Is 3 rivers a navigable river or not?

F
fish junky
if the craft makes it down with out capsizing its navigatble ???????????

B
Bean
Navigable.... What does this really mean to us as fishermen? If a river is not navigable land owners with river / creeks on their land own the bottom. This means you can't walk or drop anchor on their land without trespassing. But, you can float on the water . .. they can't keep you from doing that. The problem with Three rivers is you can't fish from a floating device. It's my understanding that these laws were pushed through by some land owners below Cedar Creek to keep people from fishing the water on their land. I have also been told that if you stay in the water and get a ticket for trespassing there isn't a judge in Oregon that would rule against you. With all that said do you really want to get into a legal matter with a land owner that knows powerful people? One powerful enough to get a regulation changed in his favor?

M
markasd
I have an issue with that section of river... mainly because we fund the fish that that land owner has exclusive rights all to themselves. That just doesn't seem right. Seems as though a land owner on a river that has a hatchery above it, should not be allowed to "own" a section of water between that hatchery and the ocean... just sayin'.
Am I off base on this? I fish several rivers that fit this bill and its not right...
(sorry, got off topic there)

Last edited:
B
Bean
Nope, thing you just hit a home run. Money and power always wins or what is right. Or makes sense for that matter.

S
skunk
So looking at google earth, is there some of 3 rivers that is on forest land? Just below the hatchery? Looks like a campsite area also. I'm thinking this might be public access point?

brandon4455
brandon4455
skunk said:
So looking at google earth, is there some of 3 rivers that is on forest land? Just below the hatchery? Looks like a campsite area also. I'm thinking this might be public access point?

well, when i went there for springers there were people lined up in the water as far as i could see below the hatchery and there are trails along the woods so id say yeah

G
greenchem
trespassing tickets

trespassing tickets

Instead of just proving the navigability of the reach where you got a ticket, how about suing the landowner and agency involved for false arrest? Otherwise the landowners will keep treating the river as his property and calling the cops who will oblige him since he has the power and authority of being a resident property holder. It's time to put a stop to the intimidation. Too many of us are avoiding certain reaches because the landowner is a "dick."

R
RunWithSasquatch
I believe in situations where the land owner owns property on both sides of the stream, if its non navigable, then he owns the land under the water.

B
Bad Tuna
I know for a fact the Scott Amerman has drifted, in a drift boat, from the bridge at the hatchery down. It was in winter, several years ago.
I asked the state cop last year if I could walk down since it was navigable. He told me it wasn't. So I asked, if it's not, why is there a law stating you can't fish from a boat. Doesn't that law imply it is indeed navigable? He said that was a logical point. He said he would ask around, but that I would be better off asking the judge or consulting an attorney. I may try it later this month.

R
RunWithSasquatch
Heres a post by Osmosis, on SSSF.

Navigable rivers/sloughs in Oregon.

Though there is much to be debated regarding the rationality behind what is navigable and not, here is the current (as far as I know) list of the ones that are considered navigable.
There are several rivers listed as Navigable on a state level, very few actualy - which is odd considering how many rivers have state funded boat ramps. There are however around 100 that are listed as federally navigable.

There is a loophole I keep hearing about, to the effect of: rivers with state funded ramps are deemed navigable between such ramp and the takeout, Not sure of the validity as I can't find a law written on it.

On a state level these are Navigable:
Chetco,
Columbia,
Coos,
Coquille,
John Day,
Klamath,
Mckenzie,
Rogue,
Sandy,
Snake,
Umpqua