Some cat pics from 08

C

Crappie Chaser

These are some Brownlee cats from last year.1st attempt at posting pictures here so bear with me

C

Crappie Chaser

some more shots. The little redhead kid really caught the cats that day. The two 5lb class cats were both hooked up at the same time. That happens pretty often when the school comes by.

C

Crappie Chaser

That fish in the middle was 12lb. Caught by a 15yr old boy.

W

Webwader

Those are nice cats, Crappie Chaser. Looks like you've got the picture posting figured out.

Raincatcher

Raincatcher

Less than 50 feet from the Santiam River! :)
Fat cats

Fat cats

Those are some impressive looking cats! My neighbors go over to the coast to Tahkenich (sp) by Florence so the wife can catch catfish. She says their nice and fat, but I don't know if they are as big as these. How do you cook them? I once heard that they carry a tinge of a mud taste. Is that true?
Barb

H

Hawk

Beautiful Pics Bro.............................:D:D:D:D.....................:clap::clap::clap::clap:

I use to catch lots of Channel Cat in CA Delta, sac river, Aquaduct, delta/mendota concrete canal lustrums ago.............................................:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:
F

fourgotten

Mmmmm... them's some nice cats!!!!! Too bad the Snake's so far from home for me.. :(

Oh well... there's always Bond Butte Pond... they aren't QUITE that big, but you can catch 5-pounders there... last year some woman caught an 8-pounder... can't wait 'till we see some warmer weather here to get 'em movin'!!!

C

Crappie Chaser

Those are some impressive looking cats! My neighbors go over to the coast to Tahkenich (sp) by Florence so the wife can catch catfish. She says their nice and fat, but I don't know if they are as big as these. How do you cook them? I once heard that they carry a tinge of a mud taste. Is that true?
Barb

The cats here are pretty active , using the whole water column so they stay pretty lean & in good shape. The trick to good eating is in the handling of the fish. I bleed them and put them on ice. I fillet them then trim the red meat from the middle of the fillet, the fat glossy meat on the outside of the fish and some of the yellow on the edge of the fillet. I wind up with 2 strips per fillet (4 per fish) of clean white meat. This usually is all that is needed but sometimes for a change I will soak them in mustard water for awhile before cooking. I like em fried, either pan or deep. I like a light coating and use Zatarain's Fish Fry. Put the dry fillets in the Zatarain's, shake and release in hot oil.
I have some more impressive pictures but the fish are hanging on a board with my business name & phone # and I wasn't sure if it was ok to post that. If it is let me know and I will put them up.

Raincatcher

Raincatcher

Less than 50 feet from the Santiam River! :)
Great pictures

Great pictures

Crappie Chaser;
I've never tried going after catfish. I'm not familiar with any part of the technique or anything else. Is there a limit on them? You guys all look like you were pretty busy. What do you use for bait? Best time of day to go after them? Thanks for the pictures, I bet you stir up some interest in catfish. There are supposedly catfish just about everywhere there's water. Feel like sharing the name of your favorite place to find them? No problem if you don't. Do you fish trout or koke? Keep the posts coming. Be safe.
Barb

C

Crappie Chaser

Crappie Chaser;
I've never tried going after catfish. I'm not familiar with any part of the technique or anything else. Is there a limit on them? You guys all look like you were pretty busy. What do you use for bait? Best time of day to go after them? Thanks for the pictures, I bet you stir up some interest in catfish. There are supposedly catfish just about everywhere there's water. Feel like sharing the name of your favorite place to find them? No problem if you don't. Do you fish trout or koke? Keep the posts coming. Be safe.
Barb

All these cats are from the Powder River Arm of the Brownlee Resv. pool on the Snake River. There is currently no limit on them. I use cutbait. I do some bobber fishing but mostly bottom fish. I catch these all through the day. We catch some trout but no kokes in the resv.

W

Webwader

Raincatcher, it sounds like you need to head to eastern Oregon this summer and make a trip with Crappie Chaser. Cats are great fighters and a lot of fun to catch. You could chase a few crappie with him too. :lol:

C

Crappie Chaser

Raincatcher, did you buy some raffle tickets for the fishing trips? Win that and we will do a combo where we start on cats then switch to crappie. A lot of days we wind up with 5 different species in the box.

W

Webwader

Brownlee is a little short on species. :lol: They only have smallmouth bass, largemouth bass, white crappie, black crappie, channel catfish, yellow perch, bluegill, pumpkinseed, rainbow trout, carp, & northern pike minnow. Did I miss any CC?

C

Crappie Chaser

Let's see, blue cat,flathead, a couple different bullheads, sturgeon, suckers, even caught a warmouth once. I'm probably missing a few also

W

Webwader

Let's see, blue cat,flathead, a couple different bullheads, sturgeon, suckers, even caught a warmouth once. I'm probably missing a few also
I forgot about the warmouth you caught. They are pretty rare anywhere in Oregon. I haven't caught any of the ones you mentioned, but then I have never fished for them. I don't normally even fish for cats but they sure are a kick when you get a big one on a crappie rod. My personal best is 7 lb 4 oz. That poor little Fire-Fly jig never knew what hit it.

F

Fishtopher

I have never hooked any Flatheads there! Or anywhere for that matter:lol:...do they get any bigger than the Channel's?

W

wrestlerstud32

Mmmmm... them's some nice cats!!!!! Too bad the Snake's so far from home for me.. :(

Oh well... there's always Bond Butte Pond... they aren't QUITE that big, but you can catch 5-pounders there... last year some woman caught an 8-pounder... can't wait 'till we see some warmer weather here to get 'em movin'!!!

where is bond butte pond located?i live in the portland area. any info on where to catch catfish would be great. no more than an hour away though.