South Lake

L
lilsalmon
Does anyone know anything about South Lake up by Hebo Lake? Camping? Fishing? Any information would be great......I read that the last several miles is a forest service road that is not maintained. Thanks

troutdude
troutdude
Maybe it's better marked now. But it was VERY hard to find my first time up there. You can likely get good directions, at the sporting goods shop in Hebo.

It is 5 acres, so 2.5 times as big as Hebo (Hebo is 2).

South is pretty muddy. And it is full of crawdads (which, therefore, make good bait). It has been stocked a few times. But, those stockings are always only 8 - 10 inchers.

South is also FULL of snags. So, you will lose a lot of gear.

It would not be my first choice, if you're looking for a new place to go.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Hmmm,might be worth a look-see just for collecting crawdads. I wonder if a person could set up a plastic swimming pool for keeping a bunch of crawdads? Maybe even raise them for the purpose of gas money...hmmmm

troutdude
troutdude
Farm raised crawdads...

Farm raised crawdads...

Raincatcher said:
Hmmm,might be worth a look-see just for collecting crawdads. I wonder if a person could set up a plastic swimming pool for keeping a bunch of crawdads? Maybe even raise them for the purpose of gas money...hmmmm

I gotta tip my hat, to your entrepreneurial aptitude!!! :D:D

You might be onto something, as they also make good table fare! :shock:

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
When I was a young 'un living in Hermiston we used to venture into the swamp and catch snapping turtles and crawdads. Believe it or not,the crawdads were the size of lobsters!! We took them to school for "show & tell" just to be sure they were crawdads and the teachers all said they were. The females had thousands of eggs tucked under their tails. Sure wish I'd thought of raising them back then...lol

L
lilsalmon
Dang......you guys picked up on my idea for asking....now I have to empty the wading pool...grrrrrr

JK......actually looking for a nice little pond or lake to camp at and fish........

troutdude
troutdude
Raincatcher said:
When I was a young 'un living in Hermiston we used to venture into the swamp and catch snapping turtles and crawdads. Believe it or not,the crawdads were the size of lobsters!! We took them to school for "show & tell" just to be sure they were crawdads and the teachers all said they were. The females had thousands of eggs tucked under their tails. Sure wish I'd thought of raising them back then...lol

HUH? Hermiston, swamp, and crawdads all together? I thought that Hermiston was all desert country.

<sorry for the temporary hijacking>...........

troutdude
troutdude
lilsalmon said:
Dang......you guys picked up on my idea for asking....now I have to empty the wading pool...grrrrrr

JK......actually looking for a nice little pond or lake to camp at and fish........

Ummm, who is JK?

BTW, there is a small lake on the backside of Mary's Peak that may interest you. As soon as my gray matter recalls it's name, I'll let you know.

S
slimyguts
A few years back I took the kids swimmin on the Nestucca (very high up.....not far from the damn) and was plucking them crawfish out from under rocks. Ended up with about 45-50 within 2 hours. Kids had a blast too. Put them in the kiddie pool and used a small air compressor to airate the water. Some were eaten (coons, cats....not sure), some just died, about half turned into bait (great for steel and salmon when they get past tide water and evey caught some bass outta hagg and the willie with them). I think if I did it again I would just use an old fish tank from Goodwill and a good air pump.