Soth Ump...tired of these little effer's, need suggestions

J
jadleybray
Ok, my son and I have been hitting the South Umpqua from Rivers West RV park ( just north of Myrtle Creek) up to where I-5 crosses near MP 100. We've been able to catch smallies, but just the little effer's, getting irritating. By little I mean, 6" and under. Fun to catch and all, but looking to up the game so to speak. We primarily fish spinners, some spoons, and even threw some worms (zero success surprisingly). I'll take any suggestions for targeting some larger fish, smallies and trout. Lures, bait, technique, etc.

jamisonace
jamisonace
The biggest fish I've caught on the South have come off big black flies (stonefly patterns twitched on the bottom, not the way they're normally fished but it works) fished deep. I'd suggest going with some sort of dark crawdad or black spinner. Find deep dark water. You'll be cleaning your gear a lot you'll find bigger fish down there.

I'm heading down there from my parents place tonight with my boy. We are going to drop a crawdad trap and chuck spinners since I didn't bring my fly gear.

J
jadleybray
Thanks for the tips, wish I could meet ya out there but tonight is off limits ( damn anniversary). Lol. Report back with how the trip went out if ya don't mind.

E
eugene1
I have only caught small bass in that river. I know there must be bigger ones though!

Good luck on your search!

jamisonace
jamisonace
My son and I each caught decent sized bass tonight and missed a few and lost a couple really small ones. They all came on black and dark green spinners. I would have much preferred to fish with a fly rod. I just have a lot more control of a fly over a spinner. I like to fish large foam dry flies on the surface a bit like poppers or strip wooley buggers or like I mentioned above, a stonefly pattern with rubber legs. Next week I'll bring my fly rod and give that a try.

My boy really wanted to drop a crawdad trap and see what's in there tomorrow. We'll go check it at some point and see if he has dinner in there.

J
jadleybray
I'm betting you will indeed have dinner! We've been finding em all over in the open and turn in rocks with the kids exploring. Marked for allot of fun for the kiddos. Where about are you on the S Ump?

J
jadleybray
Been hitting the river several times since I started this thread. Several different areas of the river too, all within I-5 mp 101-108. With the limited time I have, usually after the kids get in bed at 8, I've been doing pretty good, catching a few each night. Even managed to get into some trout when the smallies **** em off!! :) Few days ago set the hook on a nice trout (atleast for what I've been into) 14" or so, managed to get her just to the bank, cute little shake of the head as I reached down to grab the line, and she swam away. Damn it. Adrenaline was pumping, cast right back out to the same spot, start the retrieve and bam, bam I set the hook like a steelie, bent the rod tip clean over to the reel, dam near snapped it in half. Biggest darn rock I've ever set a hook into!!! Literally laughed out loud to my self on that one. Anyhow, last night after a restocking trip to Cabela's, I ventured under the Myrtle Creek bridge. Threw several different spinners out, had a few hits, nothing hooked. Decided to head downstream a bit. If your traveling I-5, just north of Myrtle Creek, you can look down on the river, bunch of dirt roads/trails, very popular for the gold dredgers to camp there during the summer. Some decent water, slow deep pools in between riffles/small rapids. Casted out and nabbed a trout, looked small like the majority of em, but I actually measured it at 8.5" before sending her back in to grow up. Managed to catch 5-6 more, all bass, one fair sized at 10", and the rest were monsters. After the first dinger, figured I'd take a few pics of the little guys. Having lots of fun, but damn I could use a decent meal!!

• IMG_20130623_202934_128.jpg
  • IMG_20130623_205637_369.jpg
  • IMG_20130623_210009_058.jpg
  • IMG_20130623_205507_686.jpg
  • IMG_20130622_124616_817.jpg
J
jadleybray
Alright, changed up tactics tonight, took a better lookin fishing buddy!! Had a good time to say the least. Nabbed one trout, and three fair smallies in the 9" range. Fun afternoon with the kiddo ;)