Smoky beer battered fried riblettes

C
CDN
IMG_7666.jpg

On a hunting trip to Saskatchewan a few years ago, we stopped at a convenience store for gas and some snacks, and they had some riblets that were fried. They were really good, and my buddy Walt Rabern and I deducted we could put a southern twist on it by smoking them and then frying them! Turns out, we were not wrong! These things turned out so good, it is MUST for my Superbowl Party menu!

What you'll need:

For the batter

1 cup flour

1 cup corn starch

12 ounce can of beer

1 tablespoon Old WoodFire Grill KK's 10 BBQ Rub©

1 tablespoon granulated garlic

For the ribs

Boneless country style ribs

Old WoodFire Grill KK's 10 BBQ Rub©

Hickory or pecan wood or chunks

Start out by seasoning the boneless country style ribs with a liberal coating of Old WoodFire Grill KK's 10 BBQ Rub. After seasoning, place them back in the refrigerator for a couple of hours prior to cooking, up to overnight. For the smoking of the ribs, you want to put them on your cooker long enough to get a nice smoky flavor, but not cooked all the way through. You can do them on your choice of cookers, such as the Weber Kettle, Big Green Egg, or any other type smoker you may have. You could also use a gas grill using an indirect method with some wood chips or chunks. The idea is to maintain a low smoking temp of around 225 degrees. I used my offset smoker for this cook, burning hickory, but pecan would do nicely as well. Smoke the ribs for about 45 minutes to an hour, or until the outside starts to take on some color, to get a nice smokering.

IMG_6129.jpg

In the meantime, mix up the batter for the ribs by mixing the flour and corn starch in a large bowl. Pour in the beer, stirring with a whisk until you get a nice consistency, about like pancake batter. Only use enough beer to get the consistency that you want. Add 1 tablespoon of Old WoodFire Grill KK's 10 BBQ Rub and 1 tablespoon of granulated garlic. When the ribs are ready to come in, cut them into chunks and place them in the batter, mixing well so as to completely coat each chunk.

IMG_7656.jpg

Once battered, deep fry the riblets at 350 degrees until the coating is crisp and the riblets are floating. Smother them with your favorite BBQ sauce and serve with Old WoodFire Grill's Beer Battered Fries

Reactions: eggs
W
wozniasm
Made the Smokey Hot Tater Tots and they were excellent!

E
eggs
You and your gollydarn site make me soo hungry.. I need to find some deer or elk to pick up off someone.. hint hint if anyone has extras let me know what type of 'trade' can be worked out... (shhh my wife makes a great date)

Last edited by a moderator:
K
Kevinb5688
eggs said:
You and your gollydarn site make me soo hungry.. I need to find some deer or elk to pick up off someone.. hint hint if anyone has extras let me know what type of 'trade' can be worked out... (shhh my wife makes a great date)

Lol, if your avitar pick is her i might trade a backstrap or two if i can down that beer with no hands between her boobies. Lol.
In all seriousness, there are a ton of meat markets that sell deer and elk meat. I go to emersons meat market on highway 34. Great elk meat. I can get my own deer meat but elk seem to escape my bow and arrow every year.

Last edited by a moderator:
C
CoastieFlo
You mean Emmons on hwy 34? I go there too...they have good buffalo jerky and the dogs love their smoked marrow bones.