Smoked steelhead pasta recipe

O
osmosis
We're having it for dinner so I decided to post the recipe. It's far from the most fancy but it tastes great and is rather simple.
You can use any type of fish as long as you de bone it and make it into small pieces. My favorite is Coho.

What we do is Traeger (smoke/grill) the fish with alder, and when the fish is done I let it cool and then tear it up and de bone it entirely. You can do the fish in the oven or BBQ, whatever you prefer.

The spices we used to season the fish on the grill today are:
Rosemary, ginger, garlic, onion powder, sea salt, and lemon pepper. Do whatever spices that you like.

april20300.jpg

Once the fish is prepared, boil some water and make some noodles. Today we used shells but we have done all types. We like shells or wavy noodles as they "pick up" more sauce it seems.

april20302.jpg

Once your noodles are almost done, make a Rue and add a cup of milk and whisk like heck until it gets thick (simple white sauce). add a little bit of the same seasoning you used on the fish.

april20309.jpg

Get some veggies going on the side to mix in at the end. We did peas, carrots, and corn tonight.

mix the fish into the white sauce once it's getting thick.

april20311.jpg

when you've sufficiently heated the fish back up mix in the strained noodles. Here's when you add the veggies.
I can't eat cheese (though I wish I still could), but I dont see any reason you couldnt add it to this.

april20315.jpg

Here's dinner ready to eat :D

april20318.jpg

We also made some fresh Boysenberry and raspberry (that we got at our neighborhood u-pick yesterday) guava passionfruit orange smoothies to go with it.

april20.jpg

MMMM

Last edited:
M
metalmania
Aw man i'm salivating just thinking about it:lol:. I think i'm gonna have to try this out.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
MMMmmmmm

MMMmmmmm

Osmosis;
That looks soooo good! It sure beats the socks off the turkey sandwich and ceasar salad I had in my hotel room tonight. I will give it a try when we get back from Lodi. Thanks for the recipe.
Be safe.
Barb

O
OnTheFly
Made me want to just dip a spoon into the monitor!

O
osmosis
I've eaten nothing but beef broth and jello since friday, so it's torturing me as well :D

Hope some of you try it sometime and like how it turns out!

B
beaverfan
Not a big fish eater and I rarely eat pasta but that looks just tasty! Now if I could only catch one....LOL

Guess I could use a couple of the stocker trout I caught last weekend out of Olallie, just won't be the same though.

O
osmosis
nah, steelhead - trout - they're the same thing :D.
My opinion is that a steelhead is simply a trout that got to eat some shrimp. toss some shrimp in that recipe and you've got it made haha.
Getting all those pin bones out of the trout will be a pain though

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Krike..... I tried that once with dollar store pasta and clam chowder.. Sure didn't look as tasty! Actually wasn't half bad though I will definitely be doing it again in the near future, exactly like this!

--- Man I am so hungry now and it's too late to cook anything or go anywhere. Thanks a lot. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
osmosis said:
nah, steelhead - trout - they're the same thing :D.
My opinion is that a steelhead is simply a trout that got to eat some shrimp. toss some shrimp in that recipe and you've got it made haha.

That's pretty funny.

F
FishSchooler
It would be awesome eating like you... i think I eat to much frozen food/microwavable food.

I'm not sure if soy-sauce-soaked-sockeye-salmon would taste as good though. :lol:

T
Troutier Bassier
Mmmmmmmm, That looks Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Good.
;)

T
Troutier Bassier
Dang, That looks good.
Gives me a Good Reason to go Fishing.
I had to look at it Again :lol:

O
osmosis
Hahaha Yeah it's good stuff. Hit those creeks and rivers and find yourself a sea-run fish man!
We're making steelhead chowder tomorrow :D

T
Troutier Bassier
Yum!
If I went out more Often, Id be a fish Catching Machine.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
osmosis said:
Hahaha Yeah it's good stuff. Hit those creeks and rivers and find yourself a sea-run fish man!
We're making steelhead chowder tomorrow :D

Oh just so you know osmosis the next time we have a potluck you are coming, and you are making food. Your gift was much appreciated but I personally demand a prepared dish the next time something like this takes place. ;)

O
osmosis
Hey, I gave FF half a steelhead and told him to cook it up for all you guys!!
We brought some biltong (south african style jerky) but not that many people gave it a shot (chickens!).

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
osmosis said:
Hey, I gave FF half a steelhead and told him to cook it up for all you guys!!
We brought some biltong (south african style jerky) but not that many people gave it a shot (chickens!).

WHAT THE!?!?! I had no idea you brought anything like that!!! I knew about the steelhead and thought it was a great thing to contribute but south african style jerky.. DOH! Aside from smoked fish, jerky is at the top... I can't believe this... I take everything back! :confused:

B
Bohemian
osmosis said:
We're having it for dinner so I decided to post the recipe. It's far from the most fancy but it tastes great and is rather simple.
You can use any type of fish as long as you de bone it and make it into small pieces. My favorite is Coho.

What we do is Traeger (smoke/grill) the fish with alder, and when the fish is done I let it cool and then tear it up and de bone it entirely. You can do the fish in the oven or BBQ, whatever you prefer.

The spices we used to season the fish on the grill today are:
Rosemary, ginger, garlic, onion powder, sea salt, and lemon pepper. Do whatever spices that you like.

Once the fish is prepared, boil some water and make some noodles. Today we used shells but we have done all types. We like shells or wavy noodles as they "pick up" more sauce it seems.

Once your noodles are almost done, make a Rue and add a cup of milk and whisk like heck until it gets thick (simple white sauce). add a little bit of the same seasoning you used on the fish.

Get some veggies going on the side to mix in at the end. We did peas, carrots, and corn tonight.

mix the fish into the white sauce once it's getting thick.

when you've sufficiently heated the fish back up mix in the strained noodles. Here's when you add the veggies.
I can't eat cheese (though I wish I still could), but I dont see any reason you couldnt add it to this.

Here's dinner ready to eat :D

MMMM

I made this for dinner tonight. It was absolutely wonderful! And it's very easy to prepare.
Thank so much for this great recipe đź‘Ź

W
wormosa
soy sauce soaked fish is amazing
( say that three times) ....esp. tuna