Spinner jigs for steelhead

F
fish_4_all
I don't know how many of you know what I am talking about so.... Basically it is a jig with a spinner blade put on the shank connected by a barrel swivel and a split ring. I haven't tied any yet but if aqny of you have heard of a road runner jg you know the basic idea.

Has anyone ever used them? Do they sould like they should work? Combining a spinner blade with jig can't be too bad of an idea.

I will be tying some up, maybe tonight, so I can show the concept and get some better feedback.

Y
youngbuck307
Why not just bobber fish a #4 spinner... It's got as much waight as a jig head... Not a lot of people do it in Oregon but done some reading up on people who do... Then early this winter seen a old man and 2 older women and 2 of them were float fishing spinners!

F
fish_4_all
The blade on the jig doesn't spin, it flutters more or less. Gives an almost wounded effect to a jig. I have tried even the smallest spinners on a float and once it start spinning the float almost always gets pulled under in the current if using a small float. I just figured that since it works for other predatory species like crappie and bass that steelhead might find it appetizing. Jigs work well, spinners work well, the two together could be killer.

Last edited:
M
Markcanby
I'm with you on this one. I did see up at Fishermans they had a bunch of these little spinners in the clearance box.

F
First Bite
I use something similar. It's a colorado blade, split ring and swivels. For the hook I use a dressed siwash. Canadians just call em "blades" I believe.

F
fish_4_all
spinnerjigs1.jpg

As promised here is a picture of what I made. I think they should work in some situations for summers and may even work for Coho. Still need some tweaking because I didn't figure out how to secure the swivel to make sure it doesn't move at all but it should stay put for the most part.

Brass on dark jig, silver on light ones, followed the old rule of thumb: bright days bright colors and silver, dark days dark colors and brass.

Should make a nice fast water summer run jig and an kind of riffle water should make it dance. Jigging it in slow water and from water should get somethings attention. Either that or it will chase them all to my buddy in the next hole.