South Umpqua report

jamisonace
jamisonace
Great day with [MENTION=3610]eat, sleep, fish[/MENTION]

He'll have to post the photo since I didn't take any but I had a ton of fun and highly recommend him as a guide. I grew up in Roseburg, near the S. Umpqua but have never fished it for steelhead. I've always recommended that people hire a guide to learn new rivers and I'm glad I took my own advice today.

I got one out of three in the net with a few more missed hook sets. The entire time Steven (sp?) patiently taught me the technique of side drifting and was careful to get me acquainted with all the nuances of the river knowing I was there to learn it to go on my own.

Fun day. Looking forward to our next trip on the Rogue for Springers.

Thanks Steven.

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Good job I heard the S Umpqua is happening!

T
troutmasta
Sounds fun, let's see that fish.

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
:thumb: 12670562_906162499481850_6225321440754562960_n.jpg

jamisonace
jamisonace
Thanks for posting that for me Gary.

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Saw it on MugBook thought it might be you! Nice fish looks like he dodged a seal!

jamisonace
jamisonace
I don't know what got it but it was pierced really deep.

C_Run
C_Run
Nice one , Jamie.

troutdude
troutdude
Nice kill shot! :D :D :D

E
eugene1
Very nice!

B
BaldTexan
Sorry Jamie, I'm gonna hijack your thread and add on instead of starting a new one. I took the open seat with Steven on Sunday morning. I hadn't fished any rivers to the south so I was stoked to fish a new river. We were lucky and had nice sunny skies and the river wasn't too crowded for a weekend. Steven is a friendly, easy going, knowledgeable guide and very enjoyable to fish with. So far this winter I was a big fat 0 steelhead landed out of 8 hooked, all lost to breaking leaders. It's been one of those years. The first steelhead I hooked Sunday morning did exactly the same after about a 30 second tug of war. You just have to laugh and shake it off. The next fish made up for it with several aerial acrobatic thrashing headshakes and put on a good show....and didn't break the leader! First steelie of the season all the way to the net. Finally the curse is broken. Hooked into a nice chrome hen that also put up an excellent struggle and I got her into the net. She had an extra fin so back in she went after a photo. Had a great trip, experienced a new river and managed to get home in time for the 2nd half of the the game that I mostly napped through. Glad I went fishing instead. I will definitely go back and fish with Steven again for a first time visit to the Rogue. Here's a couple of mug shots and fish.
IMG_4762.jpg
IMG_4763.jpg

jamisonace
jamisonace
I'm glad you went with Steven and glad you found fish too. I've been looking forward to your report.

I really enjoyed learning the river and the side drifting technique.

Edit: I'll join you on the Rogue if you don't have someone with you.

B
BaldTexan
Yes sir. Throw a bobber on that and you'd be bobber doggin. I think that was my first time side drifting also. There are some nice long drifts. Pretty cool that outboards are allowed so you can motor back up for another drift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jamisonace
jamisonace
I've never bobber dogged either. I think I need to get out with Tanner to learn that technique.

BaldTexan said:
Yes sir. Throw a bobber on that and you'd be bobber doggin. I think that was my first time side drifting also. There are some nice long drifts. Pretty cool that outboards are allowed so you can motor back up for another drift.

B
BaldTexan
Good plan. That's who I learned it from. It's practically the same but with a bobber, a bit easier learning curve, plus it's always fun to see a bobber disappear!

E
eat, sleep, fish
I'd like to thank both of you guys for coming down this way and spending a day fishing with me. It's always nice to put a face to the people we talk with on here. Hopefully it will work out so that both of you can join me on the same day for some springer action. It won't be long before they're here!

B
BaldTexan
I'd definitely be down for that Steven. I always enjoy learning new to me rivers and I'm itching to get back into some chinooks already....AND it would great to fish with another forum member I haven't met. We'll need to work out a mutually good day and git'r done. :)

jamisonace
jamisonace
Looking forward to it guys!