South Santiam Drifts

D
DC1
What are some EASY PRODUCTIVE drifts for someone with very little experience

M
Mike123
There's really only two drifts to do...
Foster down to Pleasant or Pleasant to Waterloo..
Unless you have private access to launch's like me! :D

C
Commodore S
Drifts?

Drifts?

DC1 said:
What are some EASY PRODUCTIVE drifts for someone with very little experience[/QUOTE

There is a good drift from gills landing down to saunders bridge, If you can't pack your vessel out, you can obtain a key from Linn county. Good Luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
D
DC1
south santiam drifts

south santiam drifts

How long of drifts are they? Are there hidden hazards or forks to worry about ? I do have a key to saunders bridge I would back bounce eggs in the deep holes but what do you do while the boat is drifting? What are the pros and cons of these drifts Are the boat ramps crowded or hard to use ?

Last edited:
C
Commodore S
DC1 said:
How long of drifts are they? Are there hidden hazards or forks to worry about ? I do have a key to saunders bridge I would back bounce eggs in the deep holes but what do you do while the boat is drifting? What are the pros and cons of these drifts Are the boat ramps crowded or hard to use ?

Gills down is about 4 hours, 7 fished hard. No hazards or forks to worry about, might want to have a bobber & egg rod, I always drink BEER while the boat is drifting No, down there you will be on the river alone, which is a pro, taking the boat out w/ no fish would be a con. Remember 2 trout limit:dance:
Good Luck!!

S
steelhead1
sounds like you are still kinda new to this type of boating,maybe hold off on the alcohol for a trip or two:D.S fork is a relatively easy river, but there are still deadly hazards that any boater has to be on their toes for (strainers,sharp corners,strong eddies,ect).Are you in a drift boat?

D
DC1
steelhead1 said:
sounds like you are still kinda new to this type of boating,maybe hold off on the alcohol for a trip or two:D.S fork is a relatively easy river, but there are still deadly hazards that any boater has to be on their toes for (strainers,sharp corners,strong eddies,ect).Are you in a drift boat?
Yes I am new to drift boats and definatly not drinking til I feel more confident I have been on the lebanon to Saunders trip two times.. sorta scary but no real troubles. Iwant to do other stretches but wanted input on what I might be encountering first. How would you rate the drifts on difficulty ? [South Santiam]

M
Mike123
DC1 said:
Yes I am new to drift boats and definatly not drinking til I feel more confident I have been on the lebanon to Saunders trip two times.. sorta scary but no real troubles. Iwant to do other stretches but wanted input on what I might be encountering first. How would you rate the drifts on difficulty ? [South Santiam]

They are all fairly easy.. but there is a high class rapid there at the "S" corners near Sweet Home. Just above Bed and Breakfast. It's nothing hard, but your passengers will get wet. haha The river is high enough right now to make it pretty easy.

D
DC1
High class rapids?

High class rapids?

High class rapids! :shock: Now you are scaring me. How can someone practice without getting wet?:confused:

M
Mike123
DC1 said:
High class rapids! :shock: Now you are scaring me. How can someone practice without getting wet?:confused:

Well these rapids aren't really dangerous. All you have to do is make sure your boat is straight at them and your rowing backwards pretty good. Just splashes the passengers a bit. :lol:
Really.. if you can row a drift boat at all you wont have any trouble on the South Santiam.

D
DC1
Beginner Questions

Beginner Questions

:cool: OK so where exactly do I put in and where do I take out? Where is the first spot to fish ? Is it hard to get to the spots before other boats are already there? How long of a drift is it? Is it worth having a motor on the boat [ 8 hp ] I had it on with my other drifts but really didn't need it. Thanks for all the help.

S
steelhead1
I am not trying to be argumentitive,but telling a new boater that s santiam (any river for that matter) isn't dangerous is,well,dangerous.There will be hazards on any drift.I have a fair amount of experience with whitewater in canoes,kayaks,driftboats and snorkeling/diving.I think the most important bit of advice I gleaned was"ANY doubt,scout".Knowing your route ahead of time will make it safer.Another thing that is basic, is to point the bow (front)of your boat at the hazard you want to avoid,and backpaddle.If your heading torward an immovable object broadside (stumps,rocks ect.) and can't avoid a collision,instinctively you will lean away from the impact,a lot of the time this can cause the up river rail to dip into the water,which can swamp or even overturn yor boat.Use your head,wear your life jacket,stay sober,the south santiam is a great river to learn the mechanics of driftboating!Good luck!:D

D
DC1
Thanks

Thanks

Thankyou for your advice I appreciate it:clap:I will listen to anyone else that has advice also.;)

C
Commodore S
Jacks are here

Jacks are here

Drifted lower river thurs, cleaned up on the jacks Boat is still for sale, look in classified.