South Santiam drifts?

J
JeannaJigs
I plan on familiarizing myself with this river in the next couple of weeks, and was looking for information on places to float it in my boat. Finally gonna venture a little further north than the McKenzie for Springers this year, and hopin' to get a little steel action as well. I don't need to know about your top secret holes, just want to know where I can put in and take out, and not die in between. Thanks.

S
SantiamDrifter
Foster to Pleasnet Valley, decent drift length wise. Pleasent Valley to Waterloo, Its an all day deal. Waterloo to Lebanon Dam. I havent floated any lower then the Lebanon Dam, mostly becuase I hear its all frog water. And I dont fish the south that much so I couldnt tell you any secret spots that aren't aready known. Mainly becuase I love the fast moving currents of the north, the souths a little tame for me lol.

T
Teo
So when you say Pleasant Valley I assume you mean Pleasant Valley Rd. that crosses the river a little below Sweet Home. I haven't been there so I assume there's a boat ramp, yes? And how rough is the water from Foster to Pleasant Valley, and also from Pleasant Valley down to Waterloo. I'm using my 10 ft. pontoon which was fine on the Alsea, but I don't really want to go for a swim.

I scouted out the river by road from Waterloo on down to Lebanon Dam. The big problem is that there is no boat ramp that I could see, and no way of getting around the dam. There is a gravel ramp on the west side of the dam, but you can't get your trailer down there. It would be possibe in a pontoon because you could carry it up the road which I might try some day.

Any info appreciated.

Ken

S
SantiamDrifter
Well from Foster down to waterloo is pretty calm. Thats becuase the south santiam is a much flatter river then the north. Flatter being, from the head of the river at foster to the mouth, there isn't much elovation drop. Its also wider which spreads out the current making it slower. And the ground its carved out of is more farm fields and dirt then boulders cut from canyons. So the river as a whole is much calmer.

As far as the boat ramps, yes there is one just before the pleasent valley bridge, on the right hand side. And down at waterloo there is one above the falls and one below the falls.

M
Mike123
What am I... chopped liver?

J
JeannaJigs
Mike123 said:
What am I... chopped liver?

Lmao! No sir! I was just seein' what people had to say lol. I wasn't gonna go float it without your knowledge lol. SUNDAY.

C
Combat Chuck
Foster to Pleasant Valley is a what Ive been learning on. Its a good one, never had a scary moment. It would be helpful to have someone thats done it before but you wouldn't die without them.

K
Kodiak
You should try greens bridge to jefferson on the north fork. It's an easy float, about 4 hrs if you just bomb through it and it will take you to the confluences where some verry nice nooks have been taken out lately, and a nasty rumor of it being loaded with summer steelies is running around.

T
Teo
Is there a shuttle service near by?

S
Santiam338
So I was hoping to do this float in the morning provided I don't have to work..Went down several times in March on the low water...The level at Foster is 12.3 and I think dropping.. I don't have a baseline to go off of and was wondering after a high spell,what level would you consider drifting?...

I bought a drift boat last month,then found this site and have been lurking for a couple weeks now...Thought I might as well join up..

M
Mike123
You could drift it now. Just drive to the river and look at it. I personally catch more fish when the river is high. I don't think you'd be in any trouble floating the upper drift right now, other than hypothermia from the down pour and frickin wind! I've got one summer run so far.. there's a few around.

S
Santiam338
I seen your fish..I WANT ONE!!..LOL

Just before the blowout I had a nice summer right up to the boat when suddenly...You know how that goes..

:)

Been catching winters right along though...Trying out a pic.

IMG_0724.jpg

I guess what I want to know is after a blowout what is the level when guys start getting excited about fishing again...Every river has that level...I just don't happen to know what it is on the South...

S
SantiamDrifter
For me its not really level, more as water clearity. As soon as the water starts to drop and is running clear I'll try and get out.

M
Mike123
Everyone has their own opinion. Some of my buddy's like it low, some high... usually if the water is anywhere from 10.5 to 12 ft. at Foster the upper drift is good. The South Santiam is regulated very consistantly. Its usually either at a constant summer low flow or it's at a higer Spring flow.

I get excited about fishing when the water is 1ft visibility or more and there are fresh fish in the river! :D As long as the river near Foster is below 13ft I'm going fishing!

M
Mike123
I'd actually rather catch one of those pretty natives than a summer right now.. Beautiful fish!

S
Santiam338
Thanks,

That is kind of what I was looking for...12.1 at Foster this morning and clearing some.....I just might go see for myselff how it floats...Don't want to work to hard on the oars though...LOL

Those winter fish are good looking no doubt...We have been very careful with them only picking them up for a quick photo...The wife though wants some fish to eat...I keep telling her soon,but not sure she believes me anymore...

If you see a white drift boat this year give us a shout out..

IMG_0825.jpg

Last edited:
J
JeannaJigs
I too have a white boat with white oak trim, plan on being up there in 2 weeks. :) can't wait, can't wait.

C
Combat Chuck
Got it. Ram all white boats and push them out of my holes. Thanks!:D

J
JeannaJigs
Hey now! No need to hate on the white boats...lol

C
Combat Chuck
Its ok, if you saw my boat in person you wouldnt feel threatened... you might laugh. I get car-topper jokes about it. It measures 10'6" tip to tip :) I know 2 other people who regularly drift the river and they have white boats, so it just seems like a good philosophy.

Last edited: