Spin fishing the Crooked today.

B
BrianW
I'm visiting family in Prineville this weekend, and wanted to do some fishing today, or tommorrow. I don't know how to fly fish, so I have my trusty spinning rod. Any tips for me? Lures, colors, places to go?

Thanks for any help. Hoping to show my father in law how to fish:lol:

Brian--

brandon4455
brandon4455
BrianW said:
I'm visiting family in Prineville this weekend, and wanted to do some fishing today, or tommorrow. I don't know how to fly fish, so I have my trusty spinning rod. Any tips for me? Lures, colors, places to go?

Thanks for any help. Hoping to show my father in law how to fish:lol:

Brian--
for spinners i would use small rainbow or black rooster tails and black panther martin with yellow dots and gold blade. IFBAIT IS ALLOWED: use a single hook on your spinner and tip it wih a nightcrawler
and you can also use flies under a bobber. try a woolly bugger under a clear adjust-a-bubble float in olive or black good luck,

brandon

B
BrianW
Thanks. That was kinda what I was planning. Figured I would use the Ultra light rod, and some little panther martins. Are there any "great" spots to look for? Figured I would just start walking, and see what I can see.:dance:

brandon4455
brandon4455
BrianW said:
Thanks. That was kinda what I was planning. Figured I would use the Ultra light rod, and some little panther martins. Are there any "great" spots to look for? Figured I would just start walking, and see what I can see.:dance:

bigsteel could tell you where to go. walking up and down lookin for spots woild work im sure. sorry i couldn't help out on the spots. and welcome to the forum,

brandon

Last edited:
B
BrianW
Thanks. I found this forum two weeks ago when a buddy moved to Cottage Grove, OR. I also have a sis in law in Prineville, and one in Bend, so we spend some time up here, and everytime I visit, I try my best to catch some local trout. Finding this forum appears to be way better than talking to the guy that works at Bi-mart:D

brandon4455
brandon4455
BrianW said:
Thanks. I found this forum two weeks ago when a buddy moved to Cottage Grove, OR. I also have a sis in law in Prineville, and one in Bend, so we spend some time up here, and everytime I visit, I try my best to catch some local trout. Finding this forum appears to be way better than talking to the guy that works at Bi-mart:D

ha. well this place is great im glad you find it helpful. if you have any questions just ask.. hope ya catch some big ones
all the best,

brandon

S
slimyguts
Careful with the ultralight stuff. There are some monster browns that can tear that stuff up.

S
spmpdr
slimyguts said:
Careful with the ultralight stuff. There are some monster browns that can tear that stuff up.

On the crooked? I have been fishing there almost a year now and havent seen a brown yet.

S
spmpdr
BrianW said:

anywhere between the cattle guard and the dam, just pick a spot !!!!

S
spmpdr
brandon4455 said:
for spinners i would use small rainbow or black rooster tails and black panther martin with yellow dots and gold blade. IFBAIT IS ALLOWED: use a single hook on your spinner and tip it wih a nightcrawler
and you can also use flies under a bobber. try a woolly bugger under a clear adjust-a-bubble float in olive or black good luck,

brandon

Bait is not allowed now, but all the spinners and lures brandon suggested will work great. Do you have waders? I have had better luck wading than fishing the bank. The water is super cold now, I was just out there on thanksgiving.

brandon4455
brandon4455
spmpdr said:
Bait is not allowed now, but all the spinners and lures brandon suggested will work great. Do you have waders? I have had better luck wading than fishing the bank. The water is super cold now, I was just out there on thanksgiving.

i like fishing the undercut banks with a small black rooster tail during cold weather. it's buggy looking because the hackle on the hook plus the flash of the blade. i find fish tend to sit in the shallow water during cold weather and they like to hide next to the bank.

B
BrianW
Ended up never getting out to Prineville this weekend, instead I did some snow hiking along the deschutes river, and caught a couple browns. Good day all in all. You sure can't beat the Oregon streams:D

• trout3.jpg
Last edited:
brandon4455
brandon4455
BrianW said:
Ended up never getting out to Prineville this weekend, instead I did some snow hiking along the deschutes river, and caught a couple browns. Good day all in all. You sure can't beat the Oregon streams:D

beautiful fish bro. i love the pattern on browns.. were you using spinners?

B
BrianW
Yep, just your run of the mill panther martins. Almost the only thing I throw. Works everytime:D

T
Throbbit _Shane
beautiful trout! i need to fish the deschutes one day :D

B
BrianW
Not gonna be able to fish today, headed back to California. Thanks for the advise. I'll be back:D

brandon4455
brandon4455
BrianW said:
Not gonna be able to fish today, headed back to California. Thanks for the advise. I'll be back:D

no problem bro glad to see you had fun. talk to you later,

brandon :)