South jetty

J
JesseG
I have read through all the posts on fishing the jettys, but I would like to know where the best spot is? I have gone off the fingers with little to no luck. Someone said if you walk out level with the ocean and fish the bay side you should be good. Does that sound about right?

O
osmosis
sometimes at high tide you can get a fish or two by the fingers..
The other spot you mentioned there is a little "bowl" there and it can produce.
clam necks, mussels, sand shrimp, spinners, or jigs, ect. just about everything works out there. the berkley gulp sandshrimp work pretty dang well. Remember a heavy line and tight drag, you pretty much have to horse in everything you hook or they'll get in the rocks.

C
Coastalfisherman
Go out as far as safe and drift a small herring or chovey about 8 feet under a bobber. You will be suprised at the results

B
BlackBass
I fished the South jetty last weekend. The spot you are wanting to fish is from the red light to the very end of the jetty. We fished for 4 hours and caught 3 limits of lings, nothing big. I did see a guy fishing bobber and greenling he lost a very nice ling cod. I always use braided line fishing in saltwater/of the rocks. Fishing has been realy good for Ling cod lately, limits of 25-30 " fish the black bass are around just not in great numbers. Were managing limits, but have to fish hard for them. They will start to show up in good numbers any day now.Perch fishing has been good on flat days, look for them to start spawning from now through july. If you catch females make sure to squeeze out the baby fish so that they have a chance to live :)

M
Mike123
BlackBass said:
I fished the South jetty last weekend. The spot you are wanting to fish is from the red light to the very end of the jetty. We fished for 4 hours and caught 3 limits of lings, nothing big. I did see a guy fishing bobber and greenling he lost a very nice ling cod. I always use braided line fishing in saltwater/of the rocks. Fishing has been realy good for Ling cod lately, limits of 25-30 " fish the black bass are around just not in great numbers. Were managing limits, but have to fish hard for them. They will start to show up in good numbers any day now.Perch fishing has been good on flat days, look for them to start spawning from now through july. If you catch females make sure to squeeze out the baby fish so that they have a chance to live :)

Thanks for the REEPORT! :)

J
JesseG
Yeah, thanks for the report. Went out yesterday with no luck, sounds like I didn't go out far enough. I guess I will have to go out again and try farther out.

M
Mike123
Next time I head out I'm goin to go pump fresh shrimp and catch a few greenling and use them as bait. Those things are suckers for fresh shrimp. Though I have a hard time hooking them for some reason. :/

J
JesseG
Yeah, I always stop at the siletz on the way down to newport and pump shrimp. I got a few dozen in just under an hour the other day.

B
BlackBass
Mike use a size 1/0 gami hook use two of them tied with polomar knots 12" apart. Use a 1-2 oz lead below that. I like to fish just the shrimp tails, the fish just suck them right up start reeling and there hooked. Use the ten inch greenlings for bait by using 2 7-9/0 hooks tied fixed 8-10 inches apart lip hook with the top hook, and the bottom hook through the tail of the fish. Use 50 - 80 lb leaders and a 3 foot dropper from a 3 way swivel. I use 20" leader to hook.

N
nwkiller
hey BB, ive done what you said b4, are you hucking th greenling out far so it gets back to the rocks then wham or you just dip him down up against the rocks and let him do his thing? i want to try this at chester! thanks man

B
BlackBass
I use the greenling method just cast it out to the sand " twenty feet " and slow reel back to get it near the rocks. I use a bobber if the tide is right. If there is to much swell then i use the rig listed above. Let me know how it works out for you.

N
nwkiller
thanks

F
fishinshawn
I fished the south jetty for about 30mins this morning at slack tide. I didn't walk very far out, just about to the 3 big rocks that sit on top of the flat area. The seas kept building the entire time I was there and they started splashing up on the flat part so I left. 8oz of lead couldn't keep my shrimp still and kept getting flung into the rocks. No bites and the few people that left before I did did not have any fish either. It was my first time out there, are there any areas that fish better then others out there? Also I wondered if there were any fish on the inside of the triangle if that was worth fishing or not?

G
gloomis85
Its about impossible not to catch a fish inside the triangle out there. Ive caught all kinds of different fish out there on white jigs an sandshrimp.

C
CaptKirk
Anyone have any luck with a bobber rig out there?

C
CoastieFlo
In my experience, if you walk out farther than most people you catch a lot more fish :)

And yeah inside the Triangle there is some very good fishing, especially around the big culverts during a tide change.

You might want to try Pole Poking too, its pretty fun and you can get some nice fish (usually greenling or a perch)

O
o clarki
For a jetty newb, what's the "triangle"?

Thanks.

B
bythesea
o clarki said:
For a jetty newb, what's the "triangle"?

Thanks.

it's a large triangle formed by two southern jetties that's used for farming oysters. google (maps) winchester,bay and zoom in to mouth of the umpqua you can't miss it.

Last edited: