Some tackle questions...

S
sunsalem
Since I am getting my tackle ready for the season, there are a few things I have been thinking about for awhile.
Any comments/advice would help...

How do you organize your spinners: by the color of the blades or the bodies or by size?

I want to get rid of the treble hooks (that typically come from the factory) and convert to singles...what is the easiest way to make the substitution (hooks are difficult cut through easily)?

Can I go to singles on crankbaits or would the action of the lure be compromised?

Almost all of the lure manufacturers have what seems to be a universal color code to distinguish one "color" from another, as in BKTR, PD, RB, GSP, LFR, and so on...
Does anyone know of a source where these "codes" (i.e., BKTR = Brook Trout, FRG = Frog, etc.) can be deciphered?

C_Run
C_Run
I do the same thing for spinners and spoons. Buy an assortment of sizes of siwash hooks for the different lures you might have. If I am not saving the trebles for other purposes, I just cut them off with side cutters and throw them out. If they are on a split ring, you can ease them out and save them. Then just squeeze the siwash hook onto the split ring or loop in the wire with needle nose pliers. I've got a big box with a lot of compartments to store mine in. As for those codes, never heard of it.

T
the_intimidator03
The codes I believe you can find on a catalog for order specifics. and there is no "standard" to them I believe. As for organizing lures, Type, Size, Color. and if you have to use sidecutters to remove the treble hook, you will need a split ring to add so you can add a siwash.

For the question regarding singles on a crankbait. it is possible that it will throw off the balance/action. I dont have a lot of experience in that so others would have to chime in.

S
sunsalem
I have had a hard time cutting through the trebles eyelets....guess my sidecutters are just dull.:think:

The reason I was asking about the "codes" is manufacturers are trying to mimic particular prey in order to fool predatory fish into striking their lures.
As fisherman, we know what our quarry typically feeds on (depending on the water, etc. in question).
It would save time and $$$ to know EXACTLY what the lure manufacturers are trying to imitate, rather than just buying something that looks "fishy."
It's hard to guess all of the assigned codes.

T
the_intimidator03
well i use my gerber multitool and snip the trebles. The only time ive seen codes are in order catalogs to specify the color pattern. they also have them on the packages or the barcodes in retail stores.

S
sunsalem
the_intimidator03 said:
well i use my gerber multitool and snip the trebles.
I gotta get myself one of those...

Do you snip the eyelet of the treble and remove it that way?
I don't really care about saving the hook itself.

T
the_intimidator03
yeah i snip the eyelet of the hook itself

O
orkfest
swishaw hooks are the best, make them barbless if you are worried about the fish. I have had no problems with lost fish using #4 and 5 mepps w/ swishaw hooks. Easist replacement as well.

O
orkfest
The guide I had on the Keni used single swishaw (middle hook, not tail) and it worked just fine. Landed my 32# king just peachy. This was on wiggle warts and magnum warts..no problem with the action there.

Top Bottom