Spinner question

K
koboabe
quick question.
do you guys ever use scent gel, coon shrimp/prawn tails, or soft bait eggs on your spinners?
or does it destroy the action (of the lure) to bait a spinner?

F
FishSlayer420
I never have. I would think it would destroy the action like you said. Although when we run K-15 KwikFish we will put Anchovies on the under belly with stretchy string.

M
Mike123
I usually dunk my hook in Smelly Jelly. Makes a difference I think when fishing for salmon.
That or you can put a bit of yarn on the hook and add scent.
Bait may ruin the action...

K
Kodiak
goop on my gear

goop on my gear

as a general rule i don't use anything. On fish in the willy trbs for steelies its a reaction strike you are looking for out of a spinner for steelies. They do however make make special spinners for nooks like prawn/herring spinners designed for bait. I will also occasionally put on a chunk of herring or praen tail on the hook when fish are hitting short and need an extra second to get the hookset.

M
metalmania
I put on noors soap from b.c angling. I use it more to remove human scent than an attractant, but it does seem to work for both.

K
Kodiak
metalmania said:
I put on noors soap from b.c angling. I use it more to remove human scent than an attractant, but it does seem to work for both.

Won't that make fish fart bubbles?

M
metalmania
F
FishSchooler
I hope so, then it'll be easy sight fishing.

K
koboabe
maybe I need to get some TCO spinners and stop messing with my cheap hardware

H
hookmiester
I have used pink worms on Blue foxs, worked fine, kept the same action. I have used scent to, but I hate to clean them up after the day's over.

D
Derek
Back when I first started fishing we used to spray spinners with WD-40 but im not sure if it's legal anymore not sure if it was then either but when i was a kid thats what we did when fishing for kokanee so figured it would would work on Steelhead. But I would check on the regs on that one don't wana get anyone in trouble I heard it was prohibited from some people. WD-40 was a good scent though.

F
FishSchooler
Don't use WD 40 even if it's not illegal. That stuff was made for mechanics, not for fishermen. It's not made of fish oil or any other "environmental" substances. It's pretty much petroleum, so don't put that stuff in our rivers.

C
chris61182
FishSchooler said:
Don't use WD 40 even if it's not illegal. That stuff was made for mechanics, not for fishermen. It's not made of fish oil or any other "environmental" substances. It's pretty much petroleum, so don't put that stuff in our rivers.

Exactly what FishSchooler said, it's petroleum based. Using it in our water ways would be more a question for the DEQ or EPA.

S
steelhead_stalkers
From what I heard it used to have fish oils in it back in the day but no longer does!!

K
Kodiak
FishSchooler said:

your Bearing bead shouldn't need any lube!:rolleyes:

D
Derek
like I said I used it back when I was younger 80's early 90's I know there are some guides that used to use it in there roe cure. Thats why I said you better check with someone.

F
FishSchooler
Kodiak said:
your Bearing bead shouldn't need any lube!:rolleyes:

I dont get it...

K
koboabe
haha, the last thing I am going to do, is to start spraying all my gear down with WD-40...
maybe I will use TRI-Flow (haha, just kidding)

I dont even like to use Joy dish soap in the water...
if fish are human (scent) shy, I dont see why they would bite at some WD-40, even if it contained a small amount of fish oil.

K
Kodiak
koboabe said:
haha, the last thing I am going to do, is to start spraying all my gear down with WD-40...
maybe I will use TRI-Flow (haha, just kidding)

I dont even like to use Joy dish soap in the water...
if fish are human (scent) shy, I dont see why they would bite at some WD-40, even if it contained a small amount of fish oil.

WD-40 has a polycarbon that simulates a stimulant that may fool fish. I personally dont use the goop. Your Gear after using lemon joy will be better if you put it away for 3 to 6 months. After about five fish on the same piece of gear it will need to be cleaned and put up. I have a UV cleaner that shortens the process from 3-6 months to about 5-7 mins. The intensity of the UV light and its proximity to Gamma Radiation destroy carbon bonds making your gear scent free.

F
FishSchooler
In one of my books, it said once you have a "smelly" plug, you can brush it with toothpaste, rince it off in clean water, then it'll fish like it was when it was new. Can't you do this with spinners?
And why not just take shrimp or any other kind of bait scents and smear it on? :think: