Smoke of my cigarettes

Admin
Admin
Here is my Q. I smoke. I smoke while I'm driving to a river (and my fishing pole in the car), I smoke on my way back, I leave the pole in the car (and buts in an ashtray). Next day I sit in the car and say "damn, it stinks here" then I'm smoking on my way to the river... Does it affect my fishing? Do fish "don't like" that smell? Do I need to change my fishing line and keep it "smoke free"? Or maybe fish don't care about that smell as long as it's not a "smell of live creature"? I mean I catch fish from time to time. But maybe I would catch more fish and more often?

F
Fishtopher
Couple of no-no's there...ya should'nt leave yer rod in the car at all when it is parked, especially in the summer time. The heat build up will weaken your line. Not to mention the sun's u.v. rays will trash your mono. And smoke is said to "turn of the bite". Just like oil on your hands. Try not to eat greasy foods on your way to the river too. I like to grab some of those purple nitrile gloves from the doctors office everytime I take in the wife or kids(I avoid doctors like the plague). Go get some Lemon Joy dish soap. That stuff works wonders! I've seen a skunked morning bite turn red hot after washing hands and washing the plug that was tied on with stinky hands...

D
Drew9870
I have a 80 gallon fish tank, and owning a fish tank you must learn a lot about fish. :naughty: Nicotine is highly poisonous to fish :naughty: , I smoke also, so I try to use one hand to smoke and the other to bait my hook. Or just get some black licorice soap to wash your hands off with (I have been told that it is Anise that makes it smell like black licorice)

Admin
Admin
Thank you guys. Well, I'll have to work on this.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
I have always been confused as to the whole nicotine + fish issue. Some people say it matters greatly some say they don't notice.. I used to smoke constantly when I fished (ask CC) and I never noticed a difference, I know a couple guys that are practically two steps away from mainlining Copenhagen while they fish and they just kill the steelies. On the other hand there are guys that smoke and are so obsessive about the smell they are washing their hands in scent..

As far as it being poisonous to fish, what do you yourself enjoy that technically is "poisonous" to your body? :D

Who knows. Best solution: Quit. I did. It sucked. Still sucks. But you wouldn't believe the things you could smell again!! Sure helps you to not step in dog poo I'll tell ya!

Last edited:
M
mgdguy
^ What GZ said - all of it. Seen the argument go both ways. If you're not catching, my thinking is there would be other more significant reasons as to why the fish aren't biting than the cig smoke from your fingers or gear.

But I could be wrong.

And I quit smoking one week ago. So far so good. But yes it SUCKS.

H
halibuthitman
coffin nails and silverbows

coffin nails and silverbows

Well, this is a question as old as time... all I know is when I was a 14 yr old I caught more fish with a zebco 202 reel and a scanoe than I do now with a g-g-loomis and a thunder jet..... proving its not your gear, so if you are not catching you should me moving. I have slayed rainbows in a creek that ran through a 3 month old forest burn, have smoked while fishing and even caught a bluegill on a cig butt as a joke so I think you are over thinking the question and soon fishing may stop being fun. So leave the science to the scientist, and leave half the gear you are taking at home, keep the dugans and start seeing whats happening, like the guy who posted today who had his kid with him and discovered the steel in the shallows.. he SAW what was going on and will now respond to it and he WILL catch more fish from now on.
and it is also hard to catch a fish that isn't even in the river yet, so if you enjoy a nice marb while standing in the rain on an oregon river... it sounds like catching is just a bonus.

"most my money I spent on beer boats and trucks.... the rest of it I wasted!"

T
Timber
Seems like everytime I light up a cheap cigar the fish will start to bite.

O
OneMore
I once saw an old guy smoking a pipe that hooked 4 fish to my one. I say it can't hurt to keep your stuff clean.

C
cchinook
smoking

smoking

wear the gloves - how do you think a nook can find it's way back to the water it was born in - hundreds of miles away ? it ain't by sight ! If you bait with eggs wear gloves ! You will impress your friends and relatives with more fish.