So who also keeps fish as pets?

M

Modest_Man

I started fishing at a young age, and then progressed to wanting to keep fish inside my home as well. I've been keeping fish (mostly Central American cichlids) for over a decade now and have had some large tanks (220 gallons) up for a while. Right now I'm living in an apartment and have just two tanks, one 65 gallon and one 29 gallon.

I know I can't be the only person who likes fish so much that they keep them as pets...

Here's my F1 male Amphilophus citrinellus trying to attack me through the glass.
5351262788_aeb0e5e167_b.jpg

And rearranging the tank (he likes to build up the rocks against the front of the glass 8-10" high).
5350669147_2f30232d69_b.jpg

We don't own a TV and this guy is right across from the couch in prime viewing.

T

TTFishon

That's a cool looking fish. If I had the room I'd have a tank and my wife would never let me get rid of the TV. lol

M

Modest_Man

Not very hard when he jumps out of the water to get fed right into my hand!

B

Bad Tuna

I used to breed and sell African Cichlids, great rift lake fish. Now I only have one tank of Neons and guppies to keep my 3 year old entertained since I didn't want to step up to saltwater for "Nemo and dory".

R

rippin fish lips

Not very hard when he jumps out of the water to get fed right into my hand!

i have the same fish! a female, thats about 13 years old now. She likes to jump out of our tank to! and same with the rocks piled up 8-10 inches on the glass. Very interesting fish to watch if your bored.

M

Modest_Man

Thirteen years is a pretty good time to own a fish. I've seen a couple that were 25 years old but that's very rare. The longest I've managed to hold onto some fish were 4 years, but then I had to move again. Fish and moving don't go well together.

O

OnTheFly

I've got a fifty five gallon but I need more fish. (that's odd..the last four words I just said I usually say at the river:think:) Anyhoot here's a story for ya. Years ago I drove from California to Oregon with a 1/3rd full 10 gallon tank with a few angel fish and others in the back of a Toyota truck and they All lived! 880 miles, 15 hours later I had the tank set back up.

R

rippin fish lips

Thirteen years is a pretty good time to own a fish. I've seen a couple that were 25 years old but that's very rare. The longest I've managed to hold onto some fish were 4 years, but then I had to move again. Fish and moving don't go well together.

yeah, she's a big one! like 17 inches long, like 5 inches girth to.

M

mrlindeman

Buddy of mine had a crappie and a bluegill. He came home one day end the bluegills tail was sticking out of the crappies mouth.

G

GDBrown

We had a ten gallon tank for years with Angels and zebras, etc. Then my son figured out that he could use it for crawdads, newts, and anything else he could get home from the creek. We ended up with a tank full of baby blue gill until the cat fell in! His mom put a stop to that menagerie real soon after that. Luckily he out grew the need for wild things in the house before the snake came home. It went to his friends house and the kid got grounded for a month when his mother found out. I think it may be time to give my grandson a fish tank for his birthday and see what happens! He'll be five that's old enough to be responsible for a pet , Right?

GD

Last edited:
M

Modest_Man

We had a ten gallon tank for years with Angels and zebras, etc. Then my son figured out that he could use it for crawdads, newts, and anything else he could get home from the creek. We ended up with a tank full of baby blue gill until the cat fell in! His mom put a stop to that menagerie real soon after that. Luckily he out grew the need for wild things in the house before the snake came home. It went to his friends house and the kid got grounded for a month when his mother found out. I think it may be time to give my grandson a fish tank for his birthday and see what happens! He'll be five that's old enough to be responsible for a pet , Right?

GD

Get them started young!

S

SALTYFISH

I just set up my new tank it in the cycle stage 90 gal overflow custom built stand an canopy. i used to do salt water but when u have 3 g's in a 30 gal tank its time to stop. so now im goin back to fresh. haven't decided what i want to do with it yet. anyhow i will post pics tomorrow.

A

Amberjack

Used to have a 65 gal. Had cichlids for a while, beautiful fish, but they like to "landscape" and are very territorial. Later ended up with a small Oscar, named Spot. Well spot grew and grew, he loved feeder goldfish, very cool to watch him inhale them.

F

fishtales

Bought this for my wife years ago before we married. Was not too expensive. Last fish was a Batta. Had all the conforts of home but died because we used the big round rocks on the bottom and it could never get to the food. Next fish is going to get the propper rocks.

Attachments

• tn.jpg
    tn.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 31
J

JeannaJigs

My record of keeping a fish is 3 days. Doesn't help when you buy a betta off the clearance rack though....

I'll stick to hunting for them in the rivers.

Top Bottom