Smoking Salmon - other wood flavors?

troutdude
troutdude
A fellow OFFer, has inquired about whether peeps like Alder or Apple wood for smoking Salmon.

I'm curious to know, if anyone has any other wood "flavors" that they like for Salmon?

V
viento
troutdude said:
A fellow OFFer, has inquired about whether peeps like Alder or Apple wood for smoking Salmon.

I'm curious to know, if anyone has any other wood "flavors" that they like for Salmon?
Hi, I've used apple, cherry and plum from the yard, oak. alder and apple from the woodpile, and for beef, sometimes add in 5% of an aromatic like cedar/pine/fir.

The brine can have a great effect, honey, tabasco, brown sugar, salt, worcestershire, chile powders, soy sauce, all come in differing varieties worth trying, and now I'm
hungry, with nothing smoked, that isn't in a can :(

R
Razz
Used to use 20-30 pc of firewood size alder in my 6'x6' now it's a big chief and a bag of alder chips.All my smoked steelhead we're released yesterday on the Rogue.

troutdude
troutdude
Viento...sorry to cause you to become hungry.

Razz...where can I go to get a "Smoked Steelhead" tag???

LOL

V
viento
Razz said:
Used to use 20-30 pc of firewood size alder in my 6'x6' now it's a big chief and a bag of alder chips.All my smoked steelhead we're released yesterday on the Rogue.
The EPA has been notified.