spey casting lesson

Irishrover
Irishrover
Last Friday I went to the Bull Run River to pratice spey casting. Another guy showed up with a spey rod. We talked a bit and it turned out he was a guide and was there to test out a new shooting head proto-type skagit line. He asked me how long I'd been spey fishing with a skagit line. I told him about how Catch-22 had got me started on the right path and it had only been a couple of weeks. He then spent the next two hours teaching me how to cast with a skagit line. I told him I did want to take up his him as he was a professional and I didn't want to take advantage of him. He just laughed and said he was having fun, not to worry about it and just learn. By the time he had left he had me casting and shooting my new skagit line like it should be done.

I have had two really good experiences learing how to fish with a spey rod from upbeat intelligent people willing to share their skills with an old duffer. Now I need to do my part and hook a fish! Thanks C-22 Jason and Dave Hubbard of Hubbards guide service.

PS Spey fishing is a blast! ;)

J
joesnuffy
that's awesome. I learned a little spey casting last summer from a friend. I hadn't used it until my last steelhead trip this winter. I don't have a spey rod but i was doing it single handed..... good stuff and looks so cool when done properly.

C
Catch 22
What?? You still haven't caught a fish yet?? We'll have to try to change that soon.
I have a goose hunt on Saturday and some partying to do that night. But after that we need to give it a whirl. The rain's not supposed to stop all week anyway so....
Glad you got some more lessons. Sounds like you learned some stuff and are pretty excited to get after it. Good on you! We'll see you soon.

Now you need to learn how to text message. :think:

M
mikeredding
I can't believe that I am going to say this but what is spey casting? I have been fishing my whole life (and consider myself to be pretty dang good:cool:) but have never heard of this.:think:

J
joesnuffy
Irishrover
Irishrover
Spey casting is a style of two handed flyfishing with long rods. It originated in Scotland on the Spey River. It's a lot of fun and adds another method of going after fish. The site Joe posted has a ton of information about it. The other thing about spey fishing is it give you another chance to spend your money on fishing equipment. Rod reel line ect:lol:

C-22 ok I'll keep an eye on the water and good luck with the geese.