Spawn sacks?

B
bassman503
Are spawn sacks effective? I dont have any eggs, so could I just buy jars of Pautzkes and make sacks out of them? What do you think about this approach?

M
Mike123
Honestly I do better with just glo bugs or yarnies with or without ez eggs. I do however use the spawn netting for TUNA BALLS! I have tried the spawn sacks with Pautzke's eggs... no luck. I'm sure it would be effective in the right conditions though.

H
halibuthitman
one of the finest most effective ways to kill low clearwater steelhead is with a single red bead, one of the finest producing steelheaders ive ever known... I would even go so far a to say legend status.. fished 4-6 lb line... a very small hook tied a 1'' piece of black knitting yarn above the eye and baited it with one orange pautzkies ball o'fire egg... this fella lost more fish than i have ever caught.. and landed more fish than I ever will, so obviously balls o' fire work... but as was said before, corki and yarn is the winchester lever action rifle of steelheading.. your wasting bait, but it is your bait.. so let us know how it works.

B
bassman503
thanks guys. I guess i wont be spending my money on that then. Ive gone steelhead fishing 3 times now and have only hooked one without landing it. I was just looking into trying different things to ink my tag! I really need new fishing holes and i would appreciate it if any fellow OFF members would know any holes that theyve had lucked at and told me the location. PM me if you are generous enough. I live in NE portland so any place within an hour would be nice! Thanks a ton OFF!

L
lizardman
Spawn sacks work great if you've cured your own roe or the roe you have purchased is too runny to stay on the hook well, but you have to have the 'milk' and skein around the eggs so that the water will get milky when you put your spawn sack in. Balls of fire or other salmon eggs that are singled out and cured for trout don't 'milk' out when you put them in the water and are best in a single egg small hook aproach.

Dave

B
bassman503
I understand now, thanks. Just difficult for me to get a hold of eggs..

M
Mike123
Out of all the steelhead I've caught, I think one of them bit eggs. Steelhead are too stupid to waste bait on. Your better off going to the store and spending $4.50 on a lb. of prawns.

Diehard
Diehard
my 2cents i was up on the clack 2 wks ago i have used up all my eggs so i got into my trout box grabbed a couple jars of pautzkes and went to rivermill dam made up some spawn sacks with the pautzkes hooked one fish drifting them/salmon on monday two hrs fishn. tues hr and a half one fish/salmon with bobber fishing was slow there was a guy throwing fresh cured eggs with sand shrimp down there both days he hooked zero im not saying there the greatest but they will get you fish in a pinch god luck

B
bassman503
Mike123 said:
Out of all the steelhead I've caught, I think one of them bit eggs. Steelhead are too stupid to waste bait on. Your better off going to the store and spending $4.50 on a lb. of prawns.

Prawns seem good. Would I just buy any frozen package? Or the fresh ones?

B
bassman503
Diehard said:
my 2cents i was up on the clack 2 wks ago i have used up all my eggs so i got into my trout box grabbed a couple jars of pautzkes and went to rivermill dam made up some spawn sacks with the pautzkes hooked one fish drifting them/salmon on monday two hrs fishn. tues hr and a half one fish/salmon with bobber fishing was slow there was a guy throwing fresh cured eggs with sand shrimp down there both days he hooked zero im not saying there the greatest but they will get you fish in a pinch god luck

Thanks for the knowledge. Pautzkes are spendy sorta!

M
Mike123
bassman503 said:
Prawns seem good. Would I just buy any frozen package? Or the fresh ones?

I'm not sure where you get the fresh ones.. I just went to Shop N Kart and got cheap, frozen bait quality prawns. Steelies like 'em.