Soaking wet; but still had fun today!

troutdude
troutdude
Decided a week ago, to take today OFF from work. Even though a storm was coming in the from the west....Me and my favorite ultralight, decided to hop aboard the puddle jumper express this morning.

Our sights were set, on a lake that I have heard stories about for some time. Last year, this secret little spot consistently spit out 'bow and cutts, in the 16 - 22" range. Even heard a tale of a 4 lb. cutt!

After a pit stop for my favorite Creme de Menthe latte, we wound our way up to the lake. Had some kind of jerk bait tailgating me in a white Toyota sedan, on a slick and winding road. So, I let him pass. We arrived at said lake about 8:30.

We meandered along the lake until we found a point, and decided to make our stand. So, I loaded up my little wrist rocket (and old school 5' S-Glass Hollow Fiberglass Lamiglass ultralight), with a bobber and Power Eggs. My second rod was armed with a slip sinker, and a different color of Power Eggs.

Got one bump on the bobber rig. Nothing OFF the bottom. Noticed other fisher peeps doing well, using Kastmaster's and such. So, I switched up my batting pattern. Went with my "go to" wobbler; a brass Little Cleo. BAM! Fish on! It was dinky smallie.

Then again...BAM! Fish on! Another dink. This went on for about 2 hours, with an occasional dinky bucketmouth and one or two dinky cutts as well. They were major little scrappers one and all. And each one felt like Moby; as I played them out on my favorite little wrist rocket. Must've C & R'd 30 fish in that time.

BTW, the knothead that was tailgating me was in a big hurry to get a fishing spot. Then, he squeezed in on my spot and darn near crossed my line more than once. But, I had the last laugh. Cuz as soon as he moved out...I casted over to his spot...and you guessed it...BAM! Fish on! HA HA HA!!! :clap::lol:

SIDEBAR: We also tried some of the new Rooster Tails, sent to me to Beta test. They have been specially designed by the maker (Yakima Bait Company), to spin in slack water...without having the tug the lure for blade rotation. Got a couple of fish with 'em. So, they work okay. But, I also clearly noticed that the blades still do not perform correctly. However, I'm holding out final judgment until further beta testing is done.

Got my fill of that first pocket; so we slipped in by the boat ramp when others vacated and made a notch. I saw them do well, from my original vantage point. Even heard some major "whoops", like they had maybe gotten a biggie (not bigsteel...LOL). Got one or two bumps, but nothing serious.

Packed up, and headed to a spot where a small creek runs in. Settled into one side of the flow after navigating some logs on foot. BAM! A nice little cutt in the 6 - 7" range. Pretty little fish. A couple more bumps, and fish on for a few seconds. But, they dropped the hook.

Wound up fishing one side of the bridge. Got several more good strikes, and a few times had fish on for a few fleeting seconds. But, they too got away.

All in all a very fun day...even thought it was rainy. And can you believe 60 degrees in NOVEMBER?! :cool::cool:

P.S. Sorry, no pics. Didn't want to get my phone wet.

T
Throbbit _Shane
sounds like fun! great weather today. i should of went fishing

brandon4455
brandon4455
nice job man sounds like you had fun those little cutts put up a big fight for their size dont they?. sadly i didn't have the gas to make it up but i will within the next week. talk to you soon,

brandon

C
ChezJfrey
Great write up, but seriously, Creme de Menthe latte? Eew, that's disgusting! ;)

T
TTFishon
Looks like you had a great day on the water. Thanks for sharing.

T
Thuggin4Life
Much better than a day at work. Nice report.

brandon4455
brandon4455
troutdude said:
Decided a week ago, to take today OFF from work. Even though a storm was coming in the from the west....Me and my favorite ultralight, decided to hop aboard the puddle jumper express this morning.

Our sights were set, on a lake that I have heard stories about for some time. Last year, this secret little spot consistently spit out 'bow and cutts, in the 16 - 22" range. Even heard a tale of a 4 lb. cutt!

After a pit stop for my favorite Creme de Menthe latte, we wound our way up to the lake. Had some kind of jerk bait tailgating me in a white Toyota sedan, on a slick and winding road. So, I let him pass. We arrived at said lake about 8:30.

