Spent a day with my bug wand

J
JeannaJigs
Tuesday night I loaded up the jeep to go on an overnighter to my favorite trout stream. I figured it would be easier for me to drive over and sleep in the jeep the night before than wake up at an ungodly hour to make the 170 mile pilgrimage. (This is my logic for working graveyard shift lol). It was a long boring drive until I got near lost lake on the santiam highway, and annihilated a coyote, came out of nowhere and I was going fast. Not sure how there's no damage to the jeep other than some hair tufts and a little gore. Spent the night warm in my sleeping bag but it was in the 20's and my dog was freezing so I didn't really sleep much trying to keep my stinky dog warm.

We made it through the night and rose showed up in the morning, and the fishing adventure was on.

The river is lower than I have ever seen it, and it made fishing challenging. It wasn't the best day I've had over there but the sun was shining and I caught fish so it was a win.

Oddly it was the most crowded I have ever seen it, and it was a weekday. It was tough to find decent water. Maybe everyone's been going stir crazy with the lame weather lately that they all flocked to the water when the sun came out?

Also a side note, I got in about 1 am and missed the campground so went up a ways in oblivion before turning around, but I saw a LARGE canine and I have an email into ODFW about the range of those eastern wolves. It was obviously dark but I had it run out in front of me about 20 feet away on the highway and it was huge and appeared very dark gray almost black in color. I know there's a ton of coyotes, but this was enormous with the longest legs. We shall see what they say about it.

No snakes out :) hooray. Glad for that the pup had a blast, she's a good little Sherpa with her pack on. She didn't even take off with Rose's rod this time. She slept like the dead on the drive home, and then slept outside cause if it was gross and smelly, she rolled in it. She even found me the grossest looking deer carcass I have ever seen :-/ dogs are magnets for nasty.

zu9e7ybe.jpg

y3any6us.jpg

gabyry7e.jpg

7u8uza5u.jpg

tejy4aru.jpg

ygagy2ym.jpg

ga8yjune.jpg

aty4abu5.jpg
4y2enaje.jpg

Reactions: bass
J
JustMe
Glad you and the pup had a nice (and safe) trip! It's amazing what our dogs can find to roll around in.

R
_RJ_
Bug wand...lol. Good job out there.

bass
bass
Great report. Love all the pics. Thanks for sharing!

hobster
hobster
bass said:
Great report. Love all the pics. Thanks for sharing!

+1 Felt like I was right there with ya. Love the dog pack, my dog's so old now he'd get pissed if I put one of those on him. Great reading, now that the steelies are pretty much done on my local river I'm looking forward to doing some fly fishing for trout with the bug wand :lol: You got me stoked!

J
JeannaJigs
ytejetuq.jpg

She loves her pack, she swims in it and everything. Gets super excited when she sees me getting it out because she knows there's either a hiking or fishing adventure in the works. Her problem is she follows me out in the river and sometimes it's deeper than she is tall lol. She climbed up on this rock in the middle of the river and then couldn't figure out her next move. She also saw a pine marten and crossed the river to try and kill it. She was on time out tied to my wading belt after that for a while lol

M
mikeee2362
Nice Adventure!! Great Pics!

T
TimberTodd
Thanks for sharing the trip Jeanna. Let us know what you find out about the possible wolf sighting.

Aervax
Aervax
Congrats on maybe seeing a wolf. ODF confirmed early this year that a wolf has been working the east slope of Mt Hood. Lone wolves have almost limitless range as they are on the prowl to find a mate.

I see a lot of wolves, seriously a ton of wolves, when I deer hunt in Wyoming. A pack cornered, killed and ate a yearling steer one night a couple hundred yards outside our camp. It was way worse than a B class horror movie. The shrieking and bawling of the cow and the chatter of the wolves. No one got much sleep that night.

Anyway, what you described about long legs and being super tall fits what I have seen to a T. We were glassing the slope across the canyon one day watching a herd of does during the rut, hoping a decent buck would pop out of the woods. Movement at the corner of my view moved my line of sight down and too the left. Peripheral glimpse had me expecting to see more mule deer. To my pleasant surprise it was 4 wolves putting a stalk on the deer.

Though they they were totally busted and did not have a chance of getting close enough, what got my attention most is how big they were compared to the deer. They were seriously just as tall as some of the deer. It was shocking how huge they looked with the size comparison.

I think you saw a wolf. It will be interesting to hear what ODFW says.

J
JeannaJigs
Wow well if one made it to mt hood the crooked isn't an unreasonable place to have one wander I guess. It was seriously tall, very leggy. It was skinny and lanky too. I've seen some big coyotes but nothing like this. The coloring was off for a coyote too. I was looking at photos of some of the tagged wolves and there's some black/very dark grey ones in the mix and I think that's what I saw. No word back yet but I suspect that's indeed what I saw. Kinda cool and oddly disturbing at the same time lol. Wish I coulda got a picture of it but it was one of those quick crossings and off into the darkness it went.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Great report! I'm glad you two didn't meet that wolf on the river bank! I have a feeling the only way Wheezer could wear a pack is if I put him on stilts...I can more easily see him in MY backpack. :lol:

L
lilsalmon
It was great fishing with you again. Ava is a good fishin dog. I had a fish spit my fly pretty much at my feet and Ava went in the water thinking she would retrieve it for me. Took a coworker with us as he had never been there and he loved it. We all got into fishes so that made for an even better trip. The blizzard on the pass coming home rounded out the trip perfectly......

J
JeannaJigs
It was awful coming home, leaving that sunshine and hitting snow. Depressing.

F
FishFinger
Fun report!

But, concerning your NBR (near beast encounter) did it have glowing red eyes? There have been Sasquatch sightings in central Oregon recently. If I was a Sasquatch I'd have a pet Chupacabra; and let it run OFF leash...

R
Rusty Stern
Hey..... I know that river.....

S
steelhead_slayer
Nice pictures. Glad you made it

L
Leon Fish
Nice Pics! Looks like a great trip. Thanks for sharing.