Somewhat on topic....

OREGON FISHING FORUM

I grew up in San Diego, and one of my biggest passions at this time of the year was spearing California halibut while free diving ( no tanks)from shore. As you probably know a monster
CA halibut is 30 lbs are larger, with 40 lbs being a lotto winner. Well it been 15 years since then, but it's like rod and reel fishing, or riding a bike. My question is this, do the local Pacific Halibut ever move into shallow water, say 5 to 30ft like their southern cousins? The CA variety move into bays and estuaries that makes free diving very doable and productive. Anyone out there either rod and reel for them or dive for them inshore? What a gas to shoot a big old barn door!
There's youtube videos of Norwegian guys diving in 20 ft, and sticking 50 to 300 lb fish, unfortunately that's in Norway....

TheKnigit

To my knowledge the Pacific Halibut don't come in to the shallows in Oregon. However there is at least 1 bay that the California halibut enter when they migrate north for a short time. I never dove or spear fished for them, but I know several anglers who have pulled them up out of the Coos while trolling for salmon.

rogerdodger

Most Featured
To my knowledge the Pacific Halibut don't come in to the shallows in Oregon. However there is at least 1 bay that the California halibut enter when they migrate north for a short time. I never dove or spear fished for them, but I know several anglers who have pulled them up out of the Coos while trolling for salmon.
yep, catching a CaliButt this summer from one of my kayaks in Coos Bay is my biggest fishing goal this year!

CA halibut certainly do come into the shallows off of the OR coast. I have caught several. I am from Brookings and I used to take my drift boat off Sporthaven beach anywhere from 6'-20' of water and get a few every summer. I have caught them by slowly dragging anchovies with a Carolina-like rig (banana-shaped trolling sinker that has a bead-chain swivel on one end, then to a mooching rig) as well as on smaller rubber twin-tail (scampi) jigs in white or clear colors. Go get em!

TheKnigit

Thanks taconight2night! You might be the first person who I have heard successfully target them in Oregon. Everyone else has been an accident while they were salmon fishing.

kwikfisher, it sounds like you may be able to spear fish for your old friends the California halibut up hear as well. ODFW is a little vague on their migration patterns as far as I can see. I am not really even sure when to start fishing for them other than during the fall salmon season. If you are simply looking to get back into spearfishing/free diving then there is a lot of opportunity for that on the coast. I used to do a lot of it about 8-10 years ago in the Coos Bay area. The water clarity added an interesting challenge, but there are a lot of species you can chase with a spear. Waxers surf shop in Coos Bay was a great resource for me. They had a decent, albeit smaller, selection of gear and a couple of the employees spear fished as well.

Thanks for the feed back boys! I'm not sure I would go to great lengths to spear CA Halibut again, after shooting them for 30 years, but the 50# plus Pacific flatties, now you're talking! The water in San Diego was also clear and at 70° in the summer, a pleasure to float around in looking for those masters of disguise.

No problem glad to help! If I had to choose one way to catch them off of the OR, it would be waiting until July/Aug when the water is "warm". Use smaller 3"-5" white rubber jigs in about 8'-10' of water on a flat day. Cast them way out and bounce them across the sand/gavel back toward you. Spear fishing would be fun, too, but I saw about a 12' white shark years ago off of Brookings that keeps me dry lol. No joke

Top Bottom