Speydicator?

J
joesnuffy
Any of you Spey fishers use the Speydicator? I've heard that they are pretty good so I just ordered one.

please comment.

Irishrover
Irishrover
I'm using the Air Flo compact skagit. It is great for big flies and sinking line. However I've heard that the Speydicator is some what better because it is much easier to mend. It is like the next generation up from the compact Skagit. Ninja, Eggs, OnTheFly and I all hit the Clackamas River last Saturday with Spey set ups. Perhaps one of them might have a good answer for you.

G
GDBrown
Irishrover said:
......Ninja, Eggs, OnTheFly and I all hit the Clackamas River last Saturday with Spey set ups.....

With so much talent out there Saturday I wonder why there's no report with attached photos?:rolleyes: Did you guys float or just stand there?:D

GD

Irishrover
Irishrover
GDBrown said:
With so much talent out there Saturday I wonder why there's no report with attached photos?:rolleyes: Did you guys float or just stand there?:D

GD

Just banked it. The whole idea was just to work on the spey casting. Which we did. Now I'm thinking about a new spey rod and this Speydicator line Joesnuffy is asking about has got me to thinking:think:. It might be the line I should get for the new rod. It has the benefits of a compact head but is easy to mend.

G
GDBrown
Oh!

F
FishFiddle
Great Minds! I just got a Speydicator on Friday last, have not had it on the water yet. Played with it a bit in the back yard and it has a really good feel to it. I may get a chance to hit some water in the AM. I just really like the versatility factor, being able to nymph and mend as well as the ability to add a sinking tip if need be. I just really like fishing with a floating line.

E
eightweight
Not to hijack the thread but the new rio switch line does a decent job if you have a stroke and the basics down as a good tweener line...I carry a nymph rod on my back though so I tend to stick with two separate rigs...

J
joesnuffy
I've heard about the RIO Switch. The head lengths and tapers are a little bit different then the speydicator but pretty close. The problem i have with the RIO is that it is a line for something different that "kinda" works. The Speydicator was engineered just for this.

I guess I won't know for sure until i try it out. It should arrive int he mail before the weekend so I can try it out. :)

N
ninja2010
the speydicator, and later rio's switch line, is pretty much a skagit compact (think short heavy head) with integrated tapered running line for easy mending.

if you're versed on waterborne anchor casts, the speydicator would feel very similar to the skagit lines. they're meant to lift and haul dead birds - so delicacy of presentation takes the backseat.

one word of caution on the speydicator - it's a reel hog. even large arbor spey reels have a tight fit... the integrated running line is a little thicker than regular running lines for shooting heads.

J
joesnuffy
thanks for the heads up. My skagit has plenty of clearance so hopefully the speydicator will fit :p

N
ninja2010
didja get a chance to try the speydicator? and, btw, where do you fish? trying to gauge where all the 2 handers on this forum swing.

F
FishFiddle
I played w/ mine (Speydicator) on the Santiam for an hour or two. Sometimes it feels really good but mostly it is ugly. I'm gonna need some help other than youtube! It is tough being a total newb. I fish all over the central valley and sometimes north, sometimes south, sometimes east and sometimes west. Not being a smart a**, just willing to go most anywhere.

N
ninja2010
what sort of casting - overhead, skagit, scandi?

F
FishFiddle
I have the Speydicator line on a 13' 8wt. I been working on the snap T. with limited success so far. Tomorrow is another day.

N
ninja2010
i know what it's like when starting out with a 2-hander... it's sweet when you get it, and ugly when the cast is flawed. i did a lot of youtube when i started too, but that only gets you so far. if you haven't i would recommend getting your hands on the skagit master dvd with ed ward (not the second one). he gives you the basics and mechanics of skagit casting. that helped me tremendously to correct my casting errors and set me straight.

maybe we should fish together sometime. i'm trying to meet up and fish with spey guys from this forum.

F
FishFiddle
Thanks! PM sent.

J
joesnuffy
I DID get to use the Speydicator and I really like it. The line matched up quite nicely with my rod. I'm still a noob at spey casting in general but the speydicator was way easier then fishing a skagit.

Reaching the far side of the Wallowa River wasn't a problem for me......... but I still need improvement. I was also a fan of the easy up stream mends I was able to do while *cough*cough* nymphing. Long drifts were no problem.

I did have an issuse getting the entire line on the reel. When it's off the rod I have about 6 feet that will not fit on the spool (and a skagit fit fine). I'm not sure why they put so much running line on it. Seems like it's not needed....

I might be able to get back out there this weekend at some point. I'd really like to get a steelhead to the bank before the season ends......

N
ninja2010
joesnuffy said:
I did have an issuse getting the entire line on the reel. When it's off the rod I have about 6 feet that will not fit on the spool (and a skagit fit fine). I'm not sure why they put so much running line on it. Seems like it's not needed....

told ya!

it's not just the length of the r/l, but also the taper that makes it bulky. and it's the speydicator - so it's got a lot of r/l so you can dead drift for a looooong ways if ya want to, just like what the centerpin guys with their long rods do.

but it's good to hear that you liked the line, and you can chuck it out where you want it.

better than a skagit, huh? maybe i should give it another look.

F
FishFiddle
I had to go to a larger reel....got the Lamson Konic 4. Mitch at Two Rivers gave me a pretty good deal on it and spooled it up with 20# backing and was able to squeeze 100 yds. on. I guess if one gets out 400' on me then it deserves to break off, guess I won't be tuna fishing with it. :D

J
joesnuffy
ninja2010 said:
so it's got a lot of r/l so you can dead drift for a looooong ways if ya want to,

I'm not sure how your supposed to get a hookset in with that much line out there....... I dno't expect to get lucky enough to have the fish hook itself.