Steelhead fishing this weekend. Where would you go?

N
nw5785
I am curious i hear the siuslaw is not the greatest plus the place is a zoo, and the only places i know is there and dexter dam, if you were to pick someplace to headout to this weekend where would be a good pick?

Within a 40 mile radius?

M
Mike123
All popular coastal rivers are zoo's.
All coastal rivers have steelhead in them right now.
If your looking for hatchery fish look for a river that has a broodstock program.

N
nw5785
right on ill look into that, thanks.

S
steelheadstalker31
Lake creek wasn't to bad last Thursday as far as crowds go, the lower we went the less people we saw. I'd probably head up stage coach road and look for some nice spots in that stretch. Garanteed not to be as crowded as the whitaker stretch.

N
nw5785
Yeah, how are the roads out there right now?

I just realized i cannot make it this weekend because i have to be portland going to a wedding. yay! ha so the weekend after this :)

J
JeannaJigs
nw5785 said:
Yeah, how are the roads out there right now?

I just realized i cannot make it this weekend because i have to be portland going to a wedding. yay! ha so the weekend after this :)

What kinda person chooses winter steelhead season to get married, fools.

Last I knew of, HWY 126 was closed west of Walton because of rock/mud slides. I have patients that live out there that couldn't come in because of it.

You could take HWY 36 out of Junction City towards triangle lake and go out that way...but....bleh.

N
nw5785
That sounds like a lot of driving.. maybe ill go towards dexter n fish the willy.. still have yet to catch anything on it cept trout hey least my rod is gettin some action! :lol:

J
JeannaJigs
I might break out the trout rod in a couple weeks and hit up dexter. Gas funds keep me grounded until then, otherwise I'd go out. I'm done with the steelhead until June, due to the unfortunate demise of my rod.

N
nw5785
has anyone ever gonna an fished at the boat ramp on river road bout 5 miles from junction city before i have seen plenty fish there, but nothing ever took my offering.

J
JeannaJigs
nw5785 said:
has anyone ever gonna an fished at the boat ramp on river road bout 5 miles from junction city before i have seen plenty fish there, but nothing ever took my offering.
Nope. Have not. I've pulled some fish out of the willamette near river road, near the beltline bridge though. However that's always been in July-August.

F
fourgotten
JeannaJigs said:
What kinda person chooses winter steelhead season to get married, fools.

Last I knew of, HWY 126 was closed west of Walton because of rock/mud slides. I have patients that live out there that couldn't come in because of it.

You could take HWY 36 out of Junction City towards triangle lake and go out that way...but....bleh.

Tripcheck (ODOT's Web site) says that it's open now... W00T!!!!

N
nw5785
Ahhhhh! i washed wallet... i had my fishing license in their..... its completey blank white piece of paper now.. do i have to buy another??? lame!!!

J
JeannaJigs
nw5785 said:
Ahhhhh! i washed wallet... i had my fishing license in their..... its completey blank white piece of paper now.. do i have to buy another??? lame!!!
OUCH! I did that before...and a couple weeks ago my dog almost devoured mine....no joke.

You have to get a duplicate. I'm uncertain of the cost on the tag, but the duplicate license as of the last time I had to get one, was 6.50 I believe... HOWEVER...they no longer issue duplicates of harvest tags...you have to go through ODFW to get that and it's a real pain. You won't be fishing for a few weeks (for salmon or steelhead) :( There's no delay in getting your license though, instant re-issue.

That really sucks. I feel your pain. I'd give ya mine since i'm done until June, but they might question that....just might...