Spinnerbaits

C
cdat
What size hooks/spinnerbaits do most folks use in Oregon/Wash? I'm new at bass fishing, most of the articles I read are talking more about bass fishing down south or in the midwest. The articles talk about 3/4 oz spinnerbaits with 5/0 or 4/0 hooks on them. Seem kind of large for this area, any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
John

EOBOY
EOBOY
cdat said:
What size hooks/spinnerbaits do most folks use in Oregon/Wash? I'm new at bass fishing, most of the articles I read are talking more about bass fishing down south or in the midwest. The articles talk about 3/4 oz spinnerbaits with 5/0 or 4/0 hooks on them. Seem kind of large for this area, any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
John

A Bass is a Bass! They don't know if they are in Oregon or Florida. They don't care. Hook size and spinner baits sound about right. You should see some of the BIG Bass Baits The Fishwhisperer use's.

B
BaldTexan
We always used big lures in the south for bass. Kept the smaller species like sand bass and hybrids off. Smaller spinnerbaits are just as effective but I don't recall going much smaller than a 3/0 hook.

F
Fishpdx
I use crappie spinnerbaits for smallies.

bass
bass
On the Willamette my favorites were a 1/4oz or 3/8oz white spinnerbait with tandem gold willowleaf blades. I like crawling that thing down rock ledges.

On the snaggy, lure-eating Tualatin I use a safety pin harness with a 1/8oz jighead and a Kalin salty grub. Lure cost is well under a buck. If I lose a couple during the course of the day I don't cry myself to sleep that night :)

C
cdat
Appreciate the info, just wondering as it seems most people recommended going with smaller plastic worms and hooks than are normally used down south. Will fish on with what I have.
Thanks
John

B
Berg03
Ya, a bass will hit something near the same size of it... I use large plastics that sometimes i catch 5 inch bass on a 10 inch plastic worm.... when they want it they will eat it!

bass
bass
I agree with you all about the size of the bait. For spinnerbaits I try to match the rate of fall of the lure to the depth I want to fish. I think that is the key. I want to fish the lure fast enough to make the blades spin nicely but keep it somewhat deep. That is why I like the willowleaf blades they allow me to work the spinnerbaits deeper. In NC I mostly fished shallower and preferred colorado blades. On the Willamette, I also catch a lot of bass when I stop reeling and just let the bait flutter to the bottom.

C
cdat
Thanks, appreciate the thoughts, learning this bassin game is a challenge, but also a ton of fun.

John

Fishnbuck
Fishnbuck
Does anyone know how ODFW categorizes a spinnerbait? Do they classify them like most fishermen do, as an artificial/lure; or as the name implies, they classify them as "bait"?

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Fishnbuck said:
Does anyone know how ODFW categorizes a spinnerbait? Do they classify them like most fishermen do, as an artificial/lure; or as the name implies, they classify them as "bait"?

Lure. All hard "baits" are lures.

Soft plastics are "bait" as far as ODFW is concerned. But things like spinnerbaits, inline spinners, crank baits, and jigs are all "lures"

B
Basshopper
If you are after large smallmouth on the Columbia especially this time of year right after spawn when the females suspend at the first deep water from the spawning area 3/4 to 1 oz. spinner baits slow rolled is a great bait for targeting those fish. Hang on when they bite they can take your rod for a ride.

Fishwhisperer44
Fishwhisperer44
I've been using 1/2 oz white & chartreuse spinnerbaits with a silver/ gold tandem willow leaf out on the grass flats on the upper willy this week. I have one word for it. FUN.

C
cdat
Actually, I caught my 1st ever bass today on a 1/2 oz green/chart spinnerbait in the Willy today, than caught my 2nd ever bass about 15 minutes later, same lure. Didn't take pics, both bass were no more than 10" long, didn't bother to take either out of the water. Was fishing out of my yak between St Johns bridge and the RR bridge, fun day. Now I see why people love fishing for smallies, those two went wacko, can't wait to catch one full sized.

Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
Smallies are great. You never know how they will fight, sometimes they bulldog, sometimes they jump. Sometimes they will take a fair bit of line, too. They don't fight themselves to death the way a wiper does, but that is OK, I always worried about the wipers I released. Smallies will give you a splash in the face as they swim away.