Smith Rock Fishing?

C
chrishophoto
Smith Rock has always been one of my favorite fishing places in Oregon, but I have never fished there. Has anybody here tried it, and if so, was it any good?

Just curious, -C

Last edited by a moderator:
Irishrover
Irishrover
Chris, from my place in Culver just west of Juniper Butte I have a good view of Smith Rock. I've been over there a few times but have never fished that section of the Crooked River. I guess I'll have to give it a try. I'm headed back over there in a couple of days. I'll let you know how it goes. Hope to see you on the Sandy again.

C
chrishophoto
I might be tempted to join you, if you want to fish there over the weekend.

Let me know, -C

Irishrover
Irishrover
I'll be there this weekend. Not sure exactley when but I'll send you a PM

Irishrover
Irishrover
I went to the Crooked River at Smith Rock State Park on Sunday. Beautiful place and the river there adds to the beauty. But the river was low and running slow, lots of frog water and no fish rising. Then I notice that there were a ton of people there but no one was fishing. I don't think this is a paticularly good piece of trout water. Think I'll leave it to the hiking rock climbing folks and fish the Crooked below Bowman Dam. ;)

C
chrishophoto
So did you get a line wet at all? The water ther is always a little bit murky. If you fillow the river up stream a bit through the park there are some rapids. Perhaps it's just wishful thinking on my part, but I know there is no shortage of insects around there.:think:

Irishrover
Irishrover
chrishophoto said:
So did you get a line wet at all? The water ther is always a little bit murky. If you fillow the river up stream a bit through the park there are some rapids. Perhaps it's just wishful thinking on my part, but I know there is no shortage of insects around there.:think:

No wet line. After four knee and two back surgeries it has to be a sure bet before I'd walk that trail on a hot August day. Now if I saw just one other fisherman down there or one fish rise I'd have crawled down there on all fours!;)

R
rainbowfisherman
i was there in june and all together we cought 3 good rainbow trout 12 or 13 inches. we used dry flies. really fun to watch a fish surface for your fly.

this is the crooked river were talkin about right?

Last edited:
S
StonedFly
I have fished this section before, but never caught anything other then a few whitefish. I have fished the canyon below the highway 97 bridge about 4 miles downriver from there. Very nice area but hiking a boulder strewn game trail down the canyon is HARD and STEEP. Its very rewarding though if you strip olive or brown whoolybuggers then you can be rewarded with a 20+ inch broad shouldered rainbow. Also had the chance to run into old indian hyroglyphic pictures on the canyon wall next to a natural spring that came out of the side of the canyon. Take a look.

Last edited by a moderator: