So I tried these eggs ....

K
kentsboots
Picked up some salmon eggs from the fridge at the store , figured they were good to go , but they were all slimy and gooey and wouldnt stay on the hook ... so i figuered they must not be cured yet .

Went out fishing on monday and stopped by the lil drive through bait shop in troutdale and asked for Cured eggs , they give me what looks like the same thing but it also says egg clusters .... and i ask "so these are fully cured and are firm enough ot stay on the hook ?" and theyr like "ya.... duh" BUt no , same thing , and werent in clusters , but a big gooey pile . Get all smashed and only good for one cast .

Can i just use those and do the borax thing and let them dry more ? I dont have any new fresh eggs to cure myself or i would .

THey are suppsed to be a little firmer when cured arent they ?

B
bigdog
kentsboots said:
Picked up some salmon eggs from the fridge at the store , figured they were good to go , but they were all slimy and gooey and wouldnt stay on the hook ... so i figuered they must not be cured yet .

Went out fishing on monday and stopped by the lil drive through bait shop in troutdale and asked for Cured eggs , they give me what looks like the same thing but it also says egg clusters .... and i ask "so these are fully cured and are firm enough ot stay on the hook ?" and theyr like "ya.... duh" BUt no , same thing , and werent in clusters , but a big gooey pile . Get all smashed and only good for one cast .

Can i just use those and do the borax thing and let them dry more ? I dont have any new fresh eggs to cure myself or i would .

THey are suppsed to be a little firmer when cured arent they ?

It's all going to depend on how you cure them but they are pretty much the same as far as I know but I haven't had a lot of exp with eggs I know people like to use the red cloth to wrap them in to get them to stay on longer but most the time when I see people using cured eggs they are rebaiting almost every cast so I might not be the best person to listen to but thought I would drop my thought about it to you good luck
CJ

Reactions: Dichrofisher
H
Hawk
I've never used clusters of eggs bro but i've seen at Wallyworld & other bait stores a threadlike netting that some folks put over the eggs to keep them on the hook....................:D

When i catfish i sometimes use turkey or chicken liver..................i wrap thread around the glob to keep on hook........................:lol::lol::lol:

Catch a Big'UN.............................

B
bigdog
yeah thats the net stuff I was thinking of just couldn't think of it lol
CJ

F
fish_on!!!
walmart

walmart

I got some cured roe at walmart:) it was vacuum seald and was real hard like clay I liked how good it stays on my hook but don't know how attractive this stuff is to the fish? Anyone try this stuff an have any luck ran me about 12 bucks (Pro-cured)

Irishrover
Irishrover
I have used that red mesh with sloppy eggs. I cut a piece of mesh off the roll, tuck in the eggs and cinch it down good with the egg loop. (never landed a fish usuing it) I prefer to use eggs that have a good piece of skeen on them and cinch them onto the hook with the egg loop and not use the mesh. Good luck.

Hawk: I went catfishing a few years back with an uncle who lived in Iowa. His special bait as he put it was "the last two inches of a chicken's behind before it saw the world" He liked the intestine I think cause he never had to use smelly gelly! Yes it did work but I think you have the ticket with the livers...........

Last edited:
F
fish_4_all
To be honest, it would be cheaper and probably more effective if you bought single trout eggs and wrapped them in the spawn sack.

What I would try with those mush bags of eggs form Wallyworld is to try and single them but I doubt that will work either. Cost is too high anyway to take a chance after spending $12 or so for the eggs. Try a local bait shop ot tackle shop and try to find some descent eggs. Vacuum packing them ruptures the membranes so they are mushy. Could always use them to give some scent to a jig/corkie/ or something else until you get some you can cure yourself.

D
Dichrofisher
I have noticed through practice with the eggs that the way you fish them and cst them can make a huge difference. Do you use an "egg loop" on your hook? If you get the loop around the sceen of the egg cluster and you manage your drift appropriately, the eggs will hang on a bit longer. Also when retrieving avoid the YANK, " there aren't any damn fish in here!" retrieve than maybe your hook will return with some red gooey still attached.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Dichrofisher said:
I have noticed through practice with the eggs that the way you fish them and cst them can make a huge difference. Do you use an "egg loop" on your hook? If you get the loop around the sceen of the egg cluster and you manage your drift appropriately, the eggs will hang on a bit longer. Also when retrieving avoid the YANK, " there aren't any damn fish in here!" retrieve than maybe your hook will return with some red gooey still attached.

