Snake river in Ontario area

C
craigatkins
anyone have a report for steelhead in the Ontario area. I am going there for thanksgiving and need a break from the inlaws. Please help..............:(

F
fishin_fool
Hi Craig, your best bet for a steel head near ontario is the Boise river, the idfg has been taking steel from hells canyon dam and placing them in the boise for the last month... I am 0 for 2 but have seen many fish come out... hope this helps ya

J
joesnuffy
It's a LLOOOONNNNGGGGG drive from Ontario to Hells Canyon but it's another option.

J
joesnuffy
If you just want to go fishing, there is decent catfishing near Fairwell Bend.

Irishrover
Irishrover
joesnuffy said:
If you just want to go fishing, there is decent catfishing near Fairwell Bend.
Boy that brought back some memories! I fished for catfish at Fairwell Bend in 1967 when I was a freshman at TVCC. There was nothing there at the time, now there is a truck stop and motel. I know it's not stealhead but there used to be good catfishing just north of Ontatrio at the mouth of the Malhuer River where it enters the Snake. There is a park right there so access is good.

C
craigatkins
thanks guys, fishin is fishin as far as I am concerned. I actually caught 3 nice cats in the 24" area at Farewell bend last July while crappie fishing, right next to the shore in some rocks with a naked crappie jig. Damn they were nice eatin. Later.

J
joesnuffy
You might want to check out the Owahee River and Res.

I'm not sure that the river is open right now but there are nice fish in the Res.

F
fishin_fool
Hey Craig, let me know what kind of fishing you want to do and whether you have to fish the oregon side or if your interested in fishing Idaho side... Have quite a few areas you may be able to do either depending on type of fish or state

C
craigatkins
I am limitted to the Oregon side and am new to steelhead fishing and haven't had a lot of luck so far. I would be interested in catfish, or whatever really. Thanks for any info you might have.

F
fishin_fool
I haven't fished the Oregon side of the river for quite a few years but I'm sure the holes have changed much... Probably not gonna find many steelhead shots anywhere close to ontario but if your interested in possibly hitting some really good small mouths I have a spot you can try... or if your interested in some channel cats I have a spot you can try... just let me know...

Mike

C
craigatkins
I am going to take some gear for catfishing and maybe bass so that if the opportunity does arise I can give it a shot. It looks like the Malhauer empties into the snake right about where my in laws live so there should be some muddy little backwaters there somewhere. Thanks for the info. Later.

F
fishin_fool
the park right near the mouth is a pretty good spot for cats...
good luck

Mike

J
joesnuffy
Wave to me as you drive past Baker City.

Enjoy your fishing.

H
hgordon4
Browns on the Owyhee

Browns on the Owyhee

Hey,
if your looking for big trout action near Ontario, then your closest and best Oregon waters would be south of Ontario on the Owyhee River (about 50 miles). My best fishing seems to be above the hot springs but some will argue otherwise. There's a good population of steelhead sized browns and they make for a great fight on a fly. If your a bait fisherman, take a medium action spinning rod with little to no weight drifting either worms or the tiny salsa shrimp you get in a can. Of course, all browns are catch and release and the rainbows are few and far between. Also; a lot of weekend fly-fishing Idahodians fish that stream, so it would be wise to fish mid week.

J
Jasony
craig..I live close by...go to the Outdorsman and buy some mormon crickets (big crickets). then hop on the freeway and head towards Baker. take the Vale, wieser exit and take a right go about 1/2 mile and pull into the state park. I fish up river from the boat ramp about 100 yards. Rig a threeway with the weight about 3' down and a 6-0 circle hook on 6 inches of leader. Hook the cricket under the chin and out its tail with the curved part of the hook exposed.(the opposite of rigging a three-way for steelhead) I use a 5-oz wieght..there (fast current). The hole is half-way between the bank and the island so you need to cast about 70 yards for the weight to hang up in the right spot (way down stream)....let it set and ancore your pole. I don't even pick the pole up unless it is laid down flat...then just reel them in..don't set the hook...circle hooks can pop out when set hard...If the cats are soft mouthing go to a 2-0 octupus and sit down with the pole..try and time the hook set so you yank when they pop it. they catch and release cats down there so they can be hook -shy at times.