Smoking and steelhead fishing

H
Herefishyfishy
I'm wondering what the opinions of OFF'rs are on the effects of smoking cigarettes while fishing for steelhead. I've heard different opinions from people and want to know what you think. I've heard of smokers that will not smoke at all on a day they are going to fish and swear it makes a difference. Can they smell it on your rig?:think:

L
Last Cast
My wife and I stopped smoking 2.5 years ago. What I have noticed is that in a combat fishery it didn't seem to make much difference. Since quiting My hookup ratio has increaced in the areas where there is not as many fish. The bigger issue is all the butts floating down the river. I am shocked that after 2.5 years of not smoking I still find butts around our house upon occasion. So that being said what is happening to them on the river? I have droped my fair sare in water, and just wish I had the awreness then that I have now. I'm not condeming smoking by any means. I am just asking that smokers haul out what they brought in.

H
Herefishyfishy
To let people know, my wife is always complaining about the butts in my back pocket. I would not ever drop a butt in any of our beautiful waters or on the banks. My fishing buddy has felt my wrath for that! So do you think they were smelling it on your rig?

J
jathrtn
Agreed!

Agreed!

I HAVE TO SAY I AGREE, HAUL OUT WHAT YOU HAUL IN! IM A SMOKER MYSELF AND WHEN IM DONE IN DONT DROP THE BUTTS ON THE GROUND BECAUSE THEY WILL END UP IN THE RIVER. I USUALLY EXTINGUISH THEM AND PUT THEM IN MY POCKET TO DISPOSE OF THEM LATER!:cool:

T
Thuggin4Life
Not sure about steelhead but I got a ****load of coho and I smoke all day long while I'm fishing.

O
OnTheDrop
haha! This is a joke right? I smoke all day and have never noticed a difference from the times where i dont have any cigs

H
halibuthitman
many people feel smoking affects your fishing, I smoke and have never seen any evedence that proves it to be against you, if there is a chance I would guess on a low spring creek sophiticated trout scenario, you could suffer some, but not with a steelhead or salmon in a high volume river. If your not catching fish, and smoke, I don't think blaming the cigs gonna do you any good. I have fished with guys who are fanatical about scent and would pass out if you smoked even near them. :shock:

S
stonesworth
I would say yes It would have to make a difference if only a little one..Im not saying you will get skunked if you smoke but when the fish are very picky on days when everything counts when it comes to look and smell just an over all natural appearance a smoke smell on your gear is not natural and "could" hurt ya... And most if not all the guides I see all have on latex gloves so scent "can" be a big deal.. In saying that, I smoke and this has come up when fishing with buds out on the river fishing some of us say no and some yes...And I always pack out my butts even though it smells up my coat!! GOOD LUCK OUT ON THE WATER !!!

M
Mherriford
I have always packed out my butts as well, but never noticed that I did worse when smoking, I have on the other hand seen my buddy accidentally hit his line with a lit smoke, the line melted in half and he lost his spinner :lol: He did not find it as funny as I did.

B
BobberDown
well i would say yes it would make a didfrance but if you where nitrate gloave while you fish that should stop that problem i can say any unatural sent like human odor or nicitine or what ever will make fish shy away in a lot of cases let say if you boght a stake in a restrant and it smelled like raw fish or motor oil would you eat it ??????? i know i would not same thing i think

Y
Yentz
I have never noticed a difference. There might well be a slight difference, but I doubt it is significant.

And I always keep a little zip-top baggy for packing out the butts. The ziptop keeps the clothes from smelling up to bad as well.

M
metalfisher76
Yentz said:
I have never noticed a difference. There might well be a slight difference, but I doubt it is significant.

And I always keep a little zip-top baggy for packing out the butts. The ziptop keeps the clothes from smelling up to bad as well.

I think smokers don`t want to believe that it "could" be an issue.:D But it probably isn`t a big one. I know smokers that catch fish. I have, however, had a weekend where I skunked 3 friends right next to me who smoked. Eggs where being used and no doubt my cure was on fire that day. But my brother used it, so did the girlfriend of the other buddy, who would not stray from his eggs, even after 5 hook ups to 0. I did not use gloves and neither did they. IDK if the smoking was the difference, butt....:cool:

T
Thuggin4Life
The same can be said for nonsmokers. I have fished all day with people who don't smoke and came out better than they did.

Troutski
Troutski
Smoking and other scents

Smoking and other scents

Between gasoline, motor oil, breakfast, snacks, Tea, Coffee, fabric softener (on your cloths), body oils, and yes the scent of rubber/latex/nitrate gloves one thing becomes very evident... Fish are opportunistic feeders, normally they have less than a heartbeat to react and feed. I believe that presentation, paying attention, color and experience play a far greater percentage than does scent. Whats between your ears is far more powerful than any of the above items, I will admit I use Shrimp Oil as a lubricant on my lures and clean my tackle with it.:redface::redface: That being said....

Chuck

N
nointrntrprts
a fly

a fly

there is a fly called the "cigarette butt" simply for the reason of so many butts in the river, fish were actually hitting them! tied off and proven - it is now a fly...
No I dont think a fish cares - Chuck nailed it...

T
THE JEFF
Im pretty sure I hooked more fish when i was a smoker. I was also younger and fished a lot more. I really dont think it matters too much. Just rember to pack out your butts and if the guys next to you dont smoke be polite and dont smoke them out it really does stink.

T
Thuggin4Life
If there are guys next to me that didn't come with me and complain then chances are i am combat fishing so i don't care what they think they should have gone elsewhere. But seriously i smoke but don't like to smell other people's smoke.

M
metalfisher76
Thuggin4Life said:
The same can be said for nonsmokers. I have fished all day with people who don't smoke and came out better than they did.

Ya the only reason I ever think of that day is where we were. There were piles of fish and everyone was in `em. I do think it was the cure more than anything.

J
jathrtn
BobberDown said:
well i would say yes it would make a didfrance but if you where nitrate gloave while you fish that should stop that problem i can say any unatural sent like human odor or nicitine or what ever will make fish shy away in a lot of cases let say if you boght a stake in a restrant and it smelled like raw fish or motor oil would you eat it ??????? i know i would not same thing i think

NICE ANALOGY DAN, BTW THANXS FOR THE BAD ASS JIGS TOO! I HOPE TO SWIN THEM THIS WEEKND. I DONT HAVE MUCH LUCK WETHER I SMOKE OR NOT, BUT I HAVE CAUGHT A STEEL HEAD IN BEETWEEN SMOKE BREAKS. WETHER OR NOT I WOULD OF HOOKED ANOTHER ONE IF I didn't SMOKE I GUESS I WILL NEVER KNOW, BUT I CAN SAY I HAVE BEEN SKUNKED ON DAYS THAT I HAVNT SMOKED!:cool:

R
RIVERFISHER
I know of peeps actually takin the fuzzy filter and using it as yarn and hooking plenty of fish. Seen it with my own 2 eyes happen... And also if you are a chewer wintergreen works. When I'm bass fishin steelin or troutin I sometimes take a partially empty can and dip my bait in it....most likely a wives tail on the chew but ya I believe in it