Spawn already!!!!!

K
Kevinb5688
i live in junction city oregon and am trying to have a friendly tournement at a lake around my house, but i want the fish to be on there nest before we fish to make sure its a good tourney.
the water remains around 53-54 degrees for the last 3 weeks. need a week or two of nice weather. i have caught fish holding eggs but they havent moved into the shallows yet or made nest.
im going to get my 8+pounder out of triangle lake or horton this year during spawning season. ive seen them in triangle lake pushing the state record. i got one over 8 so far. but im itching to get one over 10.

WHATS THE BIGGEST FISH YOUVE CAUGHT, AND HOWS THE SPAWN ACTIVITY IN THE PART OF OREGON YOU LIVE IN?

T
tomriker
it's 54 at my place too have been catching them in 4-5 feet of water but i havent seen anything up shallow yet hopefully it stays nice for the next week like the weatherman says and for next weekend it'll be on!

T
Texas Basser
What's the state record for LMB anyways?

brandon4455
brandon4455
Texas Basser said:
What's the state record for LMB anyways?

12 lbs and somthing can't remember down to the ounces. i believe (unofficially ) it's 12.75 lbs :D

Last edited:
T
Troutier Bassier
Unofficially its 12.8 by our very own, Colby Pearson.
The bass are out and prowling the shallows at my lake. Don't know the temp.

brandon4455
brandon4455
Troutier Bassier said:
Unofficially its 12.8 by our very own, Colby Pearson.
The bass are out and prowling the shallows at my lake. Don't know the temp.

read the news article it says 12.75 according to the measurments. its a damn nice looking fish too!

T
Troutier Bassier
Yeah..... I rounded it to the nearest tenth to make it easier to say.
stay in school kid.

T
tomriker
so brandon is that 12.75 pouds ? or 12p 7.5 oz?

K
Kevinb5688
I have seen 13+ lb fish in horton pond. Its by triangle lake and used to be a old log holding pond. It is beautiful, deep, has cut throut trout, small mouth, huge largmouth, even steelhead make it up a creek that runs into it. The pond is open to public. No gas motors allowed. It has many lilly pads, giant stump beds, and crystal clear water. Ive seen record bass crusing the stump beds. But there very smart fish. Best part is hArdly anyone fishes it. A 10 lb bass was caught 2008 on a fly rig. They have a picture in the local store. Type in "horton, OR" on google make you will see a pond it calls a log holding pond. Its 140 acres. Try it out.
And as far as my tourney goes im trying to get one going for OFF members, but the pond im having this one is private and i dont own it. Just a friend of a guy who has permison to fish it. Tons of 3-6 lb bass in it though. What you guys think of having one at horton? Tougher fishing but with smallies and largemouth + the chance at a huge fish it would be fun to have an OFF TOURNEYMENT there?

T
Texas Basser
I'm game for a tourney at either place. I've googled "Horton OR" and was not able to find the pond....

T
tomriker
hrm, im pretty sure Horton Mill Pond is only about 40 acres.. not 140 :)

S
skunk
This is cool, seems a lot more bass people are getting on the forum.

T
TTFishon
tomriker said:
hrm, im pretty sure Horton Mill Pond is only about 40 acres.. not 140 :)

Yeah, I don't think it's 140 acres either but it is a nice place to fish. Everytime I go there it's depressing to me though. In the last 23 years I've watched it go from a place that you could have all to yourself to a place that can be crowded at times.

My biggest was an 8lb 9 oz caught way back in 94.

K
Kevinb5688
The actual name if you want to google the pond is " hult log storage resivour". Its a good size place and i go there every few weeks and never seen a boat there. Sometimrs a few float tubers. Like i said no gas motors. Keeps a lot of people away. Either way theres nice bass and even crappie. And anyone can catch cut throat all day there.

T
Texas Basser
Kevinb5688 said:
The actual name if you want to google the pond is " hult log storage resivour". Its a good size place and i go there every few weeks and never seen a boat there. Sometimrs a few float tubers. Like i said no gas motors. Keeps a lot of people away. Either way theres nice bass and even crappie. And anyone can catch cut throat all day there.

Found it, thanks! How is shore shore access at Horton. I don't have a kayak or float tube so I'l have to stick to the bank...

K
Kevinb5688
Its great, theres a big metal dock to fish off. Lots of pick nic areas with good water access too

C
colbypearson
Got three bedfish so far 4.25, 4.5 and 3.5lbs but most lakes are still in the 40's and 50's, we found bedfish in shallow muddier water in ponds that get full sunlight, they warm much faster and hold heat better

T
TTFishon
Kevinb5688 said:

There's also a lot of decent bluegill and nice brown bullhead. I hope you didn't take my post the wrong way. I like Horton.....I'd still fish there if I lived a bit closer.

K
Kevinb5688
Fished a lake by my house i hit all the time today from 7-12. Had 3 guys in my boat, i got 7 fish from 3-4 lbs, and on of my friends caught one. The other guy got skunked. Lol, used the back of the boat excuse. Lol
All the fish we caught were on beds! Made it fun sight fishing. Crystal clear water 56'f. Found them on the side of the lake the wind blows twards in 4-8 foot of water between weed beds. Anywhere the bottom had some gravel or debree. By next week it should be full blown if the weather stays warm.