Spawning trout

W
wormosa
silly question, but i have to ask, do spawning trout die like salmon do?

M
Mike123
Last summer I got to see something amazing and I never seen before!
Rainbow trout leaving a lake and making it up a VERY small creek miles and miles up to spawn. Allen Creek... These fish were not acting like normal creek trout. They were flat out FURIOUS! You could catch them on a bare hook if you could stay stealthy and out of vision. I must of C-n-R'd 50-60 trout at least on that trip. All I used were little tube jigs. You stand way upstream and jig them down off the bottom and these trout would come and SLAM the jig!
They were all colored up and ready to spawn. A few really large ones were caught by me and my brother. 15in.+ Kept a couple brooks for the frying pan.

From what I know trout can spawn more than once. That's what a brood trout is at a hatchery. They just use them over and over to get eggs out of. Steelhead can spawn more than once and return to the ocean, hence the name "drop back."

T
TTFishon
They live through it and I think they spawn twice a year. I could be wrong but I remember reading it somewhere.

M
Mike123
I believe they spawn once a year... some fall, some spring to early summer. Depends on climate. Depends on species. I know browns spawn in the fall.
Most bows spawn in spring or early summer.

Last edited:
T
TTFishon
That makes sense. I've seen them with eggs in all four seasons.

W
wormosa
thanks you guys, i was curious....

B
bigsteel
are those rainbows mike

T
TTFishon
The first two are rainbows and the last two are brookies.

M
Mike123
TTFishon said:
The first two are rainbows and the last two are brookies.

TT's got it.

Lots of fish I didn't get pics of cause I wanted to release quick but man some of those fish had some pretty colors.