Heading out to Triangle Lake

J
JeannaJigs
I haven't fished Triangle Lake since I was 5 years old lol. I'm 24. You do the math there. I know there's some rainbows and cutthroat trout, potentially still a population of kokes, and some perch and bass (I think?). Has anyone fished it recently? Anything I should know? This is pretty much just a test run for some modifications I did to my pontoon boat, and it's the closest place I can think to take it after I get off work, since I work in Veneta. I suppose fern ridge is closer, but who really wants to screw with that mess in a pontoon boat? Not I. I'm not really out to do some serious fishing, but, it'd be nice to hook into something, it's been too long since I've been on the water. Tentatively going Thursday, even though the weather is supposed to be non cooperative, it's Oregon, what can you do?

G
grampa ron
Triangle Lake

Triangle Lake

There are a ton of Kokes in there. The only real success I've had is trolling a Ford Fender with a wedding ring a piece of worm and white corn. I have never caught one jigging. I also caught keeper perch on the same gear. It helps to have a depth/fish finder. I seem to catch in 20ft to 40ft of water. You should try a Thomas Lure also or any small spoon.

G
grampa ron
Horton Pond

Horton Pond

Have you ever tried Horton Pond? It's a lot nicer than Triangle for a toon. It has bass and trout also.

J
JeannaJigs
I so badly wish I had a fish finder on my 'toon. I've gotten spoiled using one on my parentals (used to be mine) 12' mirrocraft, that I almost don't know how to function without it. I threw all my thomas lures to the river gods during the steelhead season on lake creek, so that's not an option this week. I do have a buttload of panther martins and rooster tails, and some kastmasters and such...I have only had success jigging for kokes at O'Dell, nowhere else have I had one take a jig offering. I don't even remember the layout of that lake, other than there's only one public launch. I think it's just going to be a boating session lol, if I catch anything, it will be one heck of a bonus.

J
JeannaJigs
I have never heard of Horton pond, where's it at? I have only caught one bass ever, and it was accidental when I was pulling a plug for Coho at Siltcoos lake, and boy was it a nice one. Oh I guess I did catch a 3 inch small mouth throwing rooster tails at steelhead on the John Day a few summers ago (the lure was bigger than the fish). Otherwise, I haven't caught bass, and have only tried fishing for them once, I have nooo clue when it comes to those buggers. (although I should as my ex father in law does the whole bass masters tournament gig).

G
grampa ron
Horton Pond

Horton Pond

You pass by Horton Rd. on your way to Triangle. It's before you get to Blachly. Take Horton Rd. to Lake Creak Rd. follow it to the pond. Beautifull pond, it's almost always clear. Lake Creek runs through it. It even has Salmon and Steelhead pass through it. Look it up on Google Maps.

F
-fishinaddict-
So this horton pond do they stock it with trout and are there a lot of bass in there? I looked it up on google earth it looks like a really nice lake thinkin about going up there soon just wanted to know if the bass fishing was good or there is just a few. But i will settle for some nice trout as well. Thanks in advance for the info:cool:

J
JeannaJigs
I will check it as soon as I get off work, google maps doesn't seem to cooperate with my computer at work. Sounds like an awesome little body of water, and I think i'm gonna check it out for sure this week instead of Triangle

H
Hawk
that sounds like a neat pond.....................:D:D

long ways from heer tho.......................:rolleyes::rolleyes:

G
grampa ron
Horton Pond Trout

Horton Pond Trout

I don't think it get stocked at all. Most of it is not accessible from the bank. Pretty easy to launch small boats and toons tho and of course float tubes. It would be great if eveeryone did catch and release there.

J
JeannaJigs
catch and release for sure. I'm not in the mood to kill trout this year, yet. I only keep trout when I go up to Carmen and Smith camping, because there's SO many fish, they basically jump in your boat and they are awesome for dinner camping.

T
TTFishon
grampa ron said:
Have you ever tried Horton Pond? It's a lot nicer than Triangle for a toon. It has bass and trout also.

I second Horton. Better fishing. I've caught cutts up to eighteen inches in there. I even saw a steelhead in there once a couple of years after they fixed the ladder. Be careful though. I don't know when the baby steelhead all leave the pond. They might be gone but I'm not sure. It's a small enough lake that you should easily be able to cover in a day but if you'd like to know where I've caught most of my trout let me know and I will send you a PM.

T
TTFishon
-fishinaddict- said:
So this horton pond do they stock it with trout and are there a lot of bass in there? I looked it up on google earth it looks like a really nice lake thinkin about going up there soon just wanted to know if the bass fishing was good or there is just a few. But i will settle for some nice trout as well. Thanks in advance for the info:cool:

No they don't stock it. It has a variety of fish. Bluegill, LM bass, cutthroat trout , brown bullhead, native steelhead, and native coho. So if you start catching small trout anywhere from five to eight inches that look kind of like rainbows stop fishing in that spot and move on. They are not trout they are baby native steelhead. I have been fishing this place for twenty years now and it saddens me to watch it grow in popularity.

F
-fishinaddict-
Again guys thanks for the tips:cool: And you dont have to worry about the C&R i always do. :cool: I would rather catch a fish again after he has grown. That is way more fun then eatin them to me. see you on the water

T
TTFishon
If you like to drive on logging roads you can follow the road that goes over the inlet and it will take you to Junction City. Sometimes I will go that way to and from the lake. Most of it is paved too. Also if you keep going strait pass the Horton market that road will take you to the Alsea R. You can get to Monroe too if you follow the road at the end of the lake. Good luck.

M
mikeredding
JeannaJigs said:
I threw all my thomas lures to the river gods during the steelhead season on lake creek

Bi-Mart has them on sale for $1.99 this week. I stocked up this morning.!~:D:D:D

J
JeannaJigs
mikeredding said:
Bi-Mart has them on sale for $1.99 this week. I stocked up this morning.!~:D:D:D
Haha I was at Bi-Mart this morning too (slacking off and going into work late to browse the fishing department, It's all about priorities) and stocked up on them and some panther martins to toss at trout this weekend.

T
TTFishon
JeannaJigs, if you decide to go to Triangle I've caught kokes only in one area in that lake. This was a long time ago but I'm sure they hang out in the same area. I always caught them along the Hwy near the old church. At least I think was a church. I caught cutts at various places around the lake but they were all small eight and nine inchers. There are also some very large bass in Triangle. A buddy of mine's uncle went scuba diving there and said he saw ten pounders in there and I remember seeing picture on the wall of the store that recently burned down. I hope you get into some fish.

J
JeannaJigs
TTFishon said:
JeannaJigs, if you decide to go to Triangle I've caught kokes only in one area in that lake. This was a long time ago but I'm sure they hang out in the same area. I always caught them along the Hwy near the old church. At least I think was a church. I caught cutts at various places around the lake but they were all small eight and nine inchers. There are also some very large bass in Triangle. A buddy of mine's uncle went scuba diving there and said he saw ten pounders in there and I remember seeing picture on the wall of the store that recently burned down. I hope you get into some fish.
I'll keep that in mind, I was going to go out today, but have had a veterinary emergency, with one of my 4 legged kids, and so am home bound.

T
TTFishon
I hope your critter is ok.