So my....

R

rippin fish lips

so my 2 year old 3/4 black lab and a 1/4 rawt... decided he wanted to give a kid an early christmas present they day before christmas eve... what was the present? A trip to the hospital for 3 stitches for the kid =/ :naughty::(:confused::mad:

I was walking my dog from the store back to my house, it was dark... there were 3 kids walking by to go to there house, which i knew one of them... I thought my dog was gunna mind his own buisiness and just walk right on by them with no trouble... well i was wrong!!! (he was on a leash, and the leash was in my hand) well me and my friend were walking by the 3 kids, and at the last second my dog starts trotting towards the kid... looked like my dog just wanted to say hi and get some loving from them, but it all happened so quick and it was to late! dog trots up to the kid like he wasn't gunan do anything, but as soon as he gets to the kid he snaps at the kid! Bit him in the side, saw the picture of the bite and it didn't look so good...

Well got home, told my parents about it, then the kid and his parents show up :eek: they were a lil angry of course, but once we talked to them and they noticed that we are good dog owners and our dog was up to date with his shots and everything they calmed down as we said we would pay for all medical expenses they get (bcuz they didn't have health insurance)

Well now my dog is (grounded) for ten days, can't go anywhere off out property otherwise he gets put down if he's out and we were to get caught. It's all understandable why he can't go anywhere for 10 days.

Sucks because now, this cute.... not so little... pup is listed as a dangerous dog now=/
He's not agressive or anything, just a very protective dog over its owners, like literally! It was weird cuz he has never bit someone before! In his eyes (he's the owner of this block and neighborhood) He's got one more chance, if he bites another person we gotta put him down =/

BUT! it's not gunna happen cuz we now have a muzzle for my dog for whenever we take him out, and we are now aware of how agressive this cute dog can be! i dont want to call him agressive because he's not, so dont get me wrong!! He's just so highh strung!!!!

All in all, the kid is fine, no tickets, no one going to jail thank god :)

Just a reminder to be prepared for anything to come out of a dog!! or any pet that is!

C

capblack

looks like the dog in your avatar has a little pit in him?

R

rippin fish lips

looks like the dog in your avatar has a little pit in him?

That would be the dog i am talkin about, and no pit at all, just black lab and rawt, his dad his pure black lab at 110 pounds, and his mom is pure rawt. but he may have a little pit in him, ima double check

B

BobbiDollPDX

I'm lost, first he was 3/4 lab and 1/4 rottweiler, then his dad was pure lab and his mom was pure rottweiler which would make him 1/2 lab and 1/2 rott (correct me if dog breed math doesn't follow regular rules for fractions), now mom and dad both are both half lab and half rott?

R

rippin fish lips

I'm lost, first he was 3/4 lab and 1/4 rottweiler, then his dad was pure lab and his mom was pure rottweiler which would make him 1/2 lab and 1/2 rott (correct me if dog breed math doesn't follow regular rules for fractions), now mom and dad both are both half lab and half rott?

yes sorry, mom and dad are both half lab and rawt. i thought mom was pure rawt and dad was pure lab, but i just called my friend who's dog is the mother of my dog and he said that the dad and mom are both half rawt and lab to.

Sorry for any confusion!!

J

JeannaJigs

Bottom line is you are the Owner of an aggressive dog. Whether you think so or not. Your dog acted aggressively toward a child. And while your dog definitely looks pit, people also need to quit stereotyping dogs...my dachshund is more aggressive than my pitbull.

R

rippin fish lips

Bottom line is you are the Owner of an aggressive dog. Whether you think so or not. Your dog acted aggressively toward a child. And while your dog definitely looks pit, people also need to quit stereotyping dogs...my dachshund is more aggressive than my pitbull.

well put jeanna!!

B

beaverfan

+1

C

capblack

yeah what jeanna said, and rotts can be aggresive as well. gotta be careful, keep a short leash on your dog regardless of what it is, a lawsuit could sink your ship in no time, plus hurting a kid or worse can be hard to live with, and this isn't directed at the op, just in general. Brian

F

fish4life

I totally agree with not stereotyping dogs, I had a pitbull and it was the most gentle dog I have ever had on the other hand I have a springer spainiel who has shown some agression, he has never bitten anybody but I take every precaution. I dont let young children or strangers go around him or take him to places where there are other dogs. I made the decision to get him so I figured it wasn't fair to pawn him off on someone else, put him down, or take him to the pound. He is now 12 years old and like I said no incidents even though I have three children. Mainly by not putting the dog into a situation where it feels like it needs to become aggressive. Just my 2 cents

F

fish4life

One more thing Dogs are animals you dont know what is going through there head entirely because they can't tell you. Im sure all of us have done something in their life when they were mad or scared and later have regretted what they have done or said, dosnt make that person a bad person.

R

rippin fish lips

One more thing Dogs are animals you dont know what is going through there head entirely because they can't tell you.

yes!! and we are in there world! first time he's been agressive towards anything/anyone person. Looks like it is time to take a lot of precasion, shortin up the leash and put the muzzle on him. we took him to dog parks when he was little btu as soon as he hit just about full growth we stopped taking him there.

G

GraphiteZen

If it looked like I was stereotyping dogs I wasn't. It just looked pit to me, and I commented.

My aunt used to train pits, and has owned several. Greatest, most gentle and timid dogs I have ever seen if placed in the hands of an able handler. Chance will rip the rope right out of your hands playing tug and turn right around and gently pull a toddler around the living room but never hard enough to pull him over, to the delight of the child. I love pits.

On the topic of your own animal, it's too bad it bit that kid, too bad you didn't know it was capable of such behavior....

Last edited:
T

TTFishon

My dog, you've seen her, has been known to nip at kids. Luckily the kids parents know and understand that sometimes that's what dogs do. I know she can show aggression towards kids and I know it's up to me to keep her at bay but yeah, she's a border collie mix and she can be pretty aggressive.

troutdude

troutdude

Good on you, for steppin' up to pay the medical expenses for the kid and his/her family. I sure hope that the kid heals up quickly, and it's not too painful. I also hope, that he/she does not grow up to be overly fearful or hate dogs.

I'm not stereo tying either...but, I've seen many Rottweiler's that I would NOT get too close to. And, if I finally figured out your math; your dog is 1/2 Rott. I've been around many more Labs than Rotts. I've never seen a Lab lose it's cool; but an animal is animal is an animal. No sense in taking any chances.

I'm also VERY grateful (as the kid's family likely is); that the attack was not worse. We hear of terrible attacks all too often!

J

JeannaJigs

My lab I had growing up attacked me, unprovoked. She was jealous of the sandwich I was sharing with a friend and not her. Labs are not all angels. All dogs have the potential for aggression. A switch can go off at anytime. The most docile dog can become aggressive. Owners however should be responsible and learn torecognize early signs of aggression and take the necessary action to correct it.

R

rippin fish lips

On the topic of your own animal, it's too bad it bit that kid, too bad you didn't know it was capable of such behavior....

ROFL? i have lived with dogs and been around them for ever, i do and did know it was capable of such behavior.... I said i have never had a dog bite someone b 4. wow

Top Bottom