South Fork Alsea?

B
BeaverQB
Drove from Monroe to Alsea today scouting the South Fork (never been fishing out there but the Fishing in Oregon book says you can do it).

Anyone ever been out there to fish? Is it even worth it to try and lay some flies on the water, or should I just go down to Clemens and the North Fork? South Fork is way closer to where I live, but don't want to waste my time.

There's clearly some pathways down to the river in spots along the South Fork, and I doubt folks are just going down to the river to drink beer, so should I give it a shot, or go somewhere else?

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
you probably already checked this but just to be safe- S. Fork Alsea (and the rest of the Alsea system for that matter) opens May 23 under NW zone trout rules. Only Alsea Bay is open now...

B
BeaverQB
Yes, I'm aware of the dates its open, I didn't have any lines in the water today, just merely doing recon. Just trying to see if any one else on OFF has even tried the South Fork...

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
BeaverQB said:
Yes, I'm aware of the dates its open, I didn't have any lines in the water today, just merely doing recon. Just trying to see if any one else on OFF has even tried the South Fork...

:thumb:

bass
bass
I used to fly fish it when I lived in Corvallis some 15 years ago. There were some smolts and a pretty good population of cutthroats. I used a two fly rig with a stimulator on a dropper and a caddis pupae or larva imitation on the point. Of course, that info is 15 years old :)