends on the spinner you wish to make. Here is an example of what you can get at Cabelas cost per spinner is 73 cents.

For bigger spinners it more but far less than what you pay for a store bought spinner. I cut cost by buying thing on sale and going to places like Michaels a craft shop. You can buy beads there a lot cheaper because it's not a "fishing" store. I have a little over a dollar into the spinner in the post above. In the store they go from 6 to 7 dollars.

Last edited:
D
DYJ
Hmmm... 1.75 - 2.00 isn't much of a savings when you're using 1.89 Bud's already. I can see the pride and feelin of accomplishment of hookin a fish with a spinner made by your own hands but no much savings there.

Edit - $0.73 a spinner sounds a lot better to spend on river donations...

troutdude
troutdude
My figures may not be right. It's been a while, since I made my last batch.

BTW, it is true: if you aren't losing some on each trip...you're not getting them into the strike zone.

P.S. What stream were you donating to? I'd like to go snorkeling in the spring/summer, on a mission of retrieval! LOL

K
Kevinb5688
Make an account on lurepartsonline.com.
After a few days you will get a free shipping email. I got enough stuff to make 100 lures and it cost me 38$. Thats 38 cents a lure. I have caught 12 salmon and had one steelhead on.
The best part is you really do feel good catching fish on a lure you made.

Reactions: Boombollie
C
ChezJfrey
Kevinb5688 said:
Make an account on lurepartsonline.com.
After a few days you will get a free shipping email. I got enough stuff to make 100 lures and it cost me 38$. Thats 38 cents a lure. I have caught 12 salmon and had one steelhead on.
The best part is you really do feel good catching fish on a lure you made.

Wow, that's a great deal.

When I run short on supplies, I actually buy a few Buds, because they're cheap and decent. But, they aren't always heavy enough for some currents in a deeper, winter drift, so I still like to make my own...they usually end up costing me about $1.50/ea. in parts, so that < .50 is quite tempting.

troutdude
troutdude
That lure parts site is confusing...especially for a newbie. You'd be much better OFF buying from a local guy (like Don Greene, or other shop owners). They can show you what you need, how to make them, etc.

Once you've made some, then you can try variations, modifications, etc. But, I'd start simple if I were you, and ask people that know.

Yes, "cheap" is often appealing...if all you're doing is looking at the bottom line. But, that shouldn't be your only deciding factor. And cheap usually does not equal quality either.

B
Boombollie
ChezJfrey said:
Wow, that's a great deal.

When I run short on supplies, I actually buy a few Buds, because they're cheap and decent. But, they aren't always heavy enough for some currents in a deeper, winter drift, so I still like to make my own...they usually end up costing me about $1.50/ea. in parts, so that < .50 is quite tempting.
What's to keep someone from squeezing on a small spit shot right ahead of the spinner? I've done it to great effect up on the ass end of blue river to get number 2 spinners down a bit deeper in spring.

K
Kevinb5688
troutdude said:
That lure parts site is confusing...especially for a newbie. You'd be much better OFF buying from a local guy (like Don Greene, or other shop owners). They can show you what you need, how to make them, etc.

Once you've made some, then you can try variations, modifications, etc. But, I'd start simple if I were you, and ask people that know.

Yes, "cheap" is often appealing...if all you're doing is looking at the bottom line. But, that shouldn't be your only deciding factor. And cheap usually does not equal quality either.
I do agree. I started out with a mixed assortment kit, that way i learn all the sizes of lure parts and the number associated with them. Thanks for pointing that out.
Once you make a few you can hammer them out in about 2-3 minutes a piece.