Spinners and spoons...

B
Browning
I was talking to one of the guys in the fishing dept at Sportsmans today. He told me that for rigging spinners & spoons he ties his line to a barrel swivel, and then connects the swivel to the lure with a split ring. Like I've posted, I'm new to Steelie fishing, but this setup just seemed like too much hardware at the lure. Does anyone else rig this way?

N
ninja2010
that's definitely too much hardware at the top end... it'll tip your spinner off balance and hamper the action.

C
Cohosanders
Some say to use a snap swivel so the line does not get twisted, but I have caught many cohos w/out any swivels(just securely tied to the main line). Some spinners are made with a small swivel on top and that seems to work good. On a different note...I have seen people use spinners like a drift set-up w/a slinkie or lead weight and their reasoning was less snags. Hope this helps.

B
Browning
Yeah, I could see using a split ring on a spoon with a leader to the swivel. But attaching a spinner to a ring and then directly to the swivel just sounded goofy to me.. Thanks guys, I'm loving this place. You guys are quick with the help! I forgot to add.... I asked him why he didn't just use a snap swivel on the end of his line. He told me he had one let go once and no longer trusted them.

Last edited:
G
GoneFishin2134
I tie my not to the barrel swivel, 20" of leader. And a 3/8oz. slinky weight. Use P-line Ball Bearing swivels. Spendy, but worth the money. Worth the money in the end in fishing line. I never get line twist anymore. I use braided line too, line twist is braided lines worst enemy.

G
GoneFishin2134
not less snags. You can bounce the slinky, which makes the blade turn. If you want to get into using spoons and Spinners. I highly suggest you read about Jed davis, Jim bedford, spinner dave, etc. You have to understand how to use them correctly in order for them to work. What color, blade, blade color. Silver, brass, copper, and so on. Once you get it down, you will have great sucess.

Last edited:
F
fishfighter
if you don't buy a cheap swivel snap it won't brake but still check them often

R
rippin fish lips
Sorry to change the subject on this thread, maybe it shall be in a diff thread?! but where could i get a copy of the best jed davis books on using spoons and spinners? from anyone on here? library? or free off of anyone hat may have an extra book?

thanks, Tanner

Last edited:
H
halibuthitman
I feel sorry for a guy who has a mental dissorder about swivels becouse he lost one fish.... must not catch many fish:think:

F
fishfighter
I lost a nice king because of a straightened out swivel this year but I don't know how you would efectivly troll spoons without them one bad swivel shouldn;t steer you away from them

B
Browning
What size swivels do you guys use? I know I sound like an idiot, but I swear I've bass fished most of my life! This is a whole new game for me..

R
rippin fish lips
i use the smallest i can find.

F
fishfighter
I get #4 brass or silver

R
rippin fish lips
black not silver

F
fishfighter
I could never find the black ones the way I wanted them

C
Cohosanders
I had an eagle claw brand new red swivel broke in half by a nice little chromer last winter up@ E.C.......needless to say I was a little P.O'd Did a little ariel jump and all I reeled in was half of a swivel. I cannot say it is the brand ...maybe the fish or just that one that was defective.

H
halibuthitman
rippin fish lips said:
black not silver
silver looks like black the deeper it gets.

F
fishfighter
I don't know about you guys but I've been known to pull on snaps a lot to make sure they are good I've been told that will weaken them then a big king will do the same

F
fishfighter
bought a 6 back of eagle claw ratted up to 30 pounds last year all of them snapped when I try to put a lure on

H
halibuthitman
I only use mustad... you might say Im "hooked" on mustad!