Spincasters...

Troutski
Troutski
Like most anglers I started with a spin casting reel, commonly known as a Zebco, well they have grown up and know offer a nicer heaver duty line of reels. My question is do you use a casting rod or a spinning rod with these reels? Just can't seem to get the hang of my bait caster, not for lack of practice...must be the city boy in me. Anyway was thinking of getting one of there high end models and putting it on a nice rod, but don't have a clue... any help would be greatly appreciated. For all I know there is another maker of these reels, like I said "not a clue".

Chuck

C
chris61182
I thought they normally went on casting rods, but I'm in the process of moving so I don't have my old zebco handy to take a closer look.

O
OneMore
Ive seen some abu and plueger spincasst reels. I also saw bill dance and a zebco guy killing big bass on a new zebco spincast.

1aB
There was a demonstration of casting accuracy years ago on "Hawaiian Moving Co." TV show - the guy's choice of reel was a spincaster. My jig mentor insists that a spincaster can cast a small jig further & with greater accuracy than an open face spinner, and sent me a Daiwa Goldcast spooled with his favorite Tectan 5.3# test line to try. The reel is a top mount so a quality bait casting rod would probably have better guide placement than a spinning rod.

D
Drew9870
Troutski,

I am not an expert on pole construction, but I do know that some baitcasting rods are meant to bend backwards only, I found out the hard way with one of my grandfathers rods :shock: (luckily he has millions of fishing rods).

The reason for what I say is, it is possible that spinning rods are not capable of bending backwards.

1aB
My impression of the Goldcast is that it has many limitations compared to a spinning reel:
1. The spool housing adds excess weight & needs to be removed to access the line end.
2. The narrow spool doesn't hold much line.
3. Only light limp mono will work - no micro fiber or stiff XT.
4. Drag isn't very smooth.
5. Line pickup is just a short metal pin that appears to have the potential to damage line.

But, with a matched rod, it feels user friendly and some pretty amazing catches were landed on Snoopies & Barbies !

Troutski
Troutski
Barbies & Snoopies...

Barbies & Snoopies...

1aB said:
My impression of the Goldcast is that it has many limitations compared to a spinning reel:
1. The spool housing adds excess weight & needs to be removed to access the line end.
2. The narrow spool doesn't hold much line.
3. Only light limp mono will work - no micro fiber or stiff XT.
4. Drag isn't very smooth.
5. Line pickup is just a short metal pin that appears to have the potential to damage line.

But, with a matched rod, it feels user friendly and some pretty amazing catches were landed on Snoopies & Barbies !

With this stigma one can see why I am a bit hesitant to order one without at least some input from the members. The one I have my eye on the the Green Hulk model :D it holds 125 yrds of 20#, of course the line is green..

Chuck

1aB
"Troutski" thats pretty serious line - what species are you targeting with what presentation method?

F
fourgotten
Troutski said:
Like most anglers I started with a spin casting reel, commonly known as a Zebco, well they have grown up and know offer a nicer heaver duty line of reels. My question is do you use a casting rod or a spinning rod with these reels?
Chuck

Casting rod. Spincasters are designed to sit atop the rod, thus the thumb button rather than finger trigger.

some months ago, I caught a neat, cheap-o casting rod in Junction City pond with a spinning reel attached... I went out and got a cheap-o (Eagle Claw Durango, to match the rod) spin-casting reel to go with it... still haven't had a chance to go play with it, but my favorite "travel" rod is a spin-caster... telescopes from about 8" to about 40" and has Scooby-Doo on it... :D

Troutski
Troutski
Large Mouth...

Large Mouth...

1aB said:
"Troutski" thats pretty serious line - what species are you targeting with what presentation method?

Large Mouth Bass, it appears that spinning reels have a difficult time with larger diameter line sizes. I just can't seem to get the hang of baitcasters so my idea was to go to the spincaster reel.

Chuck

H
Hook
Having trouble with line twists while using spinners/ using a snap with them also. Any ideas?

1aB
"Troutski" I've gotten a few bass in warmer CA & HI up to 8# or so & 8#(mono) spinning gear seemed fine without resorting to the 20# micro fiber spool. But, I assume you're interested in the Zebco 808sw(?) because you've already got a matching rod? Well, under $40 isn't too big a hit, but geez, those bass you're thinking about are in for a rough pull !

"Hook" there were some recent posts about twisted line remedies.

Last edited:
Troutski
Troutski
Thanks.

Thanks.

1aB said:
"Troutski" I've gotten a few bass in warmer CA & HI up to 8# or so & 8#(mono) spinning gear seemed fine without resorting to the 20# micro fiber spool. But, I assume you're interested in the Zebco 808sw(?) because you've already got a matching rod? Well, under $40 isn't too big a hit, but geez, those bass you're thinking about are in for a rough pull !

"Hook" there were some recent posts about twisted line remedies.

Thanks ..... The info is much appreciated ..

Chuck

D
Drew9870
Troutski,

The bass in Oregon aren't really big enough to be reaching for 20lb or even 16lb line, the max heaviest line I would ever use for bass is 12lb test. I am assuming you are worried about line abrasion, getting tangled around structure, and/or snags, if this is the case, then green spiderwire braid would be a good idea, and if you use thin enough braid, you can put it on a larger spinning reel. But if you were going to be jigging or worming for bass, I wouldn't go lower than 6lb or higher than 10lb, I fish light when I am jigging so I can feel any bump or nibble, but you also have to worry about line abrasion when jigging around structure.

If you are worried about line abrasion, I would recommend Trilene abrasion resistant line, its flourescent green, but I have caught many wary, line shy trout with the stuff.

Reactions: Troutski
Troutski
Troutski
Mega thanks...

Mega thanks...

Drew9870 said:
Troutski,

The bass in Oregon aren't really big enough to be reaching for 20lb or even 16lb line, the max heaviest line I would ever use for bass is 12lb test. I am assuming you are worried about line abrasion, getting tangled around structure, and/or snags, if this is the case, then green spiderwire braid would be a good idea, and if you use thin enough braid, you can put it on a larger spinning reel. But if you were going to be jigging or worming for bass, I wouldn't go lower than 6lb or higher than 10lb, I fish light when I am jigging so I can feel any bump or nibble, but you also have to worry about line abrasion when jigging around structure.

If you are worried about line abrasion, I would recommend Trilene abrasion resistant line, its flourescent green, but I have caught many wary, line shy trout with the stuff.

Exactly the information I was hoping for....I believe I will stick to a spinning reel and use the spare spool for the heaver line (10#), maybe up grade my rod to a med-heavy one and try to use a bit more fineness when fishing heavy cover. Thanks to every one for the responses and helpful hints.

Chuck

1aB
A lot of the bassin' media is created by tournament anglers who appear to often use heavy lures to punch through severe cover or sink fast. The heavy lures on heavy lines(up to 80# braid!) allow horsing fish in ASAP minimizing the chance of hook throwing or gear failure. Tournament bassin' on TV made me aware that hookset & boating could be a single technique!

But, us "normal" anglers perhaps like to quietly hone our skills in coaxing a fish to bite and enjoying its struggles to thwart capture. My fave bassin' approach is to pinpoint a weightless plastic or light jig into visible structure and very slowly tick through likely holding areas. Actually, I think a slower retrieving spincast outfit balanced for 8-10# mono could be more accurate and sensitive than my 2500 spinning reel combos for finesse bassin'. Only got to dry run (aka yard) the Goldcast (a trouter) but it does indeed offer smooth & accurate casting + less busy retrieves.