some bass fishing info for ya

F
fishndad
here is a little info for ya! i found it a long time ago and it does work to some effect! but only part of it.......i didn't like they were trying to sell stuff but i liked the info that led upto it!

“So What The Heck Are You Talking About, What’s The Big Secret?”
Ok, I’ll save you from any more hype, and I’ll get to the point.
The “scientific secret” nature is hiding from fishermen has two parts to it. They are
called “Phytoplankton” and “Zooplankton”. Now, don’t let the fancy names scare you –
it will all make perfect sense in a second – I promise. Let me start off by telling you
exactly what “Phytoplankton” and “Zooplankton” are, and then I’ll tell you how you can
“use” them to pull up massive amounts of fish faster than you can image. Put it this way,
the only thing better would be to have the Bass jump right in the boat!
What Is Phytoplankton – And Why It Is Crucial To Finding Fishing “Super Spots”?
Phytoplankton is at the absolute bottom of the food chain. Basically they are the “plant
form” of Plankton. Phytoplankton is made up of “diatoms”, golden algae, green algae,
and “cyanobacteria”. But none of those scientific words mean anything to you – all you
need to know is – without Phytoplankton, there would be a fish on the planet - anywhere.
The “Zooplankton Animal” – What It Is, What It Does, And Why It’s A
Fisherman’s Best Friend
Zooplankton is the “animal form” of Plankton. They feed on the “Phytoplankton” and
basically follow it around everywhere. They are found at various depths in every body of
water. (lakes, ponds, oceans, rivers, you name it) They are like “candy” to bait fish like
minnows, shad, smelt, and any other small fish in your area. In fact, they are the main
source of food for these smaller fish. There are a bunch more “scientific names” that
make up Zooplankton, but I won’t bore you with those details here. The bottom line is,
where there is a lot of Zooplankton, there are a lot of fish – swarms of fish! You’ll see
why and how in a second…
How These Base “Blocks” Of Nature’s Food Chain Can Easily Put You In The Best
Position To Catch Loads Of Bass Anytime You Want To
The first 2 “links” in the food chain are the Phytoplankton and the Zooplankton…
As I mentioned, it all starts with the Phytoplankton at the very bottom of the food chain
(the little microscopic green algae, and other stuff). They are the only source of food for
Zooplankton, which feed on them constantly. In fact, wherever the Phytoplankton go, the
Zooplankton follow. (and the “Phytos” are absolutely everywhere!)
It gets really good for any fisherman when you find a massive “plankton cloud” (also
known as a “patch”) filled with millions upon millions of these tasty organisms.
Next, bring on the bait fish! (like minnows, shad, and anything else in your area) The 3rd
step in our food chain are the small fish which happen to be the main source of food for
Bass and other game fish! I’m talking about minnows, shad, smelt, and any other smaller
fish in your area.
These little guys don’t just casually cruise into one of these huge plankton clouds…they
attack relentlessly in a swarm – a literal feeding frenzy! Imagine you and about a dozen
of your buddies in a room with $100 bills falling from the ceiling…well, that’s exactly
what the Zooplankton are to these fish – and the small fish go absolutely crazy!
Now, if this food chain were to stop at this stage, you’d probably still be pretty happy.
You see, when you know how to find these massive clouds of plankton, the surface of the
water will be thick with swarms of bait fish – and you can dip in your bait net to get as
many as you want for FREE.
But this all gets much better for you, because there are actually two more levels to this
food chain of feeding. They are the Bass, and YOU!
You can imagine the sound generated by the massive amounts of feeding activity…
It almost sounds like a bunch of kids splashing in the water – and it generates strong
vibrations throughout the spot. And these vibrations scream out “dinner time!” to the
Bass. You can probably guess what happens next…
The Bass “hone in” on these vibrations because they know that there is a helluva lot of
food going nuts, all in one spot. They move in and hang out on the outskirts of all of this
activity, feeding on the small bait fish one by one…
…and that’s where you come in as the fifth and final link in nature’s food chain. (of
course I encourage you to practice good “catch and release”, especially for any trophy
fish you catch) But if you were to keep and eat the fish you catch, that would make you
the fifth link on the food chain.
When it gets to this point, you are in for the fishing experience of your life – I don’t care
how long you’ve been fishing. Bass feed from underneath, so what you’ll do is bait up
and drop your line in off the perimeter of the feeding, or right underneath.
You want your bait to be a little separate from the swarms of bait fish. You do this right,
and you’ll have the biggest string of Bass in your entire life – faster than you’ve ever
caught ‘em before.
To help you see the big picture – here is mother nature’s sacred food chain:
Obviously, the “key” to all of this is knowing how to find the first levels of the food
chain. The “Phyto” and the “Zooplankton”.
“Ok, This Is All Great, But How The Heck Do I Find These Zooplankton Rich
Fishing Hot Spots?”
…and that, my friend, is the question that – when answered – will plunge you into a new
world of fishing success that will blow your fishing buddies away. (And I wouldn’t
recommend sharing this with everyone… only your closest friends – after all, it’s fun to
keep your fishing success a “mystery” to the other guys…)
Ok, so how to we find all this Plankton and hit it big in the fishing hot zones?
Biologists who study life in the water use advanced equipment to locate patches of
Zooplankton, including a special type of sonar… but since most fishermen don’t have
this state-of-the-art equipment, you’ll be using some other special techniques to find
these massive patches of Plankton (and the swarms of fish that will be feeding on them).
There are basically 2 things you’ll be looking for. The first thing is called “Chlorophyll”
which is the base that indicates large patches of “Phyto” and Zooplankton. Chlorophyll
and “Phytoplankton” go hand-in-hand – you’ll never find one without the other. Don’t
let the “scientific” word fool you… “Chlorophyll” can be easy to find when you know
where to look.
Chlorophyll is attracted to sunlight and will gather in huge patches near the surface –
usually in places with direct sunlight. When you find one of these patches, you’ll know.
The Chlorophyll is a dark green color – and when you have enough Chlorophyll in one
area the water will appear dark green or even black. We’ll call this “stained” water from
now on.
So, be on the lookout for “stained” water during the daylight fishing hours. “Fishing by
the stain” is so incredible that if you are in a body of water where you can find these
stains easily – it doesn’t make sense to ever fish in a spot where the isn’t a stain.
The “Landmark” Of Amazing Fishing Hotspots
Here is another way to find the Chlorophyll, Phyto, and Zooplankton…The “landmark” I
am talking about is green algae – and anytime you find some, grab your rod and get
ready for a wild ride!
Even if you don’t see a water stain on the surface around the green algae, you can be sure
there is a large cluster of Phytoplankton, Zooplankton, bait fish, and Bass right in that
spot. Hunt for algae close to the shore or any other underwater structure, and don’t
hesitate to hit the fish hard without hesitation when you find it…
Another clue that there is a large bloom of Zooplankton under the surface is if you see
lush vegetation on the shore where there is some water run off. The water going into
your body of water will bring Plankton into the water with it (from the vegetation) and
create a large patch of Plankton – sometimes much larger than normal. These are prime
areas for catching a huge amount of Bass fast.
The Second Thing To Look Out For, “Dancing Snowflakes”
I know many fishermen who use underwater cameras to locate Zooplankton – but you
can also see this happening from the surface. This powerful fishing phenomenon only
occurs in severe hotspots – and it’s much more rare than finding the stained water I talked
about earlier.
Using an underwater camera (or looking in from the top of the water in well lighted
conditions) you will see millions of Zooplankton which looking like “dancing
snowflakes”. They are clearish-white in appearance – and when they are there, you can’t
miss them.
When you find them, be surprised if there aren’t already hundreds of minnows and other
bait fish sucking them up like they are going out of style… if there isn’t yet a swarm of
feeding fish, there soon will be. Bait up and get that line in the water, because they’ll be
there fast.
Finding the “Dancing Snowflake” phenomenon is much more unpredictable than finding
the “stained” water. It can occur in open water (which is why Bass sometimes prefer the
open waters), and it can also occur near structure. It’s hard to go out hunting for it,
because it can happen anywhere. Always be on the lookout for it though as you search
for the stained water.
Now, Imagine If There Was A Way To “Create” Patches Of Zooplankton Nearly 10
Times The Size You’d Find Naturally – In Almost ANY Fishing Spot?
You have enough information about Zooplankton to go out and find it for yourself, and
pull up more Bass than ever before.