We meandered along the lake until we found a point, and decided to make our stand. So, I loaded up my little wrist rocket (and old school 5' S-Glass Hollow Fiberglass Lamiglass ultralight), with a bobber and Power Eggs. My second rod was armed with a slip sinker, and a different color of Power Eggs.

Got one bump on the bobber rig. Nothing OFF the bottom. Noticed other fisher peeps doing well, using Kastmaster's and such. So, I switched up my batting pattern. Went with my "go to" wobbler; a brass Little Cleo. BAM! Fish on! It was dinky smallie.

Then again...BAM! Fish on! Another dink. This went on for about 2 hours, with an occasional dinky bucketmouth and one or two dinky cutts as well. They were major little scrappers one and all. And each one felt like Moby; as I played them out on my favorite little wrist rocket. Must've C & R'd 30 fish in that time.

BTW, the knothead that was tailgating me was in a big hurry to get a fishing spot. Then, he squeezed in on my spot and darn near crossed my line more than once. But, I had the last laugh. Cuz as soon as he moved out...I casted over to his spot...and you guessed it...BAM! Fish on! HA HA HA!!! :clap::lol:

SIDEBAR: We also tried some of the new Rooster Tails, sent to me to Beta test. They have been specially designed by the maker (Yakima Bait Company), to spin in slack water...without having the tug the lure for blade rotation. Got a couple of fish with 'em. So, they work okay. But, I also clearly noticed that the blades still do not perform correctly. However, I'm holding out final judgment until further beta testing is done.

Got my fill of that first pocket; so we slipped in by the boat ramp when others vacated and made a notch. I saw them do well, from my original vantage point. Even heard some major "whoops", like they had maybe gotten a biggie (not bigsteel...LOL). Got one or two bumps, but nothing serious.

Packed up, and headed to a spot where a small creek runs in. Settled into one side of the flow after navigating some logs on foot. BAM! A nice little cutt in the 6 - 7" range. Pretty little fish. A couple more bumps, and fish on for a few seconds. But, they dropped the hook.

Wound up fishing one side of the bridge. Got several more good strikes, and a few times had fish on for a few fleeting seconds. But, they too got away.

All in all a very fun day...even thought it was rainy. And can you believe 60 degrees in NOVEMBER?! :cool::cool:

P.S. Sorry, no pics. Didn't want to get my phone wet.

but truth be told jay, there are monster cutthroat in that lake. i have held and laid eyes on them. they were just hiding today. i'm sure you will get em next time ;)

L
lilsalmon
Nice report TD....I was hoping on going there tomorrow after my one class I have but it will have to wait.......glad you finally got out and yeah....next time try a Rockstar...hehe

troutdude
troutdude
Thanks everyone. And yes, I LOVE Creme de Menthe Latte's...leaves you w/ a minty aftertaste (and are really good if you forget to brush your teeth...LOL).

I forgot to mention two things.

There were about 4 or 5 boats on the water (sorry, didn't see Frank Zappa or any "Smoke on the Water" LOL). A couple of the boaters had 'bows up to 14 or 15".

And there was a game warden on patrol. He was checking both fisher peeps and hunters. As I was vamoosing, he appeared to be issuing a ticket to a boater. I'm glad that he was out there, and enforcing the laws.

One more thing. Other than "Mr. Tailgater"; everyone was else up there were very friendly (hunters and fishers).

brandon4455
brandon4455
troutdude said:
Thanks everyone. And yes, I LOVE Creme de Menthe Latte's...leaves you w/ a minty aftertaste (and are really good if you forget to brush your teeth...LOL).

I forgot to mention two things.

There were about 4 or 5 boats on the water (sorry, didn't see Frank Zappa or any "Smoke on the Water" LOL). A couple of the boaters had 'bows up to 14 or 15".

And there was a game warden on patrol. He was checking both fisher peeps and hunters. As I was vamoosing, he appeared to be issuing a ticket to a boater. I'm glad that he was out there, and enforcing the laws.

One more thing. Other than "Mr. Tailgater"; everyone was else up there were very friendly (hunters and fishers).
4 or 5 boats? jeez that sounds packed ive only see like 1 boat at a tome out there :/ not much of a hidden gem anymore