Hey,is you signature a website? I would love to check it out
Barb

A
ArcticAmoeba
Everybody get one with eggs, and cures...Here's a "one" for you guys...Knox gelatin. It will tuffen 'em up a bit. Look into the ingredients on Knox. Do a little research, and figure out which chemical makes jello stiff, but soft at the same time. Your eggs will change overnight. single cast baits, to 10 cast baits, with a single chem change. And don't let your fresh eggs get wet, AT ALL, they are way fishier when removed, and immediately contained. Ah, thats two, but hey, I guess everyone gets two! Knox 'em up if they are too sloppy, and don't let your fish babies touch water when they are fresh.

F
FishSchooler
Oh and, I may point out that Knox Gelatin is made of animal skin n bones. Just pointin that out. doesn't salt toughen them up a bit too?

O
osmosis
Yes salt does toughen them up some.
Yes some gelatin is made from animals! The more death involved the better the bait!

Troutski
Troutski
Oh yea baby...

Oh yea baby...

osmosis said:
Yes salt does toughen them up some.
Yes some gelatin is made from animals! The more death involved the better the bait!

You guy's crack me up....."the more death involved the better the bait", Funny and yet true ;) :lol:

Chuck

A
ArcticAmoeba
It's true, Knox is made from deceased livestock, or what have you, and it does not turn off the bite. Some other toughening agents, like another gelatin in particular does not sit well with the feesh. Death is a good thing when yur Steelheadin, not so much for the Salmon, but the Steel are the Crack heads of the ocean, and rivers. Vivacious eaters, and they are pretty dumb to boot... Hook one, and it gets off. It'll be back in 15 for another presentation.

F
fish_on!!!
How much does 1 packet make, wat part wat?u gotta add any other stuff or jus mix it 2gether toss it around til it gets alil thick? Then stick it in the fridge over nite.

Last edited:
A
ArcticAmoeba
Back in the day fishin with this crazy lady guide on the Oly Penn. when i was a wee. We used to murder giant chrome Trout on a commercially available stiffing agent, essentially a gelatin product, and borax. No cure, just those two agents on 10 minute old eggs, and they fished as good as any, dyed, or proper cure. Granted she kenw what she was doing, but still, weird to "treat" eggs like she does. Funny how each of us has this absolutely, hands down the greatest cure in the world... But it will never be the same for each of us. We all reeeeek, to a different degree, and we need to determine what combinations, of color, and stink do we produce most handily with. FISH ON - You can use a whole packet on a single skein if that suits your fancy. I have never used that much, but I was thinkin about it recently, as this one recent hen had some boofey, big 'ol berries, and they got a bunch of gelatin. You can't go too overboard with that, or borax I don't think. I put two pounds of Borax into my last two skeins, and DANG! They are super cracky and they make a cloud of cure colored soap. Drives 'em up the boards! Well the cure does anyways, but the soap rinsing off as it drifts just makes a colored scent trail to my little stinger, and bang. Fish stuck...Cures...Huh!:rolleyes:

C
c_13_b
thanx

thanx

I had the same question....looks like I will be putting my spawn sac mesh to use. Anybody know what the best way to ty your spawn sacs?

R
Razz
ArcticAmoeba said:
Everybody get one with eggs, and cures...Here's a "one" for you guys...Knox gelatin. It will tuffen 'em up a bit. Look into the ingredients on Knox. Do a little research, and figure out which chemical makes jello stiff, but soft at the same time. Your eggs will change overnight. single cast baits, to 10 cast baits, with a single chem change. And don't let your fresh eggs get wet, AT ALL, they are way fishier when removed, and immediately contained. Ah, thats two, but hey, I guess everyone gets two! Knox 'em up if they are too sloppy, and don't let your fish babies touch water when they are fresh.

:clap: Two thumbs up from me ,I may be new to the post but I'm OLD.

R
Razz
c_13_b said:
I had the same question....looks like I will be putting my spawn sac mesh to use. Anybody know what the best way to ty your spawn sacs?
Clear or red thread used to tie bait on kwikfish.

A
ArcticAmoeba
Razz said:
:clap: Two thumbs up from me ,I may be new to the post but I'm OLD.

Nice! Welcome to the stinky 'ol ship we call Oregon Fishin Forum. I see you are located up North of us...On, or near one of my favorite River Systems in the World. I have many, many crazy stories on the Hoh, Sky/Sno, and a few other Oly Penn. streams, with a local guide from when I was a bit younger... Good times for me, when I'm up that direction stalking the biggest Sewer Trout I have hooked-up with.