F
fishndad
and they said to use live bait???????? but this is for other states as well, oregon does not allow this! please do not use live bait! thanks

T
Thuggin4Life
Yup no live bait but if you happen to catch a small bluegill and while reeling it in another fish decides to eat it there isn't much you can do about it.

F
fishndad
true but if the fish and game see's it it wont matter! they frown upon live bait just as much as any of us do!

N
new boater
fishndad said:
true but if the fish and game see's it it wont matter! they frown upon live bait just as much as any of us do!

I have lived in a few states most have allowed live bait.
I have not used live bait here in Oregon because of the law if they allowed it I would probably use it on occasion.
Would you use live bait if it were legal or is there another reason why you would not use live bait.
just curious

T
Thuggin4Life
Is the no live bait law set up to help protect bodies of water from events such as the ones plagueing Diamond Lake or is it just to make fishing a little more fair to the fish?

1bigfish
Thuggin4Life, Yes you are correct the no live bait law was set up to keep live bait(usually non native fish) from being dumped into rivers and lakes.

new boater, If it was allowed I would use it for some fish but not for others. For example, I would use live bait for walleye fishing becuase I plan on keeping and eating the fish. I would not use it for bass because I plan on releasing all my bass. As a kid I spent every summer fish in northern Wisconsin at my grandfathers cabin. Live bait is allowed there so I used it. Even as a kid I could see the differance in how deep a fish would take a hook if you compaired live bait to artifical. I learned quickly that if I didn't want to have to clean fish that day I needed to stay away from live bait.

F
fishndad
new boater said:
I have lived in a few states most have allowed live bait.
I have not used live bait here in Oregon because of the law if they allowed it I would probably use it on occasion.
Would you use live bait if it were legal or is there another reason why you would not use live bait.
just curious

i dont use it because i feel i would rather not take more fish lifes then needed! lol i prefer artificial baits. i also think that the laws enforcing this rule are great